Swingarm Pivot bolt torque?

BrianG

I have yet to see a device to accurately measure the torque on steering-bearing adjusters. The theory is to take up all the play and hold them at whatever torque that is. Again, you can see freeplay that you cannot feel. Look at the line formed by the top or bottom of the bearing tunnel. As you try to wiggle the forks you will see any relative movement between that line on the frame and the triple clamps. Adjust until you see no relative movement and lock the locknut.

Thanks!

and thank you Brian.

I'll stick to the light touch, zero freeplay.

Guest ratchethack

A wrap?? Thought you were about to do a Rube Goldberg coke bottle torque measurement??

I was hoping a qualified Engineering type would jump in here with an analysis and definitive source reference to tapered roller bearing preload. :blush:

A wrap?? Thought you were about to do a Rube Goldberg coke bottle torque measurement??

I was hoping a qualified Engineering type would jump in here with an analysis and definitive source reference to tapered roller bearing preload. :blush:

Not to worry..... I'll still look for the data on torque loading as promised, if for no other reason than morbid curiosity.

The"wrap" was just a reference to the shade-tree engineering discussion and consensus about the theory of steering stem bearing loading.

My son is about to graduate from engineering this spring as an aero-space engineer from the Canadian Forces University in Kingston. He's been busy with wrapping up his thesis on RPV control systems, but now that he's finished his defense of the thesis, I can now challenge him with something more useful, like motorcycle steering-bearing load analysis... :whistle: This ought to be interesting!! :rasta:

:D

Good one, Andy -- Different rate springs f'er different pens. Yes, indeed. But as you know, preload doesn't have any effect on spring rate, so preloaded in "ball-point out" position and "ball-point in" preload positions both allow the same torque at the bar-ends! ! ;):whistle:

How else to measure such low steering resistance torque? :huh2: I dunno without invoking the spirit of Rube Goldberg. ;)

Rube Goldberg gets his think-tank working and evolves the simplified pencil-sharpener (see below).

Open window (A) and fly kite (B ). String © lifts small door (D) allowing moths (E) to escape and eat red flannel shirt (F). As weight of shirt becomes less, shoe (G) steps on switch (H) which heats electric iron (I) and burns hole in pants (J). Smoke (K) enters hole in tree (L), smoking out opossum (M) which jumps into basket (N), pulling rope (O) and lifting cage (P), allowing woodpecker (Q) to chew wood from pencil ®, exposing lead. Emergency knife (S) is always handy in case opossum or the woodpecker gets sick and can't work.

:D Glad to give raise to a smile mate! ta for input on my rear wheel shim..jus gotta find the bugger!

ps, think yer torque measurment brillant idea. spot on.