Oil leak

richard100t

So, I freshened the O-ring with a #112 from the kit at the auto parts store labeled "oil seals." The fit looks excellent (better than my last attempt).

Looking forward to some miles. So much more now that spring begins next week!

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, neither the plumbing dept at Ace Hardware, nor the "oil seal" selection at O'Reilly's Auto Parts specified the material.

Yet, I feel a lot better with something that says "oil seal" instead of "plumbing." :homer:

• 1 month later...

GOOD GRIEF!

20140513_142141.jpg

There was not one drop of oil on my garage floor this morning, ride to work and somebody call B.P., there's oil everywhere.

Yep thats a piece of cover gasket. I happen to have one in my stash-o-stuff, so I'm in the process of taking her apart. Now my question is, can I fish the cover out without pulling the motor clear out?

Simple answer: "yes." :luigi:

I thought it would be possible....I found that some of the cover bolts were loose...well at least not as tight as the others. Dave

Might want to start with cinching everything down properly, clean it all up and spray footpowder all about to see where the wetness reappears. There are a couple other culprits that can simulate a timing chest leak.

That said, it is not so good that you can have a piece of the gasket in your hand  : (

That said, it is not so good that you can have a piece of the gasket in your hand  : (

Yea Docc, that piece of gasket was sticking out of the cover seam right behind that mounting bolt...Really bummed me out :bbblll:  Dave

There are a couple really good threads here on making that gasket right. Let me know if you have trouble finding them.

Joe I've been following your thread on W/G with interest. I'm just not wanting to tear the whole front of the bike down to do this repair. But it looks as though I'll at least have to pull the tank and loosen the front sub-frame to gain enough access to get the cover out. I really dont want to pull the fairing. Dave 

Joe I've been following your thread on W/G with interest. I'm just not wanting to tear the whole front of the bike down to do this repair. But it looks as though I'll at least have to pull the tank and loosen the front sub-frame to gain enough access to get the cover out. I really dont want to pull the fairing. Dave 

Having just pulled the tank on my 2002 LeMans to get at the fuel and air filters and replace some cracked rubber hosts, I can say that it was much easier than I expected.  Of course no matter how tight I closed it the manual closure on the fuel tank would not shut off.  So I got gasoline everywhere.  Next time I'll know just stuff the drain line on it and drain it dry before.

I took some time to inspect all the hidden parts under the tank and it looks to me that you could easily unbolt the front sub-frame (after supporting the engine from below since it supports the bike's weight) and have the timing cover off easily.  I was interested in scoping this out since mine is leaking there also, well "weeping" would be a better word, just enough so that there is a small smear of oil in that area after a ride.  Not a problem yet but in my experiences, oil leaks just get worse over time, never better.

Dawdish, having done this timing cover gasket on a lemans. I can tell you that pulling off the fairing is probably the easiest part, really! It's only like six bolts and it comes right off don't let that scare you.