My Guzzi had a bad Day.......

Richard Z

It started out great. Nice weather, put some miles on. I was thinking how good the gas mileage was, then it happened. It quit, out of gas. The Low Fuel Light never flickered, so I wasn't too worried, but had a feeling when I hit 165 miles on the trip meter, that it should be low and the next gas stop was 10 miles. It made it to 170 and died on the side of the road. Not a huge problem, I was riding with a group and they went and got me fixed up. However while the bike was setting on the stand in the soft shoulder. You guessed it. It fell over. I was about 10 feet away and just missed catching it. Not much done to it. Scuffed the head guard and the lever. Just frustrating..... It gave me a reason to install the new anodized head guards I bought two months ago. cleaned up the lever and did a little touch up with paint. You'd never know it happened. I hope better days are ahead.

So what are the chance a new bike has a bad bulb or could it be the sending unit? I really don't want to take it in for warranty for such a small issue....... maybe when it goes in for its 1000 mile service.

just thought I would share...

Richard Z.

aka vesparider

It's just a shame that Guzzi did not wire up the low-fuel light so that is is on when the key is turned on but the engine is not running, so you could be sure the sender and light were actually working. If it is not working, you'll never know until you run out of fuel.

No offense, but I'd say that 165 is stretching it... unless you've made some mods to your bike that are giving you mpg beyond what the rest of us are getting.

My idiot light generally comes on around 100-110 miles per tank, regardless of the way I've been riding.

Just figure on low 30s for mpg. So if you hit 150 - definitely time to fill up... Not very convenient when you are in the middle of a ride with guys who can get 200 on their tanks, but they just need to "get it" and understand.

Sorry it fell over too -- that is just insult to injury!

No offense, but I'd say that 165 is stretching it... unless you've made some mods to your bike that are giving you mpg beyond what the rest of us are getting.

My idiot light generally comes on around 100-110 miles per tank, regardless of the way I've been riding.

Just figure on low 30s for mpg. So if you hit 150 - definitely time to fill up... Not very convenient when you are in the middle of a ride with guys who can get 200 on their tanks, but they just need to "get it" and understand.

The Sport only has about 420 miles on it. Up until the weekend I kept it topped off just in case I got a chance to go out on a ride to stretch its legs. I've been riding the Triumph for awhile and I get 220 miles per tank. Just never knew where the Sport would run low.... Now I know.....

Richard Z

Yep! I also ran out of fuel and no warning light. Found out that the sender is attached to the fuel pump with a little piece of metal that broke off. Was replaced under warranty. New fuel Pump with sender. :luigi:

2004 Moto Guzzi Ballabio

Sam

moto_guzzi_ballabio.jpg

I get a pretty solid 160 mi. on my 02 LeMans before the light comes on. (I've seen170)

I have gotten 183 mi without running out of fuel. PC III, Stucci and Mistrals.

YMMV or YM does V

I've got 28000 mi and set the valves "floppy"

Your milage should improve as it breaks in...up to 20000 mi.

I would think the pipes and PC should eat more gas.

Of course the final call on mileage is how far your wrist turns. The mileage will definitely get better once the mileage gets up.

I've got another bike that has a non operating fuel warning light, since new! I've had my bike on fumes out in the middle of nowhere-land Oregon, and had the trip meter at 297 kms, thats about 200 miles! And, I do not have that trick little fuel hose thing to get that last remaining fuel on the right side of the tank. Also, I have the '01 tank, with the pad, reducing the fuel capacity a bit more. And, anyone who knows me knows I don't have a lite hand on the throttle.

Come to think of it, it's pretty surprising I got that mileage. One thing that could have helped is that I've installed a 160/60 rear tire, which has made the whole rear tire taller, which means slightly taller gearing.

Ciao, Steve

Like he said :stupid:

Yeah, l get about 120 miles (my :sun: Tenni :wub: has a miles speedo, not km's) before l have to get really nervous, got quite a bit more riding with a new rider for awhile, we never exceeded the speed limit for what felt like ever, and l got about 160 miles

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Guest Mattress

2004 cafe sport. 3500 miles.

I'm closer to the 160 mile number before I see the light, and then from memory about 3 or 3.5 gallons filler up. My skill level means not a whole lot of high speed stuff though.

What about carrying a couple quarts of gas in a camel pack for just in case? Makes starting campfires easier too.

:vomit:

Like he said :stupid:

Yeah, l get about 120 miles (my :sun: Tenni :wub: has a miles speedo, not km's) before l have to get really nervous, got quite a bit more riding with a new rider for awhile, we never exceeded the speed limit for what felt like ever, and l got about 160 miles

:bier:

Cheers

Van

:homer:

never exceeded the speed limit for 160 miles?

:vomit:

Is that even possible? :huh2:

you are a better man than I :notworthy:

Not bad- I got 142 miles before my then new '03 LeMans ran out of gas and left me standing roadside admiring the starkly desolate (and unfortunately very unpopulated) high desert scenery which is my stomping grounds. No cell phone service... Fortunately a good samaritan rancher came along in his ranch truck an hour or so later and "donates" a gallon of gas to me. Saved me a good 4 hours of pushing said ride home! Besides I was able to answer his "Say, who makes Moto Guzzi?" question when he noticed this label on my bike. :D

Turns out the wiring to my low fuel light was never connected at the factory. :huh2:

Anyway, the good news is I now know exactly how far my bike will go on a tank of gasoline! :drink:

I get the low fuel lamp at 110 miles. I use a PC-III

As many here know, there is still quite a bit of fuel in the lower part of the right hand side of the tank even when you "run out" of gas. In a pinch you can get enough over into the left hand side with some creative shaking/sloshing.

I get the low fuel lamp at 110 miles. I use a PC-III

As many here know, there is still quite a bit of fuel in the lower part of the right hand side of the tank even when you "run out" of gas. In a pinch you can get enough over into the left hand side with some creative shaking/sloshing.

Great tip...... I wonder if the bike falling on its left side would have moved enuff fuel to the left side to get it running.... Maybe the bike was telling me something when it flop over... LOL

Richard Z.

aka vesparider