Le Mans Fairing Removal

Guest h8chains

Guest h8chains

I will go to a track day this coming Monday (Mar 5th) and would like to remove the plastic pieces and signal lights.

I can do the tail end easy, but need help for the front end.

How easy to remove the front fairing and headlights? Can someone provide the steps?

Appreciate your quick reply.

Joel

Going from my not always reliable memory, I removed my fairing by pulling the bolts that attach it to the brackets above the rocker covers, the turn sigal bolts, the front air scoop bolts, and the rear view mirror mounting studs. See the illustration on page E7 in the parts manual for clarification.

I didn't remove the fairing mounting bracket or headlight so i don't know exactly what's involved there. Looking at page H3 I'd guess that you only need to remove a couple more screws to get the whole bracket/headlight assembly off?

Parts manual is available HERE. Even though it says it's for the 02 Le Mans it's really for 03/04. AFAIK the fairing stuff is the same for all the LMs.

Guest h8chains

Going from my not always reliable memory, I removed my fairing by pulling the bolts that attach it to the brackets above the rocker covers, the turn sigal bolts, the front air scoop bolts, and the rear view mirror mounting studs. See the illustration on page E7 in the parts manual for clarification.

I didn't remove the fairing mounting bracket or headlight so i don't know exactly what's involved there. Looking at page H3 I'd guess that you only need to remove a couple more screws to get the whole bracket/headlight assembly off?

Parts manual is available HERE. Even though it says it's for the 02 Le Mans it's really for 03/04. AFAIK the fairing stuff is the same for all the LMs.

Thank you very much Tom. You don't let grass grow under your feet huh! :drink:

The link you provided made it easy for me to understand.

Cheers!

May sound a bit weird but whenver I have done a track day I have kept the fairing on- a good incentive to ride carefully and finish the day in one piece.

Not weird at all.

That's exactly why I have ridden my bike to lots of trackdays.

Not wanting to throw your ride home down the track is a huge incentive towards caution above all else..

At least on me.

-Jack

• 2 weeks later...
Guest h8chains

I should have left it alone. Not only it took me hours and hours to take them off and putting it back, now the whole front fairing squeeks! I'll figure it out this weekend and report on the matter.

Guest h8chains

Squeek is gone. There was no bird nesting inside the fairing. All it is, there were 2 bolts going through a bracket next to the steering collumn that I failed to tightened.

Rode it today 120 miles (75 miles of twisting mountain roads), just love the torque and handling. Also got a few complements from other bike owners. It's funny, when they see the parked LM, they walk around, look, and ask a lot of questions.

Yep, just remove the bolts holding the fairing to the subframe, which includes the front turn indicator mounts, heads, and mirrors.... then with just a little careful bending, it will lift right off. There is no need to loosen any of the "riveted" bolts that hold the fairing sections together.

The headlight is mounted within the fairing subframe and can be removed after the fairing is off, or just left on.

After once thinking I had to remove every little bolt to get the fairing off, we all soon learned it is much easier to lift it off in one piece :grin:

Al