TIRES, TIRES, TIRES

Guest Phil/TX

I can't believe nobody mentioned the best tire for v11 family of bikes ; 010.

For narrower rim 160/60, wider rim 170/60. Wears 5,000 miles rear on the street, sticks like nothing else, front cupping minimal. The price is great too.

The only choice IMO.

None of you guys uses them? I am really surprised.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian Robson

I totally agree with you John. I really like the 020's, but when it is time to change, I will go to the 010's. I used them on a Speed Triple and got 20,000Kms on the back with no cupping on the front.

Ha! For a sporting tire, my stock BT57's lasted 10K miles! But they were badly cupped up front and the rear was worn flat in the middle by then.

Darn good tire when new, but the tendency to wear flat in the middle from hiway riding made them unsuitable for me. If my Pilot Street tires give me 8K miles before wearing out I'll be very happy.

None of you guys uses them? I am really surprised.

I do use them on my 00 Sport. :grin: But, I will be going to the Sportecs when I steepen up the headangle! :thumbsup:

The 010 is the best tire for the early sports with the 4.5 inch. rear rim.

IMO.

Mike

I agree.....at least so far anyway (I'm on my second 010 rear and got about 11,000 km out of the first vs 12,500 km on the stock 57)

Gio

Guest Phil/TX

I have decided on the conti's, based on price and avalibility. Heck, if a old slow fat man like me wear's them out this fast, why not buy by volume. B):homer:

I have decided on the conti's, based on price and avalibility. Heck, if a old slow fat man like me wear's them out this fast, why not buy by volume. B):homer:

The last thing I would try to save some buck would be the tires. There is nothing more crucial to your safety then tires, no matter how slow and carefully you might ride your bike.

I always buy the best tires available. On any bike. If during the lifetime of riding they saved my skin or life only once I consider it was a good deal.

The front/rear set of BT010 cost below $200 US delivered to your front door. How much saving is your life worth?

I'd rather economize and save on oil, dealer fees, insurance, engine, fancy adorments etc. etc.

Valid points Janusz. On the other hand, a lot of riders never approach the limits of their tire's capabilities. Also, Continentals, being German tires, aren't at the bottom of the rung in the tire world.

Sorry fo saying that, but your point is moot.

Say, you're riding one day nice and slowly on your familiar road. It was sunny an hour ago but now light rain developed so you turned around and start heading for home.

Suddenly a kid runs out of a driveway chasing a ball. You brake hard and try to swerve. Your tire almost slides but you recover.

Here. You not only approached but even touched your tire limit without any intention to do so. Had you bought a little bit lesser tire you'd smashed your bike, injured yourself and maybe even somebody's kid.

I found the Conti to have excellent grip in dry weather, and above average grip when wet. My only problems were the mileage may be less and the front end felt like it was going to shake at 110+MPH when I went to the Conti on the rear. This may have been because of the smaller tire size messing up the geometry. Other than that the Conti was the best tire that I have tried on this bike regardless of price.

If you want to put your money where safety is concerned, replace your tires before the center tread reaches the wear indicator. Most people I know replace the tires when the center tread disappears, which is too late. Some even run through the rubber to the belt. NOT a good idea. (And yah, I have worn my Cheng Shin's to the belt when I was a lot poorer and inexperienced.) I just reached the wear indicator of my Conti, so I am not practicing what I preach...but it will be replaced as soon as convenient.

I recommend the Conti's to anyone on a budget, Great Buy! But beware that mileage and stability MAY suffer. But my experience may be due to other issues. Safety is not a problem with the Conti's below 100MPH.

Guest Phil/TX

I got the Conti installed, the proper size, and balanced.........feels better than the Dunlop, but not as good as the Bridgestones that came on the bike. I will report again after a few thousand miles. :mg:

Just replaced my 160 conti with a sportec 160 and it works great.

No speed wobble! Tested all the way to 123 veglia mph.

So the speed wobble was from the Conti and not the 160/60 sized tire.

Could be i had a bad tire or my geometry is a little sensitive.

Phil, let us know if you experience high speed wobble.

I liked the contiforce below 90mph.

Run bridgestone 011's (010 with different tread pattern) on the front 020 on the rear get aproximatly 16-20 000km's. Sport 1100 carbed the rear will gently slide on a cold morning in a low gear but you really have to provoke it. The older BT57's someone metioned are the equvilent of the 020 athough they didn't last anywhere near as long 8-9000 kms in my experince anyway. The pirelli evo provides (not the corsa) a good alternative to the 010 bridge stone and they don't bulge cup or scolop whatever you call it in your locality athough they are more pricey they also require another 4-5 psi over a bridgestone otherwise they tend to feel "tucky".

Bridgestone has recently dropped the 010 and replaced it with the 012 (not to be confused with the 012ss which is a production race compund) I think it was to solve the wear problems with the 010's (why i don't use Michelen pilot sports). The 011 is a standard fit tyre fot the Suzuki GSXR range not readily avalible but if you ring the local bridgestone dealer that can get it for you cost is no different to the standard 010/012 I am trying this because I think the tread pattern was the major contributing factor to the uneven wearing on the 010's.

Well thats my recommendation is 012 front or 012SS and 020 rear.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the front tyre?

I find the 120 tyre very "slippy" on gravel :blink:

What do you think about trying a 110/70?

According to this Avon chart it should be possible to go down to 110 and 150 on my rims.