Al's First Dyno Run

As a side note waiting while you listen to your get bike dynoed in closed-off room can be a rather tense experience. You start to imagine all kinds of parts flying off and potential catastrophes as you hearthose revs climb. SCARY!!! :blink:

:lol: ... it's funny you mention that, as my GF and I were saying the same thing during the first run. We were standing outside the garage, about 50 feet directly behind the thing, and when it really started to "wail"... we both looked at each other rather curiously... then slowly scooted off to the side hoping that no shrapnel would be flying our way.

...and yes, it was LOUD.... man :blink: I said, "boy, I feel sorry for their neighbors!"

As another aside, I joked with Denise that, "..hey, maybe it will fly off the dyno... wouldn't that be funny?! :huh: " But seriously, I love the bike, and that would "suck"... but on the other hand, it's insured, and that would be "one heck of a show" ... as long as no one got hurt of course ^_^

I often laugh to myself in the same vein when the mechanics have my truck waaaaay up on a lift... I'm like, "ohhh baby, fall off, daddy needs a new paint job" :rolleyes:

al

BTW, just a quick note.... and to Rich Maund's question as well... you may remember that when I gave the bike to Hare to map, I asked for a balance between efficiency and power, leaning toward the economy/efficiency end of the scale.

So, the final map was a bit leaner than my top dyno run, which had a bit more HP. Todd Eagan at Guzzitech plotted this run over a stock '00 V11 Sport.

Al's top Dyno Run, but with a richer map

This mapping, that we didn't stick with, gave me 84.17HP, and 62.76ft-lbs. So there's more to be gained for sure, it just depends on the trade-offs one is willing to make.

So, since my "goal" is an eventual 90 rear-wheel HP, I'm nearly there really :bike: Just about 6hp short, under ideal conditions of course :P

al

Why would you care about fuel mileage at the rare moments of Wide Open Throttle?

I had mine dyno'd for 13.5 below and equal to 40 percent throttle and for 13.0 (I seem to recall) above 40 percent, but had them maximize the power output at wide open throttle with disregard for fuel economy. As long as I am light on the throttle I should get better gas mileage when I need to. (Paid an extra $25 to have the power maximized)

I guess if you want to cross the Mojave at wide open throttle and not run out of gas, running a compromise of efficiency and power at 100 percent throttle makes sense.

Perhaps you'll get better driveability if the Lamda curve does not jump around.

And atleast you have two maps so you know where to modify. Dyno-Dudes only gave me the map on the PCIII despite my wanting to have multiple maps. Perhaps Todd can help me extrapilate how many map numbers will change the air to fuel ration by a decimal point. I suspect there is not a direct correllation, but perhaps it can be approximated from the data in the before and after.

Why would you care about fuel mileage at the rare moments of Wide Open Throttle?

...hrmm, good point, although that's not exactly what I was asking of them. I was asking for "across the board" better mileage, as well as power, and if that meant sacrificing a couple peak HP, I was OK with that. They actually said that was an excellent plan, as many customers come in not really knowing what their goal is.

Since I plan to take this bike on long duration trips here and there, gas mileage maximization through areas just such as the Mojave would be a good idea. I almost ran out in Zion a couple years back, and that wasn't going to look like a lot of fun :rolleyes:

But yes, I see your point. Once I have this idle issue more-or-less sorted out, and have some more miles racked-up... I'll probably go back and get yet another map made. Plus one of these days, once I get the dual-plug thing going... that'll be a new map too ^_^

So I'm sure I'll see some changes over time. Heck Todd just sent me a modified version of the map I just got :P

...so I'll be trying that out tomorrow! :bike:

al

That's pretty much what Brent Prindle was aiming for on his Sport 1100i http://www.motointernational.com/project.html. The last time I corressponded with him, he said the dual plugged heads were consistently giving him more than 50mpg. Lots of power is neat - if you have a place to use it, otherwise, 99.8% of the time you're just running the bike and strong but efficient is a valid choice.

Al,

I've got 8500 or so miles on my V11sport- it runs better as I put more miles on it. Typical for Guzzi.

So....

Get out there and put some miles on. Even short 50-75 mile rides add up if you go every day.

Cheers,

Jason

You guys smokin' crack? :huh:

Callithrix, I've e-mailed you direct and can tweak your map for you. David, I'm still awaiting yours.

I'll be adjusting Al's a few more times as well... just need some feedback from him.

I've suggested target air/fuel ranges, and those who are saying they are having surging problems have all been mapped too lean. Those digital dynorun files are the tell-all.

David, the Dynojet "250 load-cell" Tuning Link Dyno takes most all variations out of the mix here. The software compensates for most everything, though everyone knows that elevation has alot to do with max power. For example, Dynojet in Vegas (which my Jackal was mapped) is 4500' elevation. Dyno Dudes is 1515', and Hare Racing shows 100' and looks to be near some really nice ocean air (which I'm also assuming was really well ventilated). Only the older inertia Dynojet 150 dynos will show higher no's.

I'd like to post any/all maps on GuzziTech.com once they have been adjusted and are deemed the best possible test ridden state. I do plan on posting the Dyno graphs there as well, as are the many others already - Thanks for sending your's along, Al.

You folks should feel free to e-mail me direct with any questions/comments. I'll try to be of help any way I can.

Goin' ridin' now.

Todd@GuzziTech.com

'Certified PCIII Tech'

MGNOC SoCal Rep

PCIII'ed '00 Jackal w/86k+ (s)miles.

Yep Jason, I'lll be taking lots of little rides these next weeks. It ran really well yesterday actually, only hiccuping twice... but then again it was a string of short rides, and the weather was very very mild and cool. It seems more sensitive to this behavior once really hot.

Todd, thanks for the updated map, and I plan to get it installed today if I end up going for a ride... which is the plan :bike:

I'll let you know if I notice any difference.

thx :thumbsup:

al