About to Convert

firecracker

G'day All,

What an impressive site, My first post and hopefully one of many to come in the future.

I have been riding both 2 and 4 cylinder beemers for over twenty years, but have always had a soft spot for Moto Guzzi. Well its time for a change and I am now researching which to buy, I like the V11s, Sport Corsa from 1998 and also the Mandello from 2001. But now I see the Grisso.

I am desperate for info and no doubt as I keep learning my way through this site I will become familiar with the models.

I would like to request some assistance however and as you guy's are certainly the guru's on anything Guzzi.

Can someone tell me the folowing;

What don't you like about your bikes

Are their any technical issues I should be looking for when I am viewing machines for sale.

Any thing that will help me make a good descision would be appreciated. I am trying to keep to facts and not let too much emotion come in the way of a purchase. But I can't wait to riding a bike I longed for for many years.

:D

Thanks in anticipation

Firecracker

Soon to be Guzzi Owner

Melbourne Australia

G'day All,

What an impressive site, My first post and hopefully one of many to come in the future.

I have been riding both 2 and 4 cylinder beemers for over twenty years, but have always had a soft spot for Moto Guzzi. Well its time for a change and I am now researching which to buy, I like the V11s, Sport Corsa from 1998 and also the Mandello from 2001. But now I see the Grisso.

I am desperate for info and no doubt as I keep learning my way through this site I will become familiar with the models.

I would like to request some assistance however and as you guy's are certainly the guru's on anything Guzzi.

Can someone tell me the folowing;

Are their any technical issues I should be looking for when I am viewing machines for sale.

Any thing that will help me make a good descision would be appreciated. I am trying to keep to facts and not let too much emotion come in the way of a purchase. But I can't wait to riding a bike I longed for for many years.

Thanks in anticipation

Firecracker

Soon to be Guzzi Owner

Melbourne Australia

Welcome, Firecracker,

I've owned and ridden bikes of many varieties for many years. I love my '04 Cafe Sport.

Like you, I sought advice from this wonderful forum on which model to purchase, and am very pleased with the outcome. The particular model I chose is only a personal preference for the tradeoffs. I also have received lots of generous and patient advice on simple improvements to make on the original to prevent long term problems.

I'm sure you'll receive loads of good info. There are many experts participating in this forum, as you'll soon see. I'm a relative newcomer. I have been keeping files on many topics related to the V11 series newer than 2002. I would be willing to send you once you make a decision, but you would have to be specific, because there are too many to send them all.

Good luck,

John

Welcome, Firecracker,

I've owned and ridden bikes of many varieties for many years. I love my '04 Cafe Sport.

Like you, I sought advice from this wonderful forum on which model to purchase, and am very pleased with the outcome. The particular model I chose is only a personal preference for the tradeoffs. I also have received lots of generous and patient advice on simple improvements to make on the original to prevent long term problems.

I'm sure you'll receive loads of good info. There are many experts participating in this forum, as you'll soon see. I'm a relative newcomer. I have been keeping files on many topics related to the V11 series newer than 2002. I would be willing to send you once you make a decision, but you would have to be specific, because there are too many to send them all.

Good luck,

John

One more comment: At the New York Motorcycle show last month, the rep at the Guzzi booth told me that all the new models except the Nevada have oil filters which are externally accessable. Earlier models, including my '04, had the oil filter within the sump, which meant one had to remove an access cover in the bottom of the sump, or remove the entire sump to get to it. There have been numerous threads on the cause of these oil filters loosening up and causing bottom end damage on quite a few bikes. I'm not sure exactly which model year the change was made. If you decide to buy a Guzzi with the older style filter location, be sure to educate yourself this issue. Everything you need to know is in threads in this forum.

Hi Firecracker...you'll never regret going Guzzi...if you really love motorcycling.

I've been an avid rider for over 35yrs. Even spent 10 yrs. racing everything from MX to

RR to ice racing. To this day all I want to do is ride...camp ..ride

I rode mostly performance inlines after teething on British twins in the 70s.

I got my first Guzzi 6 yrs. ago....a 1980 1000SP ...after a season on that I was hooked.

It took me another 5 years to land my V11 LeMans..after a 3 year affair with a lovely Ducati.

My 02 LeMans is a little quirky but nothing serious. I went down the forum here and headed all the

little gremlins off @ the pass. 27,000 mi and I've never been stranded. (well once, close to home...wheel bearing.) None of that matters. The thrill and satisfaction of a Guzzi just makes everything else "white bread".

I think the aforementioned oil filter problem is a rare occasion. I've never thought twice about it but will pay extra attention when spinning a new one on.

There's people on this forum that are the quintesential Guzzi Gurus....

Greg Field of Moto International ..Seattle....he has the inside skinny on the oil filter deal....

Pete Roper... Guzzi Proffesor and sit down comedian. AU ...down your way

Todd Haven...Dr. of all things Guzzi...MPH down in Texas..

And a number of others who I am embarrased to leave out because of thier incredible contribution to this

board, it's menbers and the fantastic bikes we ride and love.

Get thee hence and log on 100km on one and let the big grin come.

As much fun as Ducs, and Ks, and Rs and CBRs are, the Guzzi is just much more so.

Thunder and grace. :mg:

:thumbsup: well said ouiji a very good introduction spiel. and many happy returns for the day. [you old codger] just keep on keepin on. and welcome to the forum ''firecracker'' :bier:

uote name='Ouiji Veck' date='Feb 2 2007, 04:32 PM' post='112806']

Hi Firecracker...you'll never regret going Guzzi...if you really love motorcycling.

