What about ABS

Alex-Corsa

I am thinking to instal ABS on my 1100i sport Corsa, does anyone knows about it?.If it is possible and how , or if someone did it and how can it be done?

Only the front would be OK and enough for it if there are any patends around or what can it be done ,I would like to know.

I am thinking to instal ABS on my 1100i sport Corsa, does anyone knows about it?.If it is possible and how , or if someone did it and how can it be done?

Only the front would be OK and enough for it if there are any patends around or what can it be done ,I would like to know.

It would easier, maybe even cheaper, to buy a Norge with ABS and change the bodywork. Seriously.

It would easier, maybe even cheaper, to buy a Norge with ABS and change the bodywork. Seriously.

Hey, Carl, you "used" ABS yet?

Granted, if I have done so, I sure wouldn't be looking at the instruments to see if the light flashed! And, also think any such event would have enough other markers--e.g., filled underwear!--to know, and I've had nothing "memorable" in that regard.

So ... you seen, heard, felt, etc., it engage?

I know on the Ballabio, I've had several instances where, thru the miracle of gyroscopic stability, not my skill, I've stayed upright despite inept braking in the wet, and assume similar instance on Norge would be more manageable and less memorable.

Bill

Guest Nogbad

I did a riding course last year on an airfield, it was all about high speed braking, learning how to lock it up and not to panic etc.

Anyway, they had a couple of ABS bikes there, a Honda Pan and a Beemer. The instructor took the bikes on a flat grassy area where we could "try out" the ABS on the slippy turf.

Yuk. The Honda is better, as the ABS system works at a higher rate of grab and release. The Beemer was a case of AAGH I'm gone.....er...I'm still upright and its ok...... No I'm not AAAgh.... Phew. You get the idea. Both bikes felt like the brakes had failed.

Don't like it. Just get some training and plenty of practice in using conventional brakes. ABS is dumbing down the biking experience. If you are into 'elfin safety, drive a car for christs sake.

I did a riding course last year on an airfield, it was all about high speed braking, learning how to lock it up and not to panic etc.

Anyway, they had a couple of ABS bikes there, a Honda Pan and a Beemer. The instructor took the bikes on a flat grassy area where we could "try out" the ABS on the slippy turf.

Yuk. The Honda is better, as the ABS system works at a higher rate of grab and release. The Beemer was a case of AAGH I'm gone.....er...I'm still upright and its ok...... No I'm not AAAgh.... Phew. You get the idea. Both bikes felt like the brakes had failed.

Don't like it. Just get some training and plenty of practice in using conventional brakes. ABS is dumbing down the biking experience. If you are into 'elfin safety, drive a car for christs sake.

Well, hrrmmppff. :P

Actually, what I find interesting just now is that my EV, the daily commuter for me, has integrated brakes, the Ballabio "non-dumbed-down" brakes, and the Norge ABS (with lock-out for those who are smarter than their motorcycles). Switching between the three leads to a few minutes of sorting the differences out. I usually get that settled quickly enough ... well, except for tooting the Ballabio's horn when I make turns. :D

Bill

It is hard for me to believe that in technological age in 2007 there isn't an ABS conversion kit for non ABS bikes.

I guess I will have to "yahoo it"

Guest Nogbad

It is hard for me to believe that in technological age in 2007 there isn't an ABS conversion kit for non ABS bikes.

I'm lost. Here we are extolling the virtues of simplicity and campaigning for a bygone design of motorcycle, and some people want to load it up with computers and brake pumps and sensors etc. If you want ABS, buy a complete safety bike from BMW or Honda. At least you know it will work! Save the Guzzi for trackdays.

I've had the ABS working on my rear wheel after hitting an unexpected bump while braking hard. Felt a flash of rapid pumping in the pedal.

Without ABS, the result would have been a skidding rear tyre. I'm not too proud to say I like it there. :bier:

Paul is right. There's absolutely no way.

