Baja visited

Steve G.

OK, now that I know how to do this, a bit of commentary.

We loaded up all 6 bikes into the trailer one Friday morning @ 6:30am, 28deg F, luckily only 10 miles to Jim's place. IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

The pictures here show our first afternoon heading into Mike's Sky Rancho. Unfortunately, 3 of the six bikes would lose paint on this 28 mile run up into the Sierra de San Pedro National Park. The sand on the gravel roads, in fact all the gravels roads, are simply brutal. Alot of the gravel roads we took had been this years route for the Baja 1000, and those high powered machines just tore it up. Alot of work riding bikes with just basic intentions to offroad capability.IMG_0211.jpg

Basic repairs at Mike's that night.

Ciao, Steve

IMG_0216.jpg

Taking a break 1/2 way out of Mike's.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

The famous Coco of Coco's corner, a bit of a Baja legend. Apparently this year with the Baja 1000 running right by his place, Robby Gordon stopped during the race to get one of Coco's Burritos.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0229.jpgIMG_0236.jpgIMG_0235.jpg

Baja touring, back road style.

IMG_0232.jpg

Land of the 10 minutes tire repair. Man those mini compressors are business!

Ciao, Steve

IMG_0228.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0245.jpg

The street carnage is alarming in Baja. Cows, horses, burros, and in the villages, dogs by the dozen. Maybe there's no one to clean the things up. Turkey vultures do the big clean up. Here, this massive raven was guarding this find, he wouldn't move for me at all. Some animals stay out there for months, like hard cardboard, there's no humidity or moisture, they turn to hard cardboard. IMG_0253.jpg

The classic roadside eatery. The food was always very good, and fresh. This little place in Bahia de Los Angeles, the breakfast was incredible!

IMG_0219.jpg

Beautiful white sand beach at San Felipe.

Ciao, Steve

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0236.jpgIMG_0249.jpg

Walking the beach at Bahia de Los Angeles. We have roses & thinks in our back yard, in Baja, whale skeletons!!

IMG_0227.jpg

The mighty sentinal of the desert. No not Jim, or the GSA!

IMG_0225.jpg

The Malecon [waterfront] at San Felipe.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Camping on the beach!

Ciao, Steve

IMG_0282.jpg

The lovely old Frances Hotel, built by the French, in Santa Rosalia. This great old town with French mining heritage, copper mine up in the hills.

IMG_0285.jpg

The Mission de Santa Rosalia. This church built and designed by Mr. Eiffel of same name tower in Paris.

IMG_0284.jpg

Ciao, Steve

IMG_0302.jpg

Another classic old Mission at Mulege.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

The food during the trip, simply outstanding, and outstandingly simple. Here at the roundabout entrance to Mulege, like most other places like this, when you ask for fresh squeezed orange juice, you get it fresh!

IMG_0292.jpg

A front shot of the mission at Mulege.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Loreto old downtown, and of course of high importance in Mexico, the Catholic Missions at the heart of any town.

Ciao, Steve

IMG_0317.jpg

these two kids were enthralled by our camping and riding stuff. We motioned for them to get on the bikes. Jim gave them pictures of downtown Vancouver and Canadian flags. I showed them on the map where we came from, they were amazed. Then I let them start my bike and move the throttle. We clearly have manufactured two future motorcyclists in Loreto. When we pulled out, they ran after us waving until we couldn't see them anymore.

IMG_0318.jpg

Hotel Alcatraz in San Carlos, on the Pacific [west] side of the Baja. This is where we saw our first clouds in a week.

IMG_0326.jpg

Downtown strip of San Carlos.

Ciao, Steve

IMG_0341.jpg

We saw a bunch of people gathering around an old rec-centre. Dave & I went tro check it out.

Regional Sunday afternoon cock fighting.

IMG_0323.jpg

I understand this kind of fighting is illegal. As it was across the street from the police headquarters, I guess it's not a high priority!

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

Ciao, Steve