Damaged Exhaust - repair or replace?

slowkitty

Hiya .. right exhaust muffler on my V11 is damaged; at the end where the front end of the Carbon Fibre (nearer the x-over than the end of the pipe) is, scrapped and sort of merged into the grinded metal of the can.

My tech says that the Carbon sleeve can be pushed out and repaired, and the metal area rewelded and ground. How much do you guys reckon a new CF muffler would cost, or is this a good time to go for a pair of Leo Vince?

Cheers

Cat

From Guzzi? it won't be cheap maybe time to look for a Ghezzi Brian Quat D (search is your friend) depends on what the local athourities are like on Niose athough its highly like you could find some secound had stockers on E-bay or similar from somebody who has already done the leo-vince thing.

Guest ratchethack

Hey Cat -- I'm really interested in this too, having roached an FBF oval carbon somewhat worse than yours. :( Sorry, since it's ALSO on the right-hand side, we're both looking for a "lefty" in good shape that's probably scarcer 'n hen's teeth..... <_<

Seems to me that pounding out/welding/refinishing the stanless part would be easy enough. But who/where can you go for a replacement or repair of the CF?? :huh2:

Anyone here have any experience drilling out the rivets on one o' these and slipping the CF off?

Anybody with a roached-out lefty who might want to sell me their righty or split the cost of a new pair?

I reckon Cat should have first shot, since this is his thread. -_-

Enquiring minds...(well, you know) :huh2:

Please advise!

Hey Cat -- I'm really interested in this too, having roached an FBF oval carbon somewhat worse than yours. :( Sorry, since it's ALSO on the right-hand side, we're both looking for a "lefty" in good shape that's probably scarcer 'n hen's teeth..... <_>

Seems to me that pounding out/welding/refinishing the stanless part would be easy enough. But who/where can you go for a replacement or repair of the CF?? :huh2:

Anyone here have any experience drilling out the rivets on one o' these and slipping the CF off?

Anybody with a roached-out lefty who might want to sell me their righty or split the cost of a new pair?

I reckon Cat should have first shot, since this is his thread. -_-

Enquiring minds...(well, you know) :huh2:

Please advise!

Can't speak for FBF mufflers, but I've drilled out the rivets and de-sleeved a Mistral aluminum round (now looking for some 4" OD aluminum tubing to replace the munched sleeve.) My guess is that there's very little difference.

You could cut a section out of each silencer and then get the end fitted back on- I know a few Ducati Monster riders do this to shorten their pipes, especially after chopping off the rear tea tray.

Maybe you could lose a couple of inches each side.

Guy :helmet:

Hey Cat -- I'm really interested in this too, having roached an FBF oval carbon somewhat worse than yours. :( Sorry, since it's ALSO on the right-hand side, we're both looking for a "lefty" in good shape that's probably scarcer 'n hen's teeth..... <_>

haha ... mine is damaged on right muffler, so actually I can take your right one!!!!! :P Mine is the original exhaust, is that the FBF?

Seriously, my tech and I removed the carbon sleeve by removing the end of the muffler (3 torx nuts) and then tapping out the carbon sleeve using a piece of wood, loads of WD40 and tearing out the fiber padding between the can and the sleeve while we were at it. Took the best part of 2 hours.

The damaged carbon sleeve can be patched somewhat, but I doubt that the end-result will be cosmetically undetectable, and I am sure that since there is no real chemical bond between the old carbon mat and the new, not as durable. There is also no question of rotating it cos' of the 2 1.5 cm holes in the sleeve for the bracket to attach to the can, which would then be on the outside of the muffler.

The end-can itself can be knocked out, patched and polished, so claimed my tech.

I've contacted Corse Italiania about a replacement but no response so far. I dunno any other dealer who stocks the original cans, so I guess I have to press on with the fix or go for ratchethack's undamaged righty, eh, right? :bbblll:

Will update you guys on the fix's progress.

Cheers

Cat

If it's the stock Scura right muffler, we have at Moto International a slightly used one in very good condition. It does not have the mounting tab part that bolts to the muffler.

Thanks, Greg ... have mailed Moto International, but do PM me with the quote for the pipe as well as the shipping charge to Singapore.

Cheers

Cat

As a related thought, since scuffing my RHS silencer up I have found that Halfords satin black engine paint is a very good match for the original satin black finish. Only used it on a patch so far, but will soon repaint the whole silencer once I've got chance to take the bike off the road for a couple of days. Still need to hammer out a couple of small dents and finish the polishing process.