Alternative to Oil Filter Hose Clamp

twhitaker

Guest ratchethack

I took the liberty to post your message as I wanted to make my offer public to all. No I haven't heard of a cover coming loose but as an aircraft mechanic I safety everything even electrical fittings :D

Yaledriver, that PM you posted was not from me. :huh2:

Unless there's compelling evidence of some deficiency or problem from myself or others, generally speaking I avoid fixing wot ain't broke, but that's just me -- and I've never owned or wrenched on a plane. But yep, once you part company with terra firma, I can understand the general motivation to want to safety wire everything that can be safety wired, whether it's had a history of seeking independence from the rest o' the plane or not. :o:luigi:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

So far the Purolator's design is the best in it's resistance to loosening as proven (??) "(Another laing-leap?)" from our anal-ysis." It is theorized to be less prone based only on conjecture. Until you PROVE the cause you haven't PROVEN the cure.

Gary, I believe I've quoted you accurately in red above from Dave's post?

May I offer an explanation for wot you've referred to above as "another Laing-leap" (see below).

Yes, I think it is an adequate proof. I have no doubt based on the technical research...

I figured the comments were in regard to the Laing post. Yes the conclusions are plausible and the numbers are real ..

No problem at all. Clarity counts The words are very important. Words like "proven"! .

DANGER! Words like "real", "conclusions", and "proven" are indeed very important -- on THIS planet.

They can also mean BIG TROUBLE AHEAD! :unsure:

Gary, I've seen this movie before. Trust me, you don't want to sit through the whole thing. It took a year of the most convoluted and repetitive dialog I've ever been a part of, on an infamous thread mercifully yanked by our Moderator, before I'd "learned my lesson". :whistle:

Just trying to help. Coupla things I learned:

Words like "proof", "evidence", "knowledge", and yes, even "truth", each one considered a cornerstone of intellectual development and anchor of Western thought here on the Blue Planet since the time of the ancient Greeks, are rendered as flaccid and useless as week-old tapioca when perceived through and wielded from alternate dimensions of time and space. :o

In other words, when you're playing with someone who plays by extra-terrestrial rules, it ain't a level playing field, my friend. Not only is the deck stacked against you as an Earthling, but the cards are no longer flat, may be of any size or color, and the markings on them are incomprehensible to the Earthling mind. You've already been exposed to a rotating green dodecahedron.

Dodecahedron.gif

Now this may have seemed completely incomprehensible and even bewildering to you in the context of this discussion. Ah! But not to me! You see, even though the next one played may bear no resemblance to this one wotsoever, I've learned by hard experience to recognize this as a Remulacian playing card! ;) It won't be long before you find yourself facing wot Dave considers a trump hand, when to your perception, it may appear to be nothing but a garbage hand, or anything at all -- a doorknob, or a goldfish in a bowl, f'er that matter! :doh: Hundreds of pages of baseless theory and wildly speculative, empty conjecture eagerly swallowed as PROOF were the kinda things that eventually became routine in the aforementioned, now gratefully long dead thread. :wacko:

Alternate realities, my friend. Best be forewarned. :whistle:

What I'm trying to tell you, Gary, is that this is how it was possible, after a year's worth of discussion and painfully slow and repetitive, excruciatingly deliberate review of the definitions of the very building blocks of Earth science -- evidence, proof, knowledge, truth, logic, reason, and the Scientific Method -- for Dave to wind up with a firm conclusion (in HIS mind) that proof exists WITHOUT any evidence!!!! I've come to recognize this as a principle that goes with him wherever he goes. :o Trust me. After a year of repeatedly exposing this for wot it is, I can tell you with all confidence that it always will.

Just trying to give you an idea of wot y'er dealing with here, my friend. When you think you're communicating with someone using a common language and sharing a common basis for understanding, things are NOT always as they seem!!! ;)

NOTE: If I were you, I wouldn't look at the rotating green dodecahedron too long. It may well have properties associated with it that carry consequences you might not be prepared for. See any markings on it? Me either. Doesn't mean there aren't any there -- and frankly, it makes me a little nervous because it could have some kinda hypnotic capability. . . In the interest of self-preservation, best consider a vast array of other-worldly possibilities. . . :wacko:

The dark and purply, alien world of Remulac, from high orbit approach:

post-1212-1175178745.jpg

-- for Dave to wind up with a firm conclusion (in HIS mind) that proof exists WITHOUT any evidence!!!! I've come to recognize this as a principle that goes with him wherever he goes. :o

The evidence is there.