I've been an avid rider for over 35yrs. Even spent 10 yrs. racing everything from MX to

RR to ice racing. To this day all I want to do is ride...camp ..ride

I rode mostly performance inlines after teething on British twins in the 70s.

I got my first Guzzi 6 yrs. ago....a 1980 1000SP ...after a season on that I was hooked.

It took me another 5 years to land my V11 LeMans..after a 3 year affair with a lovely Ducati.

My 02 LeMans is a little quirky but nothing serious. I went down the forum here and headed all the

little gremlins off @ the pass. 27,000 mi and I've never been stranded. (well once, close to home...wheel bearing.) None of that matters. The thrill and satisfaction of a Guzzi just makes everything else "white bread".

I think the aforementioned oil filter problem is a rare occasion. I've never thought twice about it but will pay extra attention when spinning a new one on.

There's people on this forum that are the quintesential Guzzi Gurus....

Greg Field of Moto International ..Seattle....he has the inside skinny on the oil filter deal....

Pete Roper... Guzzi Proffesor and sit down comedian. AU ...down your way

Todd Haven...Dr. of all things Guzzi...MPH down in Texas..

And a number of others who I am embarrased to leave out because of thier incredible contribution to this

board, it's menbers and the fantastic bikes we ride and love.

Get thee hence and log on 100km on one and let the big grin come.

As much fun as Ducs, and Ks, and Rs and CBRs are, the Guzzi is just much more so.

Thunder and grace. :mg:

G'day All,

. . . Any thing that will help me make a good descision would be appreciated. I am trying to keep to facts and not let too much emotion come in the way of a purchase. But I can't wait to riding a bike I longed for for many years.

Thanks in anticipation

Firecracker

Soon to be Guzzi Owner

Melbourne Australia

Welcome to the forum firecracker. Your first post reminded me of my first post back on 30 June 0f 2005. Within five months of research on here, I had accomplished my goal, and have never regretted my decision one bit.

Guest Gary Cheek

Started out riding Britbikes. About 30 Brits preceeded my first Guzzi, a 1971 Ambassador basket case that was darn near new when I bought it. After Royal Enfield Interceptors, Matchless twins and singles, AJS, Triumph, Velos and BSA and Triumphs of 1 2 and 3 cylinder variations, the Guzzi was a whole new world.

The Guzzi immediately impressed me as a product from a proud comapny that was determined to deliver a quality machine, The stainless spokes and Borranni wheels were deluxe apointments of the type seldom seen at that time. The electric starter worked well and the generator was a monstous (for the day) 300+ watt unit. I have had a few Nortons and Ducatis in the interim but there have been a total of 17 Guzzis since the AMBO and every one was a good machine.

The Guzzi of late has been beset by a few issues and most of us consider them minor glitches compared to the immense joy of owning and riding the wonderful Vee Twin. The parts interchangeablity make for good modification opportunities. Greg Field and Dave Richardson among others are good resources for interchange info. Guzzi folks enjoy customs and seldom show any sign of snobbery towards another for modifying a machine.

The bikes are very basic to work on. In my opinion the spine frames are among the easiest to service. One of the main concerns among the new machines happens to be clutch and flywheel related. The issues are really easy to remedy at a cost, If you are considering, for example a Scura you may want to allow a few $$ for a replacement flywheel ?clutch assembly.

Otherwise they are really little different from most other bikes and for the most part easier to service.

Good luck, We are here for you, for whatever that is worth!

Welcome to the joy of potential Guzzi ownership!

My words would be,

There are four types of Guzzi owner?...those that love the older say pre V1100 models, these guys like the simple no frills perhaps almost agricultural approach Guzzi once enjoyed,they dont mind hours or even weeks undertaking major overhauls when required (not often) they enjoy vintage motorcycling. That said in their day they were honestly as good as any competitor but with a bit of soul n character.

Then we move to the more modern bikes the V1100 range of bikes,early examples sported carbs but soon moved to fuel injection. These bikes are more advanced in many ways using mono shock suspensions and in some cases inverted forks too. Braking took a leap forward and controls became lighter to use. Colours and models changed yearly but the core bike changed little save for a bigger 'facelift' around 04. These bikes need far less attention than the earlier bikes but still have that Guzzi soul an character in abundance. They are not perfect however and do sufer a few issues the majority of which have been discussed here. Few are major ones that should put you off ownership.

Then we have the latest bikes spawned by the PIAGGIO ownership. These are bang up to date bikes with all the whistles an bells the japs or germans have but with Latin design flair too. I have ridden only one myself but everyone i speak to has little to criticise on them. I do feel a little of that Guzzi soul may have been lost in the update but not owning / living with one perhaps should not comment more. I guess these new machines will have few faults or 'bad habits'. They are more perhaps for the modern biker who wants reliability and the latest style above all else.

Finally, the fourth type of owner? They love emm all! :D

So, there you have my 'words of wisdom' on your question, which Guzzi?

An a right load of drivel it was too.... :lol:

G'day All,

Thanks in anticipation

Firecracker

Soon to be Guzzi Owner

Melbourne Australia

Well , I have Sport Corsa, no problems whatsoever so far in the 55Kkm I ride it.

Answering your question , about what I don't like more or less.

Not so comfortable for long travels, tank with 17.5lt or so,compatibility tyre profile compromise when chossing a sport tyre, for the back wheel, wears 70, has to go to 60 (though the Datona RS, wears 60 , with exact same chasis AFAIK).Not an external oil filter.Side stand a bit forwards than it should.

If you want a reliable, agile,beautifull and rare bike , get the corsa '98, the last bike Guzzi did before was bought from Aprilia.

DSCN05CheBella2.jpg