A second Guzzi

Lamedog

I should really be changing my fork oil and putting on the new front disks, but while the garage is cool I've been considering more serious upgrades. My Champagne '02 is well sorted and I'm pleased. But then along comes a red one with Ti pipes at a fair price. But here I am in Bay Area California, and there that bike is in another state..

Whereas the last bike was easily registered (no Motor Vehicle inspection), I'm concerned that an out of state bike is a red flag and will be inspected. Those fancy pipes won't pass (I presume they are stamped "Off-Road", so we'd be counting on the benevolance of HIghway patrol), and I'll have to refit the carbon cannister, and etc.

Thoughts? Do I spend a few hundred for new disks, or a few grand on a new bike and sell my '02 when prices and weather firm up? Also - any peculiarities of an '04 over the '02 that I may be overlooking?

Having seen only a handful of these '02 and '04 bikes, the later models appear to have a better fit and finish. Certainly the engine/driveline paint is better. Also, doesn't the '02 have the Veglia clocks? Pretty, but maybe more fussy than the later guages.

Perhaps the biggest difference is the gas tank with the internal fuel pump.

Slipping on some stock Lafranconi pipes for the inspection party seems prudent. -_-

Guest ratchethack

Coupla well-worn cliche's may be helpful:

The grass is always greener.....(you know the rest)

A bird in the hand.....(ditto) :whistle:;)

The logistics here confuse me.

Could you not ... erm ... just to check fit ;) ... put your LeMans pipes on the new Guzzi when you have to discuss titling, etc.?

I also thought that the Guzzi Ti's were street legal.

Oh well, back to chores ... yes, dear, be right there. :D

Thanks for the comments. Was hoping to hear from the knowledgeable whether the Ti pipes are street legal. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. Presume this is like the the Triumph performance kit - labeled not for street.

Yes it would be a sure thing if my current bike had legal pipes - just more juggling. But no. My current pipes sound too good for stock and would likely fail if the inspecting officer decided to shine a flashlight down the pipe. I can just see this unraveling to where I need to pick up another set of pipes. At that point I'd end up with 2 bikes, three pipes, uggh. The logistics and eBay implications stink.

I think Mr. Ratchet is correct - this is a grass is greener thing that is best gotten over. Oh well, off to the garage.....

>>My ti pipes have "for racing only" :race: stamped on the underside of the st/steel band.

So does mine, but meesathinkin that it should not be a problem because it took me a little while to find it.

Plus there's that prominent factory logo on the outside.

If it turns out to be a problem, I've got my stock ones (izza 2004) that I'll loan you.

-Jack

racing_only.jpg

muffler_logo_small.jpg

>>My ti pipes have "for racing only" :race: stamped on the underside of the st/steel band.

So does mine, but meesathinkin that it should not be a problem because it took me a little while to find it.

Plus there's that prominent factory logo on the outside.

If it turns out to be a problem, I've got my stock ones (izza 2004) that I'll loan you.

-Jack

I hate u guys, I tried so hard to find a set of these, gave up and got FBF pipes then MAGICALLY there was a set here and there I coulda got and its like well WTF, oh well my FBF are louder and have just as good of a finish tho I still would like some Ti over Carbon, for carbon will only last so long b4 they get sun burned :(

Lamedog,

I don't know the particulars of California law. If I remember correctly registering a used bike with x miles (I don't remember the minimum) in California is no big deal. Not the same as registering a new one. If Someone else has more knowledge about this please share it. Also, I would be willing to put the bike back to stock for you. ie. stock cans, ecu, and charcoal cannister.

Rocketman