I never get over the high cost of spares fer Guzzi but Peugeot Scooters got Guzzi beat!

I been working on a damaged 2000 50cc Peugeot Speedfight last few days,cost of plastic panels SKY high when I enquired so I repaired existing best I could. Then I needed a wheel spindle..cost £24!!! Christ it isnt a complicated part to make! However today I discovered the steering races were shot,I striped it out to find bearings little bigger than a mountain bikes and a very crude set up. Upon calling the dealer I found new ones were nearly £60!!!!!!! ffs thats ridiculous.....Problem is I dont think I gonna have any choice,the layout doesnt lend itself to any other bearing alternative. I thought scooters cheap to buy an run.

Sorry guys but had to have a moan about it as I've already spent too much on it and that is the final straw!

...wonder if cheaper in France or elsewhere? hmmm

Yep , have also about same experiecne with expencive parts on a yamaha scooter,once.Somthing like an airfilter 24Euros or so,ect,ect.don't know bout other arques, but I guess it can be the same.cause genarall maintainance isn't as demanding as in a big bike the small bits are rediculouslly high priced,you see,all they want is to make profit out of it.

This is the problem with short model lifespans and low number runs: there aren't enough of any one model out in the Big Room for there to be any significant cost of scale benefits.

That said, the bearings should be readily available from a bearing factor, since the manufacturer doesn't have those made up special, but orders them from a catalog...

Only solution is to look at buying a scooter (or whatever) that's been around dog's years: parts cost for a 1981 Honda C70 is pretty good, simply because it's the same bike that Honda made since the mid-60s and has licensed to others to still make today [w/ a few updates, like a front disc now & more plastic, but you get the idea...]

Cheapest car to own has got to be a VW Beetle [a real one w/ the A/C engine in the back, not one of the new Golfs w/ swoopy bodywork...] - there were only more than 27 million made, so even at a 90% attrition rate, that's still more than 2.7 million on the road today, which is better than most modern cars that have only been out a couple or 3 years. Cheapest Bike? Probably the Honda Nighthawk 750 [essentially the same bike as the revamped twin-cam Honda CB750K from back in '78 or so...] Cheapest scooter, I don't know: I already mentioned the C70 [& it's lineal descendants] but I don't consider it a true scooter in the twist'n'go sense.

Guzzis rate pretty high in the "cheap to run" category, of course: even tho' the model runs are short, the models are all pretty derivative and they've been around in various forms since the 60's. Of course, you already knew that! ;)

:mg:

Spoke to Corsa today and it seems Piaggio being pretty ruthless with old stock. Items we been able to get for yrs like 500 barrels n pistons are drying up fast as now discontinued by factory. Cables and the like soaring in price/discontinued too. However as a dealer new bike sales have soared because for once there is something truly new to buy! This means the dealers make more money and so are more financially secure which is of course a good thing. It seems the older bikes which are often in daily use will soon become just to hard to keep running spares wise.

Progress huh....

This is the problem with short model lifespans and low number runs: there aren't enough of any one model out in the Big Room for there to be any significant cost of scale benefits.

That said, the bearings should be readily available from a bearing factor, since the manufacturer doesn't have those made up special, but orders them from a catalog...

Only solution is to look at buying a scooter (or whatever) that's been around dog's years: parts cost for a 1981 Honda C70 is pretty good, simply because it's the same bike that Honda made since the mid-60s and has licensed to others to still make today [w/ a few updates, like a front disc now & more plastic, but you get the idea...]

Cheapest car to own has got to be a VW Beetle [a real one w/ the A/C engine in the back, not one of the new Golfs w/ swoopy bodywork...] - there were only more than 27 million made, so even at a 90% attrition rate, that's still more than 2.7 million on the road today, which is better than most modern cars that have only been out a couple or 3 years. Cheapest Bike? Probably the Honda Nighthawk 750 [essentially the same bike as the revamped twin-cam Honda CB750K from back in '78 or so...] Cheapest scooter, I don't know: I already mentioned the C70 [& it's lineal descendants] but I don't consider it a true scooter in the twist'n'go sense.

Guzzis rate pretty high in the "cheap to run" category, of course: even tho' the model runs are short, the models are all pretty derivative and they've been around in various forms since the 60's. Of course, you already knew that! ;)

:mg:

The steering bearings are I think a particular part to this range of scooter,not the usual tapered roller or enclosed ball variety.

I must be a right scrooge......i also own a 1971 Beetle! lol

That's not the only problem. These machines are a stopgap for a year or so before the youngster gets a car. They are virtually a throwaway item, not designed for even the most basic maintenance.

Guest redguzziv10

I never get over the high cost of spares fer Guzzi but Peugeot Scooters got Guzzi beat!

I been working on a damaged 2000 50cc Peugeot Speedfight last few days,cost of plastic panels SKY high when I enquired so I repaired existing best I could. Then I needed a wheel spindle..cost £24!!! Christ it isnt a complicated part to make! However today I discovered the steering races were shot,I striped it out to find bearings little bigger than a mountain bikes and a very crude set up. Upon calling the dealer I found new ones were nearly £60!!!!!!! ffs thats ridiculous.....Problem is I dont think I gonna have any choice,the layout doesnt lend itself to any other bearing alternative. I thought scooters cheap to buy an run.

Sorry guys but had to have a moan about it as I've already spent too much on it and that is the final straw!

...wonder if cheaper in France or elsewhere? hmmm

Andy

Try these

Wyko-FPT

telephone: 020 85941881

based in Dagenham, Essex

they got my V11 swing arm bearings at approx. a quarter of the cost of Guzzi OEM's.

You'll need to give them a part number though.

Andy

Try these

Wyko-FPT

telephone: 020 85941881

based in Dagenham, Essex

they got my V11 swing arm bearings at approx. a quarter of the cost of Guzzi OEM's.

You'll need to give them a part number though.

thanks for info,does V11 run a proper bearing then as opposed to a plain bush on the swing arm?