Alternative to Oil Filter Hose Clamp

twhitaker

OK.....I THOUGHT this thread was about oil filters loosening up? Let's all just bash each other privately. That would work wouldn't it?

Anyway.....if you all read that "failure to lubricate" thread that I've posted, you'll notice that I just posted the news that my oil filter DID in fact loosen up on its own and the previous owner is to blame. (and me of course for not double-checking his work).

Regardless, I would like some solid advice for how to prevent this issue again. I will, of course, tighten the filter up as tightly as I can, but I want a cheap insurance policy to keep my piece of mind about it. Anyone care to sound off on what I should do???

The peaceful and non-confrontational,

Alan

Thanks for helping to bring this thread back on track.

dlaing's post #44 just now is, in my opinion, a good and accurate summary of all that's transpired on this issue in the past several months. The Purolator cross is their L10241. There may be others as good, but I analyzed only the UFI, SuperTech and Purolator.

The technical data behind my research and tightening suggestions may be found in the FAQ section.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nigelstephens

I have not been following this thead except in that I have seen it grow and grow. Just taken a look and I'm glad I haven't.

Loosening oil filters have never bothered me. I may be wrong but does this apply to Sport I too?

I would guess so as the filter arrangement appears the same.

:2c:

I have always tightened my filters more than recommended on bikes and cars over 30 years. Sure they can be a little difficult to get off on cars. The can almost calapses before the chain wrench turns them. The wide cord type wrenches are better. On the Guzzi the cap that goes over the end with a 1/2 drive is no problem at all.

What my conclusion is.. just tighten a little more. Always done mine by feel, heavy feel and no problems from over compressed seals or coming loose. It's obvious isn't it?:oldgit: No I'm not that old really.

I have not been following this thead except in that I have seen it grow and grow. Just taken a look and I'm glad I haven't.

Loosening oil filters have never bothered me. I may be wrong but does this apply to Sport I too?

I have always tightened my filters more than recommended on bikes and cars over 30 years. Sure they can be a little difficult to get off on cars. The can almost calpses before the chain wrench turns them. The wide cord type wrenches are better. On the Guzzi the cap that goes over the end with a 1/2 drive is no problem at all.

What my conclusion is.. just tighten a little more. Always done mine by feel, heavy feel and no problems from over compressed seals or coming loose. It's obvious isn't it?:oldgit: No I'm not that old really.

There you go, the easy route.

I just did quite a bit of work to my LeMans getting ready for the season. Tha last thing to do was drop the pan, clean the screen & change oil & filter. Much to my dismay after all of these posts, the UFI filter I installed last year was still tight. I dropped to my knees and said a prayer of thanks as I had not added a clamp of any kind and all that was under it was oil.

Whew, dodged a bullet.

Hell, now I'm afraid to change my filter at all. :bbblll:

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4-4

Here is some more scary shit:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

The PureOnes seem to be favored, but I would be AFRAID of PTFE and silicone gaskets increasing the risk of loosening.

Guest ratchethack

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4-4

Here is some more scary shit:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

The PureOnes seem to be favored, but I would be AFRAID of PTFE and silicone gaskets increasing the risk of loosening.

I just took a run thru the links above. These have all been around awhile, but good for review. The more you look into it, the scarier it gets, alright. Some might reason that the solution is not to look into it at all?! :grin:

Others might look into it with the idea that they'll only consider filters that score at the top of every category measured (good luck -- there aren't any in this category that fit the Guzzi to my knowledge that don't also have SOME other potentially significant drawbacks) -- regardless of whether or not the category being measured has any real-world relevance to providing engine protection, i.e., larger filter media area than any 2 cylinder ~liter motor could possibly derive any benefit from, particle size trapping capability, capacity, etc. that may be completely irrelevant to the proper care & feeding of the V11 motor.

I figure if there aren't any glaring shortcomings in any of the tested criteria that would seem to be dangerous, and if a properly tested filter doesn't actually fail under extended testing by many kinds of tests and testing parameters by different people who seem to be qualified for wot they're doing (many filters do fail in testing!) , and provided a filter doesn't have a credibly demonstrable (or at least questionable) track record of backing off after being properly tightented in the Guzzi sump :o , one's about as good as the next. Do you want to pay ten times as much (or more) for one as the next? :huh2: Many will do this for an unqualifiable "comfort" level. To each his own. :huh2:

I reckon if you pick an oil filter by the "lowest known risk of damage" objective, tighten it properly and change y'er oil on schedule, it can be forgotten about -- hopefully there are lots more important things to think about!

I'm with Nige:

Much M is more'n likely gonna continue to V. :huh2:

I have always tightened my filters more than recommended on bikes and cars over 30 years. Sure they can be a little difficult to get off on cars. The can almost calapses before the chain wrench turns them. The wide cord type wrenches are better. On the Guzzi the cap that goes over the end with a 1/2 drive is no problem at all.

Me too on the tightening. So you have an idea what all the fuss is about, the background is, in summary:

1. Some filters have loosened, causing engine damage.

2. As a new Guzzi owner, I wanted to find out why, so I used my background in hydraulic system and seal design to analyze the UFI and other designs to try to find the cause.

3. It caught me attention that the UFI filter was the only filter of this type I had ever seen with a torque spec on tightening rather than the usual 3/4 to 1 turn spec. When I removed mine, I found it came off much too easily for my taste.

4. The UFI and Purolator designs were compared. (I have no financial interest in Purolator, it's just what I have been using).

5. The UFI design was found to deviate from standard industry seal design practice and my practical experience, whereas the Purolator was within SIP.

My conclusion was that tightening the UFI as specified was less reliable than by the turns method, and that it would not be possible to tighten it using the turns method to achieve optimum seal reliability. That does not mean that it cannot be tightened to prevent loosening, but it is more difficult and there is some risk. In comparison, the Purolator design makes it straightforward to use the turns method, and in my opinion, more reliable.

Finally, there may well be other filters that have designs as good or better than the Purolator. I only compared the old and new versions of UFI, Purolator, and SuperTechs. The SuperTech design was similar to the UFI.

Some of the hard data can be found in the FAQ section.

If you're interested, the Purolator L10241 is listed as a cross to the UFI. They also offer a motorcycle cross to the UFI, which appears to have the same specifications as the L10241, but with a higher price.

Bottom line for me for my next filter change is the L10241 tightened to 1-1/8 turns, or more if it feels like it will take it.