New Model Guzzi Oil Requirements

I was visiting Valley Moto Guzzi in Chilliwack this afternoon and I was shown a service bulletin from Guzzi stating that all the new Guzzi's (except the ones with hydraulic lifters) require 10W60 100% synthetic oil. It was also indicated that all the new Aprilias require it as well.

I couldn't believe the price of the oil in the catalogue. Over 20 dollars Canadian (18 USD or 14 EURO) per litre.

I am considering the synthetic for my MGS because it does run very hot. I don't know if I'll use it on my other bikes but if global warming is for real we'll need some oils that are capable of handling the high heat.

Valley Moto Guzzi did buy 2 barrels of AGIP 100% Synthetic 4T Racing Oil so their price for oil is 16.95 CDN (about 14.60 USD or 11.00 EURO). I may just convert my fleet at that price.

I was visiting Valley Moto Guzzi in Chilliwack this afternoon and I was shown a service bulletin from Guzzi stating that all the new Guzzi's (except the ones with hydraulic lifters) require 10W60 100% synthetic oil. It was also indicated that all the new Aprilias require it as well.

I couldn't believe the price of the oil in the catalogue. Over 20 dollars Canadian (18 USD or 14 EURO) per litre.

I am considering the synthetic for my MGS because it does run very hot. I don't know if I'll use it on my other bikes but if global warming is for real we'll need some oils that are capable of handling the high heat.

Valley Moto Guzzi did buy 2 barrels of AGIP 100% Synthetic 4T Racing Oil so their price for oil is 16.95 CDN (about 14.60 USD or 11.00 EURO). I may just convert my fleet at that price.

Another 10W60 Agip Thread

@

MG-Norge/Sport/Stelvio 1200 - Chat 24/7

MG-Norge/Sport/Stelvio 1200 - Technical Data

MG-Griso/Breva - Chat 24/7

MG-Griso/Breva - Technical Data

MG-Griso.com Modern Guzzi Worldwide Registry

Jim, I am too lazy to go digging into the forum “technical” but you also know how much topics have been post about oil.

The best oil for the V11 is the synthetic one 10W50 or 10W60.

I have got the Mobil 1 100% full synthetic 10W50.

On the www.guzzisti.it forum and from me tested oil is only positive feedback given.

About the type oil to be used for the newest Guzzi, I think there are not that many km’s ridden to give some opinion or suggestion about the right oil.

Mobil1 is only on eBay for sale for a friendly price.

In a store the price will be higher than the price you just named.

The latest series B11/G11/Norge engines have been re-worked to make use of the oiling system as more of an active part of the engine's cooling system. These changes, as extrapolated from parts availble to me and cryptic communications from Guzzi, include larger and moved oil passages, oil spray directly onto the valve-guide area of each head (with vlave-guide seals to control the oil), and a gerotor-style pump. These appear to be an attempt at making a "teste-oilio" engine, in the style of the BMW oilheads. If I had one of these, or a Breva or Nevada 750, I'd stick with the 10-60.

You probably do not need 10-60 on a V11. Mine keeps fine oil pressure with even 5w-40 oil, even at 110 C oil temps. I'm going to try the 10-60, just to see how it does. I also work in a motorcycle shop, so I get discounts. ANd the sad news is, the 10-60 appears to be in short supply. Every time I need to order more for the shop, it's on backorder, and the price has risen. Last week, for example, the wholesale price went up $1.50 US per quart.

Guest ratchethack

. . .with vlave-guide seals to control the oil. . .

Well, spank me naked! Would this be an all-time Guzzi FIRST??

Or did they have guide seals back in the '30's with the 4-valve head motors?? :huh2:

Enquiring minds (well, you know) :whistle:

I use Castrol RS 10W60 for many years in all Guzzis going through my hands except my V7Sport which has no oil filter element. This oil is a car oil as there is no need for a motorcycle oil in a Guzzi engine where no gerbox and clutch is running in the engine oil.

My experence is very positive and I can get it from a local dealer at a reasonable price (12€). After 9000 km in my V11 the oil is still in good condition visually.

Not backdating. Actually maybe you should do backdating on your own. The manual for the '03 and later V11s calls for 5-40 oil. I think that's a misprint. I think they meant to stay with the 20-50 recommended for previous V11s. That's just an opinion, however.

Not backdating. Actually maybe you should do backdating on your own. The manual for the '03 and later V11s calls for 5-40 oil. I think that's a misprint. I think they meant to stay with the 20-50 recommended for previous V11s. That's just an opinion, however.

In 2003 they introduced a jet to spray oil on the pistons.

Perhaps they determined the oil had to be thinner for that to work. :huh2:

For my 2000 Guzzi, I like 5W-50, but often use 20W-50 in Summer. :2c: But then again, I burn oil and probably need a new top end, so whatever I am doing may be wrong....but it could have just been the slow break-in :homer: