When does the buzz stop

ALdad

My 2000 sport has 4500mi. and the vibration seems to be getting worse. The tranni recall and a tuneup was done at 2400mi when I bought it. Since then I have drilled the top yoke and put some oberon risers, Flanders crome bars and Salamander heavy crome bar ends, looks bitchen! I thought the tall bars would have helped the vibe, but, no I really did'nt notice much change. I do like the tall set up ,very comfy. This past weekend I added a rubber barsnake. This helped on my 800 monster but did'nt do much for the goose. I think the bar snakes may be more effective at the higher frequency of smaller displacement engines? OK here is where my aging brain cell depleted mind is messing with me and I will show my lack of knowlege. The valves also seem to be getting noisier I will attempt my first valve lash adjustment next weekend. I did look at my plugs they were black, dry no residue or deposits. The gap was quite abit larger than the service manual recomended .7mm so I changed them. rode today and it just seems buzzy, even my feet seem to buzz more. Could the the valve lash be out enough in 2000mi to make any difference with vibration .What does the spark plug gap do? May be I am just thinking about it too much. Does the vibration on these bikes get better with miles? Could I be possible for it to get worse before getting better, or am I expecting too much? Any thoughts on this subject. Cheer!! Alan

In my experience with Guzzi's, they dont start smoothing out until 10 - 15K miles on them. For vibration, check the throttle bodies balance. I've also had loose and tight steering head bearings contribute to vibration.

The vibes do quiet a bit as the break in develops. 4500 isn't many miles.

That said , the state of tune is a huge contributor to smoothness. Certainly letting the valve lash out to world specs is helpful. As is a caring and meticulous approach to synchronizing the intake tracts. I believe the typical spec is to have them within 5 mm Hg, but it's easy to et them closer to 1 and makes a lot of difference.

Jeff in Ohio gives us this procedure for a reliable tune-up.

Mine is developing amore buzz with increasing mileage.

Now has over 20000k's , & it feels good when I stop & get off & feel a calmness come over me.

I haven't looked at valve clearance but have meticulously checked throttle balance.

I can feel another visit to Bungendore coming on.

Cheers

Miles

Critically setting the valve clearances is fundamental to the balance. It is Step One in the procedure. And although the maintenance interval is 6000 miles, I can feel a difference doing the Sport in 4000.

Plus, I just like doing it. :luigi:

Huh......

I've never got the buzzy hands...like an old Triumph would give you.

I wonder what the concensus is. Maybe a poll?

I wonder if it's just a matter of breaking in..the bike and yourself.

Are you keeping the RPMs up...above 3500 (at least)?

I put on 5 and 600 mile days without my hands bothering me..but I'm

made out of mostly shark cartilage.

I also have my bars filled with lead shot but your bar weights should

do the same thing...then again...maybe thats the ticket.

my 2001/-02 greenie vibrated like a steam hammer when I got it. especially round 2800-3000 rpms.

when I got the Titanium pipes and ECU 80% of all vibes disappeared as by magic.

its now run 11000 kms and is getting smoother by each ride. I guess its wise to get a full synch and tuneup after the initial miles.

I still can get buzzy hands when riding when I forget myself and fall back to the "deathgrip".

The goose will NEVER be japanese-smooth (god forbid), so a good tip is to hold on to the bars a bit lighter - with your fingers - and not lean on to them with the palm. Many hold on to the bars real hard like they would do with a hammer (example) and that will stop the blood circ and increase the feeling of vibration. Better with a lighter touch and instead use the legs to the side of the tank and the back muscles to keep upright. This will also give a better balance on the bike and a more active riding position.