It must have been a cold winter and too much dark rum. I put a deposit on a Harley sidecar outfit!!!

At my age I just had to try a bike that I don't have to worry about falling over (of course it can still tip over!)

Stay tuned for my new adventure. :bike:

It must have been a cold winter and too much dark rum. I put a deposit on a Harley sidecar outfit!!!

At my age I just had to try a bike that I don't have to worry about falling over (of course it can still tip over!)

So your motto will be What, me worry? :bier:

wish you the best but probably even more important be safe. I recently googled why Christian Neuhauser died on his mc...didn't know he had a third wheel.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandup...y_18_2005_news/

Wreck of the Week: RoadRunner Magazine Publisher Killed in Collision with 18-Wheeler

Reports don't make it clear exactly how Christian Neuhauser's sidecar ended up under the tractor-trailer on Interstate 40 in North Carolina, but it appears that he lost control, causing the truck to swerve and fall onto him. This does nothing to raise our low regard of the safety of sidecars. The motorcycle publishing industry is mourning his loss.

Winston-Salem Journal, NC

WXII TV, NC

Neuhauser's Final Column

RoadRunner Condolences Forum

I looked into a sidehack a while back, decided it was more than I needed and would be a pain to drive. The beauty of the Harley setup is you can remove it when you aren't riding two-up. But I think trikes are a lot cooler looking, and more stable too. That seems to be the usual transition when a riders legs are no longer up to supporting a loaded bike. Just remember to forget everything you know about riding a motorcycle when on a sidehack.

:)

Joe

my first proper bike was a BSA A 65 lightning and Watsonian Monza "combination " as I did not have a full license at the time and you could ride any cc as long as you had a chair( this was in the UK ). I can tell you that you need training to ride one if you have never done anything than ride solo !!!!!!! A good few of us at the time rode larger brit bikes in this way and the rule was that unless you were exceptionally gifted or bloody lucky you would end up in a hedge within a few days ...for us trouble was remembering to accelerate into a left hander so that the bikes rear wheel pivotes around the sidecar wheel . I guess for you guys you would do it on the opposit bends. You also needed a bike with enough poke or always keep some "in reserve " but the lightning was fine ...

Once mastered the combination is a really amazing vehicle especially in the wet or in snow... Did many many miles after I got my full license 'cause it was so cool but I also had a solo for getting through the trafic.

A big harley should cope with a chair easely . I guess you have ample torque but the running gear will be a lot more stressed so keep on top of your maintenance.Also run proper sidecar tyres if you can.Also make sur that the side car is properly set up and sufficiantly fixed to the bike. I've gota really fab article by "Slide rule " ( I think) written in the late thirties dicussing the whole issue and it is amazing how a few degrees lean out or toe in change the whole feel of the combo. There was also an article about how to ride the things but I'm not sure if I could lay my hands on it straight away.

Have fun and take it easy at first!!

I looked into a sidehack a while back, decided it was more than I needed and would be a pain to drive. The beauty of the Harley setup is you can remove it when you aren't riding two-up. But I think trikes are a lot cooler looking, and more stable too. That seems to be the usual transition when a riders legs are no longer up to supporting a loaded bike. Just remember to forget everything you know about riding a motorcycle when on a sidehack.

:)

Joe

Outfits are like _nothing_ else on the road. You have to learn riding from scratch.

Trikes are possibly less stable than an outfit, as the outfit at least has two wheels on one side. Both of them are formatted the wrong way round. Two at the front, one at the back is _much_ more stable.

Outfits are like _nothing_ else on the road. You have to learn riding from scratch.

Trikes are possibly less stable than an outfit, as the outfit at least has two wheels on one side. Both of them are formatted the wrong way round. Two at the front, one at the back is _much_ more stable.

And yet almost nobody builds them that way.

Bob Nolan's trike is a beautiful piece of work:

http://www.inet-rendezvous.com/motoguzzi/BobsTrike.htm

And yet almost nobody builds them that way.

Bob Nolan's trike is a beautiful piece of work:

http://www.inet-rendezvous.com/motoguzzi/BobsTrike.htm

There are also the guzzi engined " triking" three wheelers in the classic Morgan format. I think and hope they are still in production as they are really lovely little vehicles and were available in kit form for self assembly for those with either the nouse or not enough cash to get tony to do it for you. He has built over a hundred of these I think ...And yes , that two wheels first format would defiantly give you the best handling :in the sixties sidecar racing they had to seperate them from the 'proper " outfits as they were wipeing the floor useing hillman imp and mini engines. The results that the morgan boys were getting around then on the track useing old JAP v twins were also really impressive. :oldgit:

As for what is now usually refered to as a trike.... :vomit: !!!!! and i suspect that they do not handle particularely well either !!!!

The only trike I've ever liked (wheels rear type) was the one Jesse James "Monster Garaged" out of an old Peterbuilt. Massive diesel engine, trans, drive wheels and a single wheel out front. Strap a bit of a cage to sit side saddle and blast down the road.

Also about the only JJ product I've gotten a hoot out of! Now That's a trike!

Rj

pimg_1093546623_932601.jpg

The only trike I've ever liked (wheels rear type) was the one Jesse James "Monster Garaged" out of an old Peterbuilt. Massive diesel engine, trans, drive wheels and a single wheel out front. Strap a bit of a cage to sit side saddle and blast down the road.

Also about the only JJ product I've gotten a hoot out of! Now That's a trike!

Rj

That's cool, but i was thinking more along the lines of this:

trike3.jpg

or if you prefer two wheels forward, this:

bilde.jpg

Joe