To Nogbad and others: this diskussion was led some 10 years ago already, when ABS was introduced for cars. Lots of pros and cons. The truth is that ABS is a definite safety plus, especially when the grip changes. Forget your expensive braking course when you have to react to sudden, unexpected changes of tire friction like sand, wet spots etc in a panic situation. And you don't need to fall, it's often enough if you're a bit slower when the impact comes

I'd probably always buy the bike I like, but when I had the option for an ABS system then I'd probably spend this money!

Hubert

I'm lost. Here we are extolling the virtues of simplicity and campaigning for a bygone design of motorcycle, and some people want to load it up with computers and brake pumps and sensors etc. If you want ABS, buy a complete safety bike from BMW or Honda. At least you know it will work! Save the Guzzi for trackdays.

Yes , a BMW could do, the new S perhaps , the Germans have got it right on this one :thumbsup:. Nope I don't do track days for me is just a waste of time and money.

As for brake training it can be helpfull of some short, but in wet and slipery or variable road conditions that one could need an ABS mostly, is also useless, since in order to learn braking to

the best possible(in such conditions) start imagining how many times one will take a slip with the bike in practice just to learn.

Forget your expensive braking course when you have to react to sudden, unexpected changes of tire friction like sand, wet spots etc in a panic situation. And you don't need to fall, it's often enough if you're a bit slower when the impact comes

Hubert

I agree to this point 100%

I had a 2003 Honda ST1300 (Pan) with ABS. It saved my bacon once. I don't feel it is a dumbing down of the riding experience, it is an enhancement, especially for a bike/rider that puts down a lot of mileage. :food:

ABS is virtually "invisible" until you need it in a panic situation. If any rider thinks that they are better without ABS brakes on the street environment, they are fooling themselves. :2c:

I would love to have ABS on my Scura or Daytona. Since I don't, I ride very conservatively. Okay, I rode my Honda a little on the hot side and damn near had to pick up a nasty tab. But the ABS kept me out of a collision that happened in front of me. My ABS Panic stop hauled my ass down 6 feet from being involved.

Do you need it? That's a personal question. Is it for everybody? Maybe not. I for one, would embrace the technology and install the system if it were ever made available (not likely).

:bier::mg:

:ninja:

Hey, Carl, you "used" ABS yet?

Granted, if I have done so, I sure wouldn't be looking at the instruments to see if the light flashed! And, also think any such event would have enough other markers--e.g., filled underwear!--to know, and I've had nothing "memorable" in that regard.

So ... you seen, heard, felt, etc., it engage?

I know on the Ballabio, I've had several instances where, thru the miracle of gyroscopic stability, not my skill, I've stayed upright despite inept braking in the wet, and assume similar instance on Norge would be more manageable and less memorable.

Bill

Yep, on gravel at low speed. Very weird sensation. No idea how well it works on pavement nor how that would feel. Optimately, I'll never find out. Pragmatically though, it seems inevitable given the level of driver education necessary to get a license to drive a cage. They're out to kill us you know...

It's not the technology, it's the lawyers. If anything at all goes wrong with the ABS "kit", the manufacturer gets their shirts sued off. Especially in the USA.

I think a Norge chassis all tarted up with the tank and seat etc of a classic spine frame would be spectacular. Troublesome to adapt I'm sure, but boy, that would be a sweet bike. You'd want to complete it with Ohlins suspension though to completely finish the job.

The response of some of the readers of this request for info makes my head shake and eyes roll. Honestly, I think most of you complainers should sell your Lemans' and get yourself an old Falcone or something like that. Something with pitifull brakes and no power. Golly, wouldn't want technology like them new disc brakes, oh no!!! What if that brake fluid leaks out, NO BRAKES!!!

I've had seat time on many ABS equipped bikes. The ABS system will not activate in normal dry riding conditions unless you have hands of steel. A rain soaked highway is a condition I would not consider normal. ABS would be a definite asset.

Retrograding an off the shelf ABS system I think is something we will never see, the product liabilty and lwyers will see to it that you:ll never see this kind of product.

Ciso, Steve