TIRES, TIRES, TIRES

Guest Phil/TX

Guest Phil/TX

I have 10,200 miles on my 02 Le Mans, and the stock Bridgestones lasted Miles. I could have gotten another800 to 1000 miles, but I was going on a long trip, and changed it early. Now I put on a Dunlop 220ST, and only got 4,760 miles before to my horror :( the cord was showing through. :wacko: I live in Texas, with not a lot of curves, so the center weares out fast..........any idea's on the best tire for my application? Phil/TX

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my Sport 1100i, I regularly got 7500 miles per set of Pirelli MTR23/24's. That bike is a tad lighter than the V11 Sport and the tire sizes a bit different as well. Oddly enough, the Sport 1100i fairing creates enough downwards force that the front tire wears out at nearly the same rate as the rear tire. On my V11 Sport, the front lasts a bunch longer. Currently, I am running Metzeler M1 Sportecs. I like these tires and they seem to be good for at least 5000 on the rear and probably 7-8 thousand on the front.

I use the Michelin Pilot Sport "Street" tires. Supposed to have a harder compound in the middle for better sport touring. Good grip and handling. I'm very happy with them. Only 1200 miles on them so far, but we'll see how they last. They are aimed at sport tourers.

Guest scott

Sorry to hear about the poor milage you got of the Dunlop 220's. These are the tires I had planned to put on the LeMans in the near future, but now I may rethink that. I'd be interested to know if any other folks out there are running the new Dunlop 220's?! :huh2:

I ran through a set of the 220's on my Le Mans in about 4000 miles.

In retrospect, I did not like them nearly as much as the BT020's I replaced them with.

ATTENTION Le Mans Owners: Using the 170/60 BT020 instead of that poser 180/55 that comes on the bike will result in far better handling overall with just a little quicker turn-in.

Sadly, I only got about 300 miles on them before the accident.

Ride well. Ride safe. WEAR YOUR GEAR!

-Jack Price

Glendale, CA

02 V11 Le Mans (RIP)

01 BMW R1100S

01 KTM Duke II

83 V50 III

Guest roger

I went through a set of 220's in 3300 miles on my v11 sport. I now have Pirelli Diablos on my Scura and love them. Currently I have a little over 1000 hard miles on them, and they display very little wear. The stock 020's lasted about 3000 miles before they got frightening to ride on.

I presently have 3400 miles on the stock 020's, and it appears I'll have to change both of them within 1000 miles. But I'll probably go with the same ones, as they feel just fine to me.

Jack,

Not to dance on someone's grave.... but what happened to the carcass of your wrecked LeMans? I'd love to have a crack at some salvage parts.

BTW, I don't remember hearing about your accident. What happened?

Glad to hear like it sounds like you are OK though??

al

I got 6500 on my 020's so I replaced them with another set. I did use up the rear pretyy much though as I noticed definite handling degridation. :helmet:

Guest jeremy

I put 220's on this spring and they are terrible, I managed to destroy the rear in less than 4000 miles. I'm going back to continental conti force tires, they don't last to much longer but they handle good and are well within my budget, especially when I'm on track for a 15000+ mile year. Don't knock these tires cause their inexpensive tire, they are well constructed and work very well, as good as any of the other tires I have used. :bier:

this is a hard issue..

the cost of testing tires are quiet high.

I still has the stock BT57s on my V11, 2 years old but only 2000 km yet.

I not completely happy with the grip and handling even in dry conditions.

According to Bridgestone's website

BT57 is a "sport tire" while 020s is for touring, which makes me

even more concerned about the not too good grip.

I just changed tires on the Beeza from Metzeler "classics" to modern tires

(Avon AM20/21 Roadrunner), it like another bike. I have to go out this weekend

and do some hard run with the old-timer :grin:

Think I will try Pirelli Diablos next year on the V11 since I heard good things

about them. Only hope they match my V11 and my riding style. :mellow:

Whatever tires I have tried I have been getting about 5000 miles out of the rear and 6000 out of the front. The front usually gets replaced with plenty of tread left because it wears irregularly.

History so far.

OE Bridgestones may have been the most stable and almost the best gripping, but the front cupped like crazy.

5240 miles replaced rear with Avon Azarro II good tire but did not grip as quite as well as OE.

about 6000 miles put on front Avon Azarro II good tire, less cupping than OE, stable.

10610 miles put on Pirelli Dragon GTS on rear, Best rear tire so far, but marginal differences.

12450 miles put on Pirelli Dragon GTS on front, Great tire, quick handling, but a little less stable. Much less cupping than preceding tires.

16,275 miles put on Contiforce 160/60, cheap but surprisingly may have the best grip of any tire, the only problem is the stability went bad! Scared to go over 110mph(veglia mph) But medium and low speed handling is excellent. The change in size had a large effect, but I am not sure about the high speed stability issue.

18,800 miles put on Metzeler Sportec on front. Feels very similar to the Pirelli,Perhaps a little better grip but possibly even quicker and more nervous.

Now at 19,500 miles and the Conti is already level at the center wear indicator. Granted it saw more Interstate Highway miles than the others did.

Still looking for a better tire, especially for the front.

May even consider an old Metzeler Laser, but have hopes for Michelin.

May try Diablo on the rear as it may match the front sportec ok.

02 Scura, Std 020's don't give me a lot of confidence, & yes the front cups really bad. Back feels overtyred with std. 180/55. ProfWacko reccommends 170/60, Dlaing 160/60 (was loss of high speed stability due to brand or size change?). I'm thinking to try Pirelli Diablos or Sportecs (told they are same carcass w/different tread) next, but unsure as to size. I agree with the professor, the 180/55 is for pose, and with the power output...look good tho!

ProfWacko reccommends 170/60, Dlaing 160/60 (was loss of high speed stability due to brand or size change?).

The 00 and 01 Sports had a 4.5 inch. width on the rear rim and came stock with the 170/60 tire. Putting a 160/60 tire on helped make the bike more stable.

The 02, 03 Lemans have a 5.5 inch width on the rear rim and can use either the 170 or 180 width. The Sportec M1 looks more narrow than the Bridgestones in the 180 size. I am compleatly happy with the 180/55 Sportec rear tire! :thumbsup::bike: It is a step up in performance from the Bridgestone 020.

Mike