You can ignore it or not.

I have no doubt in my mind that the evidence presented here has shown which filter of three will resist spin off best. You are welcome to disagree, but to lie and say there is no evidence and mock me is down right rude.

On one hand you are thanking Ryland for the evidence and then on the other you are slamming me as if Ryland never presented any evidence.

What changed your tone to ignore it, Ratchet?

Feel an uncontrollable need to personally attack me with your Remulac crap?

Grow up.

Guest ratchethack

The evidence is there.

You can ignore it or not.

I have no doubt in my mind that the evidence presented here has shown which filter of three will resist spin off best. You are welcome to disagree, but to lie and say there is no evidence and mock me is down right rude.

On one hand you are thanking Ryland for the evidence and then on the other you are slamming me as if Ryland never presented any evidence.

What changed your tone to ignore it, Ratchet?

Feel an uncontrollable need to personally attack me with your Remulac crap?

Grow up.

[.....sigh.....]

Seems the Laing-leaps are coming fast and furious lately. . . .

ANOTHER false accusation of LYING , Dave? This is getting a little repetitive, isn't it?

Well, once again, it's a serious charge. Let's explore this and see if it's got any legs. . . .

Dave, I think you'll find that I thanked Ryland for his expertise, his effort, his approach, and his conscientious research. I indicated an appreciation for his analysis. At no point did I thank him for either any evidence or any proof that any filter had any better retention than any other. Nor did he present or claim anything as either evidence or proof of such! I'm sure he'd be pleased to explain this to you himself, assuming this is actually needed after reading his posts. :huh2: How is it that this is so obvious to me (and at least one other, but probably anyone else here who read it) and yet you can't seem to comprehend it??? We all read the same posts????

It's the same old thing here with a new name: "another Laing-leap": a leap of faith whereby proof exists without evidence. :homer:

This may exist in an alternate reality far far beyond the orbit of the Blue Planet. But it won't fly here, Dave. :huh2:

The terms we've previously discussed in depth (evidence, proof, theory, speculation, knowledge, truth, logic, reason, etc.) so many many many many many times are neither interchangeable nor very flexible. You can't simply stretch them to fit wotever you dream up, Dave. These are not minor technicalities, nor is this hair-splitting. There are critical distinctions involved here -- but they're ones I figure pretty much anyone with your level of intelligence shouldn't have anywhere nearly so much persistent difficulty with -- unless you're bound and determined to exercise a perverse, deliberate preference to side-step the basic foundations of reality on this planet!!

Dave, I spent an entire year presenting scientific argument from the most credible legitimate scientific sources known to the mind of man. At each step I had to back up to accomodate you by repeatedly providing the same basic definitions over and over again, ad nauseum. Again, these are fundamental concepts that all of Western civilization and Western thought has been built upon for many thousands of years. Now it seems that you're still as fuzzy on these as ever, and frankly, I'm sick of you reverting after all that repetition as if we haven't been through all of it before so very many many many many many times. <_<

No more waltzing around in your dark and purply haze for me, Dave. I won't go there any more. It's little wonder you wind up with so many other-worldly ideas, such as the bizarre notion that proof of AGW exists -- without any evidence! :homer:

It's way past time for you to come HERE for a change, and get with the Blue Planet program, Dave..... :whistle:

Hey, I've got it! Here's an all-new approach:

Earth Mother Gaia NEEDS YOU to observe the same ground rules SHE DOES, Dave!

Since you're such an avid Anthro-Glo-Warmie/Coolie -- How about that?? Does that get through?! :huh2:

I know you're lots smarter than this, Dave. ;) Somebody's got to be "rude" to you. I really think you ought to be thanking me for calling you on stuff like this. Otherwise, you'd just keep drifting off to (well, you know). . . :whistle:

Vaya con Dios, mi compadre. ;)

Congrats on yet another personal attack Rat. :bbblll::bbblll::bbblll:

Dave, don't worry about the child. His only defense mechanism is to attack personally whenever someone questions his supreme authority. This behavior is very common in those with superiority complexes. Typical of Type B personalities who so desperately want the world to think that they are really Type A. Also very common with men who have never been happy with their pitifully small weiners.

