side stand

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

Has anyone incurred serious problems with the sidestand scraping and eventually pivoting the rear tire off the ground? It happened to me twice this weekend in a couple lefthand turns. I'm not exactly an aggressive rider. I've already ground down the rubber stopper promptly after the pucker factor.

Have you tried unscrewing the big loopy bit if wire on it? I an suprised it is strong enough and rearward enough the lift the rear tyre. Just watch your boot on the exhaust if you flick it down with your foot.

...or you could just take the whole sidestand off, and lean the bike against the nearest tree or fence-post like dirt-bikers do ;)

But seriously, I don't think that the "wire loopy" kickstand thing is the culprit, as it's too flimsy. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

It's more likely that you are hitting the rear edge of the "foot" of the stand, or something similarly stout.

Can you see the scrapes on the stand/mount to tell where you actually touched?

...and BTW, I am still amazed you guys get these bikes over far enough to drag the stand. I bow to your skilzzzzzzz :rasta:

:)

Ah well if its the side stand you could try winding up the rear preload a bit more to get some extra ground clearance. Every time I have dragged the sidestand on the sport it has simple ground not actually lifted the bike. However I have the carbed 1100 sport which has a 18 inch rear wheel and a tad more ground clearance than the 17 inch equiped machines.

My V11 Sport's sidestand scrapes every so often and at first I didn't mind it because it serves to tell me how far over I am. Yesterday I was riding some twisties with some friends and I leaned on the stand hard enough to reduce weight on the rear wheel and momentarily lose traction. I kept it up and all was fine, but it was very unnerving. The foot of my kickstand has about 1/4 to 3/8 inch grinded away already. I'm going to cut the rubber stopper down to see if that helps a bit. I've never touched down my pegs or stock pipes, so the sidestand is definitely in a bad spot. I have to admit I might miss that gnarly scraping sound through those left-handers, though!

Guest mcloutier

Same thing happened to me once. It popped the rear end right into the air. Major puckering going on. It was definitely the kickstand. I actually carved some asphalt out of the road. :bike:

Keep in mind that it better to grind the foot of the kickstand rather than the point where the kill switch is.

In addition to the rear being high enough, too much front sag will make the stand touch easily. Likewise too much rebound damping will keep the bike lower. More compression damping may help.

Guest callithrix

I"ll check the suspension settings it's distinctly possible they are less than ideal. It's definetly the foot of sidestand ; it's been squared off. I initially thought my technique was the culprit( I'm sure it's far from perfect) but my riding buddy was behind me when it happened and told me he saw trhe rear tire lift. :huh:

But I guess I'm just not going far enough :bike:

al

Al, Maybe you need to gain weight :P

I suspect it is a combination of things; suspension setup, how much the rider leans as opposed to the bike, and tire sizes.

The 160/60 on my bike should risk scraping more than the 180 on a LeMans.

I have not scraped in a long time, but my tire wear is nowhere near the edge...

When I did scrape, I still had 3/8inch left to the edge of the tire, and that was with the 170 tire. but the sag was very low at the rear.

Just to agree with a lot of the previous posts, you may get some relief by adding spring preload.

A better long term solution is (assuming you a red blooded American, i.e. you weigh more than 150 pounds. :) ) is stiffer springs front and rear. The stock Guzzi springs are pretty soft.

If you have stiffer springs and you are still dragging stuff you need a road-racing license or at least a track day. You are pushing things pretty hard on the street. (JMHO)

Cheers,

Lex

The rear of my 03 Rosso Corsa sits about one inch. higher than my 00 Sport. I used to grind my side stand all the time on the 00 Sport. Cutting down the rubber bumper and increasing rear spring preload took care of most of the grinding. When I went with a 5.5 inch. rear rim and a 180 tire, no more grind. I have not touched the side stand on the 03 Rosso and I have no stinking chicken strips! :lol:

Mike, on the way to New York! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

I broke the little knob on my kickstand switch :bbblll: i've read the posts on how to bypass this switch & thats fine...temporarily. I'm too scared to permanently ride without it though lol. Does anyone know if I can just get any other switch & splice it in or do I have to get the official :mg: oem kickstand switch? P.s. if your going to move your bike around while your working on it please put the kickstand up first :!: Trust me that little friggin knob is easy to bend, then it just breaks off

I broke the little knob on my kickstand switch :bbblll: i've read the posts on how to bypass this switch & thats fine...temporarily. I'm too scared to permanently ride without it though lol. Does anyone know if I can just get any other switch & splice it in or do I have to get the official  :mg: oem kickstand switch? P.s. if your going to move your bike around while your working on it please put the kickstand up first :!: Trust me that little friggin knob is easy to bend, then it just breaks off

48493[/snapback]

Richard,

I can't see how the plunger of the switch could bend. :huh2:

Anyway, I have two switches laying around taking up space in my tool box. The problem is the leads on each switch is a different length. Could you measure the wire lead on your switch to the conector end for a length?

PM me with your address and I will drop it into the mail.

To bypass the switch, simply cut the 2 wires going to the sidestand switch, remove the insulation and twist the wires together. You can crimp on a butt connector or solder in tape or just leave the wire twisted together and taped untill you get the other switch.

Mike