Harley Texture black paint

KiloSjon

I have read somewhere that if you use a heat gun on the Harley paint after you have applied it, that is supposed to improve the finish.

Guy :helmet:

I tried that on a test part, and I would be very careful with that, since the harley paint will bubble if you heat it too much, and then you are where you started (with bubbly paint on your engine)...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi KiloSjon,

I have the same problem with my Guzzi.

How did you manage to get the old paint of?

Did you also take of the whole part, or did you just use al lot tape to cover the other parts?

like to hear from you

Rob

Hi KiloSjon,

I have the same problem with my Guzzi.

How did you manage to get the old paint of?

Did you also take of the whole part, or did you just use al lot tape to cover the other parts?

like to hear from you

Rob

I used paintremover, a wirebrush (in the drilling machine and manual) and a flat screwdriver. Finished it with some fine sandpaper. And (do not forget!) carefully de-grease it with thinner.

You can of course do it while it is on the bike, but it will be very hard to get to all the places to remove the paint. You can do it for a quick fix, but if you want to do it good, I think removing it is worth while (not a lot of work, and makes your job a lot easier).

Good luck!

I'm working on some parts of the bike that should be black, but are flaky and corroded. Managed to remove the old paint, and wanted to buy a spraycan of black paint, but the harley dealer here doesn't have it and doesn't want to order it because the minimum order quantity is 4. (and the price would be 35euro's/45dollars a can!)

I googled the typenr 98606bf, but it seems that there are no online shops in Europe selling it (and able to ship to the Netherlands). I did find a shop in the US, but they charge at least 35dollars to ship to the Netherlands...

Anyone any suggestions where and how to buy it?

Thanks,

Mark

Glendale Harley in Los Angeles carries it. I buy it all the time.

Guest Jeff in Ohio

I would be careful spending the time and money to ship this stuff a long way. New cans of it are prone to not spray (defective). I have to take a couple back before I got one that sprayed properly. The dealer knew the problem before I mentioned it as I brought it out of the bag upon return. Must be very common... especially for the Wrinkle paint.

Yep, you are correct. The best way to spray this stuff is to warm the can. Usually soaking the can in hot water for sometime works well. Also, once you start spraying, don't stop. If you do, immediatly flip the can upside down and spray to clear the nozzle. I've sprayed a good deal of this stuff....