on the subject of shilelighs....

A few people showed an interest in these things so thought I'd add a bit.

They are typically made of Blackthorn, and about 18 inches long. The idea was they were easily concealable, as it was illegal for the irish(catholic) peasantry to carry a weapon while the penal laws were in force ie 17 and 18 century.

there's about 4 different ways of spelling it because it's an english bastardation of the Irish words,

SAIL EILLE. Sail means cudgel and eille means elyptical. (or so my Dad reckons, my Irish being nowhere near as good as his).

Apart from beating up the odd English man, they would have been used in faction fighting, where a team from one landlord would try to beat the shit out of another's team. Who knows why, but I'd say they could do serious damage.

There's actually a village in county Wicklow, on the east coast just south of Dublin, and it's named after it, called Shilellagh, and even they seem to be unsure whether there's 2or 3 "l"s in the spelling.

They're easy enough to get hold of, any diddly eye tourist shop here would have a few, and I'd be amazed if you couldn't get one on the net. I think they even sell them in the duty frees at the airports.

There endeth the lesson!

stick_2.jpg

A few people showed an interest in these things so thought I'd add a bit.

They are typically made of Blackthorn, and about 18 inches long. The idea was they were easily concealable, as it was illegal for the irish(catholic) peasantry to carry a weapon while the penal laws were in force ie 17 and 18 century.

there's about 4 different ways of spelling it because it's an english bastardation of the Irish words,

SAIL EILLE. Sail means cudgel and eille means elyptical. (or so my Dad reckons, my Irish being nowhere near as good as his).

Apart from beating up the odd English man, they would have been used in faction fighting, where a team from one landlord would try to beat the shit out of another's team. Who knows why, but I'd say they could do serious damage.

There's actually a village in county Wicklow, on the east coast just south of Dublin, and it's named after it, called Shilellagh, and even they seem to be unsure whether there's 2or 3 "l"s in the spelling.

They're easy enough to get hold of, any diddly eye tourist shop here would have a few, and I'd be amazed if you couldn't get one on the net. I think they even sell them in the duty frees at the airports.

There endeth the lesson!

thanks for the inside scoup, BUT the ones you show in the picture are shite, not even close to real. I reckon you want to save all the good shilelighs for yourself. :bier:

thanks for the inside scoup, BUT the ones you show in the picture are shite

OK

For you

W00504pi.jpg

not sure if Americans have the right sort of puff to inflate a boyo like this though?

Hi'ya Ferguzzi!

back in the old country, South Africa, you'd find a very similar walking stick/weapon, mostly a Zulu and Swazi item, called a "knobkerrie" in modern times,

images_6_.jpgimages_3_.jpg

used to terrible effect against their enemies, ( the British, the Boers, and sadly each other ) all in all a very useful tool, a great walking stick for going through the veld, good against snakes and keeping moderate sized beasties at bay, ( not so good against lion etc. ) and not classified as a "real" weapon by the authorities, so carried by all the men in the bush and bloody perfect for skull bashing in !!

:bier:

Cheers

Van

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldtoolie

Of course the one-percenters sometimes wield a ball-peen hammer in battle.

And then tell the cops that it isn't a weapon, just part of a Harley's tool kit.