Brake Meltdown!

Guest dkgross

Try 3.5 months for cylinder head gaskets. Dave, check the part no's for the LeMans against those of a 97 Sport 1100i. They're probably the same, if they are, I can lend you my relatively new disk and caliper from the Bugswatter. I have less then 1500 miles on them.

Guest Guzzibill

Mine rear rotor has groaned from day one and when I asked the Orange County dealer about it , he said they all do and not to worry about it :huh: hmmm

Now I`m hearing it while riding through town :blink: Think I`ll be trying to slack off the adjuster and consider shimming or whining more if that doesn`t work.

I recall a guy back east .... Walt, Champagne Lemans ?? ... changed his rotor carrier rivets out and did a full floating conversion which ended his warping blues.

Bill Ross

Guest dkgross

thanks for the offer Carl. I spoke to them today, and they're pretty sure it will arrive tommorow...Friday at the latest. They've got two shipments coming this week.

of course..if their 'tracking' system was a tad more up to date.....

:) the joy of being a small dealership.

I recall a guy back east .... Walt, Champagne Lemans ?? ... changed his rotor carrier rivets out and did a full floating conversion which ended his warping blues.

Any idea if that was front or rear disk(s)

I think the front are semi floating and the rear do not float, so he probably converted the front...

Guest dkgross

sigh. after picking the bike up saturday am and riding for 100 miles, I pulled home and started to wash her.

looking at the new rear rotor, it had huge, deep GROOVES carved in it! If I run my finger across the disk, my nail will actually get caught. Kinda like a railroad track all the way around the circumference of the disk.

I'm thinking the pads weren't installed right. Going back tomorrow am. sigh. :wacko:

the rear do not float

My EBC rear pads just went to metal after 6000 miles. The originals and some Galfer blacks went 10000 each. And I've been consciously staying off the rear brake to avoid cooking the wheel bearing. So, I figure, "the caliper pin needs a lube."

But, :homer: ,there is no caliper pin! Not only does the disc not float - - the caliper doesn't either! I thought something had to float. Is it by design that these bikes eat their rear brakes? Can they be converted to a semi-floating disc? :ninja:

Since it is a dual piston caliper it does not have to float. The pistons will move in the caliper relative to the rotor. i.e. if the inside pad wears faster the inside pistons moves out farther.

I though I had solved my grona problem by removing the pad tension spring some 4000 miles ago but I have heard a slight wimper lately. I need to clean the bike though too.

I would imaging you could create your own semi floating rotor by replacing the rotor bolts with some custom stepped bolts with wave washers on either side of the rotor. A little shimming of the caliper my be in order though.