He's a joke. And each one of his personal attacks shows everyone who he really is.

My favorite was when he was trying to attack my being single. ??? Ran out of any real argument. Laughable loser.

Rj

Dave, don't worry about the child.

:drink:

I probably should not have called him a liar :P But how else can one explain him saying that there was no evidence???? He really is not that stupid, is he?????? :huh2:

I think it's time for Sumo matchup between Dave and Ratchett. You can tug on each others' drawers for real and do lots of grunting and sweating while we cheer you on and place bets. Based on mass alone, the favorite has to be Dave, but Ratchett my have the quickness and sinew to toss Dave out of the ring. Shall we schedule it as part of the '08 SoCal national?

I think it's time for Sumo matchup between Dave and Ratchett. You can tug on each others' drawers for real and do lots of grunting and sweating while we cheer you on and place bets. Based on mass alone, the favorite has to be Dave, but Ratchett my have the quickness and sinew to toss Dave out of the ring. Shall we schedule it as part of the '08 SoCal national?

I am up for it if we make it a mixed doubles tag team Jello® match :P:

But last time I offered someone on this forum such a hot opportunity they turned her down :huh2:

I was thinking more along the lines of pistolas at dawn, but since neither of our countries allows such gentlemanly dispute settlements...

And you are absolutely correct Dave. He's flip flopping again. Funny how Rat will accept his precious yet flawed K&N filter "study" as absolute proof, yet when you make the same connection with Ryland's work - out comes the dictionary again. :rolleyes:

At least his behavior is consistent. Anything that meets or supports his preconceived notions is heralded as absolute proof and anything that contradicts his supreme authority is chastized and berated, no matter how sound.

It's like arguing with a 5 year old.

Rj

This used to be a gentleman's forum... :huh2:

Rj

I believe it still is, but passionate egos will clash from time to time. I have learned it's better to interpret the viewpoint of another one finds disagreeable as coming from ignorance rather than malice. That makes it easier to take an attitude of compassion (without arrogance), rather than to lash out with anger and add fuel to the fire.

OK.....I THOUGHT this thread was about oil filters loosening up? Let's all just bash each other privately. That would work wouldn't it?

Anyway.....if you all read that "failure to lubricate" thread that I've posted, you'll notice that I just posted the news that my oil filter DID in fact loosen up on its own and the previous owner is to blame. (and me of course for not double-checking his work).

Regardless, I would like some solid advice for how to prevent this issue again. I will, of course, tighten the filter up as tightly as I can, but I want a cheap insurance policy to keep my piece of mind about it. Anyone care to sound off on what I should do???

The peaceful and non-confrontational,

Alan

OK.....I THOUGHT this thread was about oil filters loosening up? Let's all just bash each other privately. That would work wouldn't it?

Anyway.....if you all read that "failure to lubricate" thread that I've posted, you'll notice that I just posted the news that my oil filter DID in fact loosen up on its own and the previous owner is to blame. (and me of course for not double-checking his work).

Regardless, I would like some solid advice for how to prevent this issue again. I will, of course, tighten the filter up as tightly as I can, but I want a cheap insurance policy to keep my piece of mind about it. Anyone care to sound off on what I should do???

The peaceful and non-confrontational,

Alan

Nah, (sorry to be confrontational, but I must stop ignorance wherever I see it, no malice intended) this thread is not about oil filters loosening up, but about how to stop filters from loosening up. :P

As for solid advice, I cannot help you. But I will offer the following.

Buy a Purolator and tighten it just a little more than by the book.

I think some other great ideas were proposed by Greg Field and Yaledriver (and myself), but I think Ryland's work led to the best solution short of major re-engineering.

The apparent faults with Greg Field's solution are the inconvenience and the possibility of the hose clamp loosening or falling apart.

The apparent faults with Yaledriver's solution are the strength of the trap door under pressure, and the security of the shim, as well as the inconvenience.

My solution of putting rubber between filter and hatch, reduces the pressure problem but does not eliminate it, and has a host of other problems regarding securing the rubber.

Ryland's measurements and analysis proves (to me) that the Purolator measured is less likely to come off than the UFI or SuperTechs that we measured.

(But please note that some respected people disagree :bier: )