UFI oil filter paranoia

quazi-moto

I just did my first oil change on my 03 Lemans. The previous owner or dealer (whom ever did the last oil change), used the UFI filter with no hise clamp. The filter was definately not tight. I think the rubber seal was still in full contact but there was no torque at all. I just gave it a spin and it was loose.

Of course I have no idea how it was installed or tightened, all I know is it was a UFI and it was not tight.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys just a little tip here. If someone has already covered this I appologise. Install your filter of choice and tighten normally. I use my hand and cinch it down pretty good as I have a pretty good grip. I then install a hose clamp around the filter and orient the screw part of the clamp to rest up against the oil pressure relief valve thus preventing it from backwards rotation. I have never encountered any problems. If anyone is unclear of what I'm talking about here I will post up a pic when I get a chance. This is the equivelent of safety wire for the filter!

Mike

Hey guys just a little tip here. If someone has already covered this I appologise. Install your filter of choice and tighten normally. I use my hand and cinch it down pretty good as I have a pretty good grip. I then install a hose clamp around the filter and orient the screw part of the clamp to rest up against the oil pressure relief valve thus preventing it from backwards rotation. I have never encountered any problems. If anyone is unclear of what I'm talking about here I will post up a pic when I get a chance. This is the equivelent of safety wire for the filter!

Mike

It's been discussed allright. I don't feel need to use it myself though I think it's a cool idea and I guess it adds security. Others argue that the clamp must be tightened extremely hard and may be prone to breaking - so you are adding problems - and if you install the filter correctly it won't get loose, and thus the bottom line: if you don't install the filter right, you are probably not gonna install that clamp correctly either :rolleyes:

Each to his own :drink::mg::luigi::bier:

It's been discussed allright. I don't feel need to use it myself though I think it's a cool idea and I guess it adds security. Others argue that the clamp must be tightened extremely hard and may be prone to breaking - so you are adding problems - and if you install the filter correctly it won't get loose, and thus the bottom line: if you don't install the filter right, you are probably not gonna install that clamp correctly either :rolleyes:

Each to his own :drink::mg::luigi::bier:

:stupid: