Re-seal the 6 speed

FuelCooler

Guest ratchethack

Ratchethack, dlaing and others,

Do you want to start a new thread (I know this stuff has been covered before) or can you suggest an existing one to attach it to?

I would like to continue with the fork /shock topic but we will bog down this gearbox thread if we don't do something quick!

Steve, since y'er both the hijacker and the hijackee here, :) why don't you open a new topic and we'll see where it goes it from there.

I gotta admit I don't tend to help nip hijackings in the bud much. I'm more likely to respond directly to a post whether in context of a thread or not, which probably doesn't help things. . . . :blush: The alternative is to open a new thread to respond to a post on a separate topic in an existing thread, which sounds even more ridiculous. :huh2:

Such is the nature of the public Forum, and wattyagonnado? :huh2:

We've already got so many fork and shock threads, IMHO might as well start a new one as tack on to an old one. :huh2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good day in the garage........ :luigi:

Clutch is reassembled and mounted.

Transmission is reassembled with new sealant and mounted........ that went WAY to easily,,,,, something's wrong in there!

Maybe I should drop it out just for gigles! ..................and see that I put the cltuch plates in properly! :homer:

A good day in the garage........ :luigi:

Clutch is reassembled and mounted.

Transmission is reassembled with new sealant and mounted........ that went WAY to easily,,,,, something's wrong in there!

:bier::bier:

Excellent BrianG!

I should have my tools on Friday (Atlanta to Seatle to NJ) and am hoping for an easy time as well.

It is Redline Shock Proof Heavy I am supposed to be using in the trans, right?

• 2 weeks later...

The trans is back in place! :)

Well, as BrianG said, "that was too easy".

I dissassembed, cleaned, resealed and reassembled the trans in 4.5 hrs last Saturday, and put it back in the bike Sunday. It would have taken less time but my neighbors came by to BS with me and ask questions. Included in that time was about an hour of translating the Italian service manual to get the torque figures. I wasn't in a hurry so I didn't mind.

The tools I got from Moto International were Moto Guzzi P/N tools and they worked fine. PM me if you need to borrow them.

Thanks for your help everyone. :bier:

Steve

The trans is back in place! :)

Well, as BrianG said, "that was too easy".

I dissassembed, cleaned, resealed and reassembled the trans in 4.5 hrs last Saturday, and put it back in the bike Sunday. It would have taken less time but my neighbors came by to BS with me and ask questions. Included in that time was about an hour of translating the Italian service manual to get the torque figures. I wasn't in a hurry so I didn't mind.

The tools I got from Moto International were Moto Guzzi P/N tools and they worked fine. PM me if you need to borrow them.

Thanks for your help everyone. :bier:

Steve

What did you end up using for sealant between the cases??

Let us know how it works out for leaks.

What did you end up using for sealant between the cases??

Let us know how it works out for leaks.

I used Yamabond 4. I hasn't leaked but I haven't even started it yet! I will keep you posted.

What did you use? I was tempted to use Yamabond 5.

I ended up using a Permatex product called Anerobic Flange Sealant. I have filled the gear box with the magical Redline Shockproof Heavy product and it has been sitting for a week so far with no evidence of seepage.

We shall see.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up using a Permatex product called Anerobic Flange Sealant. I have filled the gear box with the magical Redline Shockproof Heavy product and it has been sitting for a week so far with no evidence of seepage.

We shall see.

I hope it is going as well for you as it is for me.

300+ miles and not a drop leaked of any kind :bike: . I will be doing a 3000 mile trip around Memorial Day, to the Ozarks. That will be the real test.

Cheers,

Steve

We shall see.

I used the same stuff to seal the cases on my '70 Triumph. 12 yrs later and still no leaks. Possibly a record for an old Triumph! :grin:

cheers,

Rj

PS - we've got a place out here called Pacific Fasteners - has all metric bolts you could ever want (SS). Just bring in my pick list and I've got exactly what I want. I can't imagine you don't have something similar in Edmonton... We are a "metric" country after all...

I hope it is going as well for you as it is for me.

300+ miles and not a drop leaked of any kind :bike: . I will be doing a 3000 mile trip around Memorial Day, to the Ozarks. That will be the real test.

Cheers,

Steve

I have done alot of riding in the Ozarks (Arkansas). If you need some road advise let me know.

I used the same stuff to seal the cases on my '70 Triumph. 12 yrs later and still no leaks. Possibly a record for an old Triumph! :grin:

cheers,

Rj

PS - we've got a place out here called Pacific Fasteners - has all metric bolts you could ever want (SS). Just bring in my pick list and I've got exactly what I want. I can't imagine you don't have something similar in Edmonton... We are a "metric" country after all...

Ya.... no.... the two big fastenet places here have a limityed amount of "metric" fasteners, and nothing in stainless....... never mind all the head variations I need for the V-11

Does Pacifi Fasteners pick and ship?