Front crossover / balance pipe

slowkitty

Saw this statement in JRT's excellent run-down on changes to V11 model:

"'03 was a 'big' year for changes in the V11; many improvements were made. Fork diameter is larger, front axle diameter is larger and the axle is hollow. A front crossover or balance pipe is added above the alternator (improves midrange performance). "

How can I tell if my late '02 Scura has that? Sorry if the answer seems obvious, but I really do not know what to look out for.

Thanks

Cat

It's a pipe connecting the left and right exhausts. Each cylinder needs a certain volume of exhast chamber to perform well. Since they are not igniting at the same time, this pipe makes each cylinder use both exhausts.

Guest ratchethack

How can I tell if my late '02 Scura has that? Sorry if the answer seems obvious, but I really do not know what to look out for.

Cat, if you had it, you'd likely be pretty familiar with it. It's the loose pipe with the leaky joints that runs between the headers and bangs and clatters against the alternator cover just below the round part of the cover with the Guzzi eagle. <_<

Cat, if you had it, you'd likely be pretty familiar with it. It's the loose pipe with the leaky joints that runs between the headers and bangs and clatters against the alternator cover just below the round part of the cover with the Guzzi eagle. <_>

Loose pipe with leaky joints on a Guzzi :huh2: I must have really lucked out, mine is rock solid which is a surprise especially for having lived in Maryland. Would love to get straight pipes made somewhere down the road.

Loose pipe with leaky joints on a Guzzi :huh2: I must have really lucked out, mine is rock solid which is a surprise especially for having lived in Maryland. Would love to get straight pipes made somewhere down the road.

You are not alone- mine's fine too.

Guy :helmet:

Mine's seems to be solid.

Should we have a poll?

-Jack

WAYYyyyyyy more of these bikes are solid than just about any other brand out there (mechanically, NOT electrically :lol: ) just take a look around, one that may be on par or even a tiny bit better but only at first is Aprilia as I can't see a RSV putting on 100K mi's before any serious work needs to be done. Look around for that too Many MANY guzzi's have broken the 100k and even the 200k marks with only friction bits needing to be replaced ie bearings, tires, clutches ect.

Guest ratchethack

Guys .. I'm worried ... :(

No worries, my friend!

I'd ride with confidence and be mighty thankful you don't have wot for many has been a curse. :glare:

Despite the above number of reports of "solid" front crossovers without evident problems, there have been many reports here and elsewhere of chronic leaking, along with various, mostly unsuccesful, attempts to deal with it. There was a custom run of special exhaust crossover shims made by someone awhile back. These shims were apparently installed by many Forum members and evidently met with some success. My Pal's '04 LM had so many returns to his dealer without a resolution over this problem that he eventually got sick of it and had the headers welded shut. He's been running without the crossover ever since -- with no evidence of any change in performance.

If you need something to work on and want to be really productive, howzabout givin' y'er Guzzi her only chance of handling the way she was designed to handle :wub: , and set up y'er suspension? ;):race:

I figured since that was almost a year ago, all set would be gone by now. I'll post and see.

Thanks,

Richard Z.

or better yet just try and get some new headers I know you could get a complete quatD system with such a deal, the front balance pipe really is more of a curse than a good fix, a good crossover does the same job. Leave it to luigi to over-engineer something difficult and miss something simple :luigi:

Despite the above number of reports of "solid" front crossovers without evident problems, there have been many reports here and elsewhere of chronic leaking, along with various, mostly unsuccesful, attempts to deal with it. There was a custom run of special exhaust crossover shims made by someone awhile back. These shims were apparently installed by many Forum members and evidently met with some success. My Pal's '04 LM had so many returns to his dealer without a resolution over this problem that he eventually got sick of it and had the headers welded shut. He's been running without the crossover ever since -- with no evidence of any change in performance.

I suppose I am in the "mostly unsuccessful group."

Had the typical problems that started this all off with the blown gaskets. Tried various "fixes" without success.

Went the SS shim route and those certainly worked, at least to the extent that they fit, stay in place, don't leak, and keep the pipe from flopping.

That said, I am convinced--doesn't mean I'm right, just convinced :whistle: --that cinching 'em down with the shims led to a too-rigid exhaust structure leading eventually to header-pipe fracture near the head exhaust flange.

I have thought about putting the shims back in, but only tightening one side, allowing other side to "float" a bit, hopefully allowing some ogf the fracture-inducing vibes to dissipate that way.

So, am mystified--a state I inhabit frequently--how your friend's LM has had 'em welded without fractures. That would be inconvenient as it might mean I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Bill