Forkin' around

Ouiji Veck

Guest ratchethack

Nuevototem,

You might try flipping your blue nuts over if you want them to screw further down the damper rods. I'm pretty sure that the blue nuts in my forks weren't threaded all the way through, they were counterbored on one end. I'm positive that the one in your picture is upside down from the way mine were oriented.

Good eye, Tom. I agree. I'd missed this in the photo. This may be the whole problem here! See my note on this in post #10 in this thread. :thumbsup:

NOTE: Since Weej was under the impression he had 43 mm forks, prior posts will seem slightly out o' whack. We later discovered he's got the 40's.

Ouiji,

Most of the suspension tuning stuff that I've read says to start with your compression damping all the way out, then add it as needed. I think these 'zokes seem to have a fair amount of comp damping even with the adjuster only 1 or 2 clicks in. I thought my forks were terrible when I first bought the bike, then I backed the comp adjuster out to about 5 clicks in from zero and they were much less wooden feeling.

Agreed in full here also. My Marz 040 USD forks have considerable comp damping even at the zero setting, and I often run them this way myself. :helmet:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Right on both counts..

The blue nuts are probably upside down...

The forks feel much better .....

If there's one thing that's worse than the heartbreak of psoriasis, it's gotta be upside down blue nuts. . . :o

Hi to all,

Thanks for your help boys! :grin:

Please any can share a photo with the blue nut in the right way?

I need confirmation that this is the problem. Anyone can confirm? :luigi:

Thanks in advance,

Guest ratchethack

Hi to all,

Thanks for your help boys! :grin:

Please any can share a photo with the blue nut in the right way?

I need confirmation that this is the problem. Anyone can confirm? :luigi:

Thanks in advance,

Nuevototem, you must be pretty frustrated by now. You have my sympathies, my friend.

I don't have my forks apart, but here's a shot lifted from wot The Weej attached in post #8 in this thread.

You'll see it clearly if you look close. This is correct. I'd be willing to wager that getting this right and with 22 mm threaded cartridge damper rod showing solves your damping adjustment problem. Again, see my comment on this back in post #10.

Please post back with results. :thumbsup:

post-1212-1175544532_thumb.jpg

If there's one thing that's worse than the heartbreak of psoriasis, it's gotta be upside down blue nuts. . . :o

:P:D:P No you di'nt... you di'nt go there... :D:P

Nuevo...

You should be able to tell. The nuts have a big counter bore on one side.

That side goes down, allowing the nut to spin on further ... I hope that does it for you.

But if this is the case it would explain why turning your adjusters had no effect.

Just went through my pics but don't have one that shows anything relative.

Guest ratchethack

Just went through my pics but don't have one that shows anything relative.

But au contraire, mon ami! ;):P

(see post #95)

Guest ratchethack

. . .So the question is .....IF Nuevos' are upside down..how'd they get that way?

Huevos azul invertido? :whistle:

Caramba! :o

If the imagination is allowed to stretch out in quite painful directions, the mind fairly reels. . . .

Let's put it this way -- There more'n likely ain't exactly a "natural" act at the bottom of it. . . . :whistle:

Just kiddin', Nuevo! ;)

I've been forking around with my 02 Lemans forks for a bit, installed some correct rate springs from Traxxion dyamics, muddled about with various fork oils and volumes and felt I had a well sorted front end. Then I picked up a Griso, had Todd Egan set the compression and rebound damping and I set the sag, the Lemans might as well have a springer front end, the Griso bits when set are the mutts nuts. The Lemans handles brilliantly, at the cost of some compliance, the Griso handles superbly and is plush as well.... If I could put the Griso forks on the Lemans, or the Lemans engine in the Griso, I would have the ultimate guzzi....

Hi to all,

Looks like the problem is the blue nuts are upside down. :homer:

I put it wrong one month ago when I change the oil. :glare:

I will change back and tell you guys the results. :luigi:

By the way my spacers are 121 mm 4,76 inches , and I never feel the forks reach the bottom.

Best regards, :mg:

.... If I could put the Griso forks on the Lemans, or the Lemans engine in the Griso, I would have the ultimate guzzi....

He writes as all the Ohlins equipt owners read, smiling silently (except me :P ) to themselves...

But seriously, I wonder what makes the Griso suspension work. Sitting on a Griso and sitting on a Breva, it is obvious that they got the spring rate right on the Griso for riders in the middle heavy weight range, while the Breva is better suited for measuring the superslab in a straight line. There is more travel in the rear on the Griso than on the V11 Spine, so I suspect that makes a difference, but still it seems from what you say that they got something else right, like maybe the high speed damping. :huh2:

I wonder how your front sag numbers match up?

Perhaps the sag could be a clue that Traxxion sent you the "wrong" weight springs, or maybe the fluid level is set wrong in the LeMans?????

Guest ratchethack

If there's anyone still following this who's interested, I just found an old post from a year ago, where I'd started a thread with a procedure. Outside of my own Service manual, there didn't seem to be any other write ups of any kind anywhere, and I'd decided I'd give it a shot myself. NOTE: I updated it today for added clarity on the directional requirement of the blue nuts!! :thumbsup:

Marz Fork oil change & setting AIR GAP!, They're overdue, AREN'T THEY?!?!

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=7960&st=0#

Now interestingly enough, following the procedure post, there was a small follow-on brouhaha on the "wisdom" (vs. lack thereof) of following the Guzzi recommended service schedule, which I STILL find more than interesting to this day, being the ardent and intrepid observer of human behavior that I am. . . ;):lol:

WARNING: Many will consider the procedure and ensuing discussion entirely TOO LENGTHY for their interests and/or attention spans! So by all means, let the reader be cautious with his precious investment of time! As always, the Hooters thread often seems to be a better choice for many here on the ol' Tech Forum! ;)

Guest ratchethack

You got it ratchet...

from Todd @ Guzzi Tech

"Put a wrench on the blue annodized pre-load

adjuster, and one on the outside/top of the cap. The

set screw does not need to be removed.

Be sure to measure the distance from the top of the

threaded rod (once the cap is removed) so that you can

reset the blue preloader to the existing position.

Make sense?"

Somebody needs to tell Todd that these forks don't have screw-adjustable preload after all, and that the factory setting to retain damping adjustability is 22 mm, since once the fork's been meddled with, there's no telling how a PO or dealer might've left it. . . . Or maybe he'll see this and no one actually needs to be the unwilling informant. . . :huh2:

We still love ya, and all that, Todd. ;):grin:

dlaing said: Perhaps the sag could be a clue that Traxxion sent you the "wrong" weight springs, or maybe the fluid level is set wrong in the LeMans?????

Actually, the Traxxion springs are dead on, and the fluid level and weight is fairly well optimized, my Lemans suspension is well sorted, and is killer. It's just the Griso suspension bits when properly set give the same good handling as well as the plushness that the Marz forks are simply not capable of delivering. I've ridden some well sorted Ohlins guzzi's and they are nice, but I dont have em on my Lemans.