Shaft drive bicycle

orangeokie

Guest Nogbad

That cannot possibly be as efficient as a chain, and with a human powered bike efficiency is everything. Does your wife need to lose weight?

That cannot possibly be as efficient as a chain, and with a human powered bike efficiency is everything. Does your wife need to lose weight?

Okie, I wouldn't answer that if I were you. Putting such information in writing is asking for trouble. :grin:

Naw, my wife doesn't need to lose weight. She fits nicely into her pink bikini. :bier: Just looking for something we can both do together . . . besides the usual husband and wife stuff! :grin:

image.jpg

The 2 shaft drives bikes I've ridden (including one well run in) were pretty dire, like riding through treacle. The more effort you put in the more the gears gobble up. If you want clean with little maintenance a hub gear with a chaincase is the way to go. You will still loose efficiency over a derailier but nowhere near that from a shaft.

Every watt of power from your legs is hard won so bicycles have evolved like nothing else towards efficiency, go for quality if you can, after all it is for a very important person :rolleyes:

Guest CafeMoto

Naw, my wife doesn't need to lose weight. She fits nicely into her pink bikini. :bier: Just looking for something we can both do together . . . besides the usual husband and wife stuff! :grin:

image.jpg

Yeah, she's hot. Where's that mud hole yer swimmin in?

:(

Actually, those are pretty cool. Shaft drive bikes have been around for 100 years, but never caught on.

The issue was not so much efficiency as weight. Gears and chains are similarly efficient initially, with chains slightly out front until they wear (quickly), and gears out front after the chains wear a lot.

Modern shelf parts (internally geared many speed hubs) might make this a neat machine to own.

With the HP produced from a human, the gear drive would not wear out in a lifetime of regular use.

Unless of course Guzzi make the shaft drive!!!! :(

Red River! Heard of it?

what the hell were you doing in that crap hole? one of two rivers that flow north and floods the whole freakin valley every year or so, anything else, I can't remember. Thats my neck o the woods