electrical problem

mikie

I rode the bike (V11 LeMans) to the office yesterday and while cruising along it stalled and then turned over but wouldn't start. When turning on the ignition, I noticed the fuel pump wasn't turning on. Ended up pushing the bike the remaining 1/2 mile to work. Later in the day I checked the fuses (all were fine) and was going to look at the relay connections but couldn't figure how to do this, so just tapped everything and made sure to the best of my limited abilities that all was tightened down properly. In the end, the bike started. On the way home it stalled again while riding, but then started up. I was thinking of going to WSB in Monterey this weekend, but am now a little leary about riding the MG up there for fear of being stranded somewhere. Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have a bad relay, or more likely just a bad/dirty contact.

Make sure you have the new Siemens relays(tall) or get the aftermarket Bosch units if you have any of the "short" old relays which were problematic.

Take all the relays out and reinsert them several times to "scratch" any oxidation from the contacts.

If that's not a fix... then the detective work begins :unsure:

al

You can also start swapping around relays to try and isolate the one that doesn't work. Basically, take the one from socket 1 and put it in 2 and test. If no change, put it in 3 and repeat. Of course, if 2 or more relays have died at the same time, this test may not help much!

and if it died while riding, that is dangerous. I would suspect the kickstand switch or any relay associated with it.

However if the bike is in neutral and it will not start, that may greatly reduce the chance that it is the kickstand switch.

Most of the failures that I have heard of our starting failures and not stalls while riding.

Also look for loose battery connections