shift spring (again)

kevdog3019

Solution: In case of breakage of the pawl spring A in vehicles with frame numbers before KT111435 - KS112350

My frame no. is KTC0033M111153

I'm guessing I have the wrong sized boss? Am I reading my numbers right?

It's an '03 with 26000 miles and no prob's.

I thought I was OK...now not sure.

Thanks

Solution: In case of breakage of the pawl spring A in vehicles with frame numbers before KT111435 - KS112350

My frame no. is KTC0033M111153

I'm guessing I have the wrong sized boss? Am I reading my numbers right?

It's an '03 with 26000 miles and no prob's.

I thought I was OK...now not sure.

Thanks

In this case, I don't think it's wise seek surety based on theory. Mandello seems renowned for mixing and matching lots of parts - no guarantee your XYZ-numbered bike doesn't have the "oversized boss" that has been associated with breaking springs. I think you're "probably OK" with a bona fide 2003, but the empirical route is safest here - get in and check if you want to know.

I just swapped out the spring on my 2003 badged wrinkle-painted 2002 (10,000mi). Turns out this bike has the smaller boss, and the spring looked fine, but I now I have that knowledge, and enjoyed learning a new aspect of the bike. If you don't want to do it yourself, Detroit Eurocycles should be able to do this in an hour or two if they have a spring on hand.

In this case, I don't think it's wise seek surety based on theory. Mandello seems renowned for mixing and matching lots of parts - no guarantee your XYZ-numbered bike doesn't have the "oversized boss" that has been associated with breaking springs. I think you're "probably OK" with a bona fide 2003, but the empirical route is safest here - get in and check if you want to know.

I just swapped out the spring on my 2003 badged wrinkle-painted 2002 (10,000mi). Turns out this bike has the smaller boss, and the spring looked fine, but I now I have that knowledge, and enjoyed learning a new aspect of the bike. If you don't want to do it yourself, Detroit Eurocycles should be able to do this in an hour or two if they have a spring on hand.

Thanks OBND,

I may just open her up and take a gander. The wife and I are going southward and would like peace-of-mind along our journey. We have a new Guzzi shop here in GR, but they haven't wrenched on Guzzi's yet, so I hope they come up to speed. I've heard Detroit Euro. are good, just a ways to go for me, and a sh*!!y drive to boot.

-Kev