GPS unit????

scottybee

I got my first Guzzi (2003 LeMans) a few months ago, I love it of course.

The previous owner had installed this raymarine unit that I think was used to connect to a GPS or something.

I'm not really sure what it is.photobucket

As you can see in the photo there is also a volt meter that had been installed on the left side of the fairing. photobucket...

Also wired into this thing was a Fiam horn relay and the Fiam horn is mounted to thr right side fairing bracket. photobucket... There was a wire from the Raymarine box to the horn relay to the Fiam horn then a wire from the Fiam horn to the stock horn. Although the stock horn is the only one I ever heard.

Also coming from this box is a cable that looks like it would plug into a display screen.photobucket...

There is also a 12V outlet which had been mounted under the left rear fender similar too, but smaller than a cigar lighter type outlet. photobucket

There is a power lead going to the + battery terminal and to ground.

The worst part of this thing is the guy also wired into the headlight coupler I guess for the light in the volt meter. But He stripped back insulation from the black and yellow wires right at the coupler and spliced into them then just wrapped the mess in electrical tape. I'm not sure how I can fix this. photobucket.. Does anyone know if I can take that coupler apart and reinsert the wires?

Here are some other pics. photobucket...

photobucket...

So does anyone know exactly what this thing is and any reason I should have left it on the bike? Ooops maybe I should have asked that before I took it all off.

Actually I wouldn't mind putting the volt meter back on but I'm not sure where I should connect the wires to.

I would also like to have that Fiam horn working. Where can I hook into the horn button wire?

Thanks

So, what's in the box when you open it up?

Too bad about the way he treated the connector. Using some heat shrink and soldering those wires would be a good approach.

The accessory outlet looks like it's for an electric vest or such. I think those are referred to as 'Powerlet' connectors.Compare it to what you see in the Aerostich Riderwearhouse catalog or Whitehorse Press. And make sure it's fused.

Routing the original horn wire (from the swwitcg) to the horn relay will activate the relay. A fused hot from the battery to the relay makes power for the horn. 14 guage is good though some have gone bigger. Most Fiamm set-ups have two horns. Check out some solutions by clicking this thread on"Horns" .

Best of luck! Perhaps you could ride the thing to the Tennessee Mountains for the South'n Spine Raid in June.