OH MY GOD

DeBenGuzzi

anyone give me some help, appears I either didn't set my torq wrench properly, or just gave too hard of a twist, OR tightened the bolt down too hard the lest time but I have a valve cover bolt that was just about tight enough and then spin spin spin, back it out and the threads are on the bolt :homer: I have all the other bolts tight and I put some medium threadlock on there and put it back in the hole and gave it a turn, any decent fixes short of a new head?

its the bolt on the leftside of the bike furthest foward that holds the valve cover And the head guard.

I was retorqin the whole thing because a couple were loose and leaking oil all over the bike.

I'm thinking if I buy a slightly larger pitch bolt(dunno where) then I could regroove the hole when the engine is hot, let it cool then tighten it down. any ideas? I'm kinda freaked out right now for being so stupid :homer:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone give me some help, appears I either didn't set my torq wrench properly, or just gave too hard of a twist, OR tightened the bolt down too hard the lest time but I have a valve cover bolt that was just about tight enough and then spin spin spin, back it out and the threads are on the bolt :homer: I have all the other bolts tight and I put some medium threadlock on there and put it back in the hole and gave it a turn, any decent fixes short of a new head?

its the bolt on the leftside of the bike furthest foward that holds the valve cover And the head guard.

I was retorqin the whole thing because a couple were loose and leaking oil all over the bike.

I'm thinking if I buy a slightly larger pitch bolt(dunno where) then I could regroove the hole when the engine is hot, let it cool then tighten it down. any ideas? I'm kinda freaked out right now for being so stupid :homer:

Try a Heli-Coil insert. The coil is diamond shaped in cross-section, and is stronger than the original threads. The original hole is tapped (probably a special tap) with the same thread pitch but larger diameter.

Any decent automotive engine rebuilding firm should know all about it.

Guest ratchethack

Don't panic, DeBen.

This is wot Heli-Coils are for.

Any decent auto parts place can set you up.

With a Heli-Coil in there, it'll be better than new.

Have fun. :thumbsup:

Hey John -- you were 2 min. faster on the trigger than me. Oh well. I'll leave mine in, sometimes the more the merrier. :lol:

Since torqin with a torq wrench broke one m6 bolt, I never do m6 with it, just by hand. Inside the engine I use the torq wrench, all other things on feel.

you make a very good, should have, would have, will do in the future, point. Anything into alumbest to go by hand, it only takes a lil bit to go from just right tight to OH SHITE :homer:

:lol:

Well I'm off to a autoparts store to see if I can get a helicoil. maybe buy a few for that just incase future thread failures :notworthy:

Ben,

We've all been there. I use RECOIL thread repair kits, Australian made - they're not cheap but very good & come with all you need to make the repair inc tap. M6 is pt # 35060 - these are 1cm long coils & should do I think - they're pretty strong. Dunno availability in US.

Like Paul says, M6 bolts safest tightened using short handle allen key by feel. Long handled wrench makes it easy to put too much torque on. Maybe new gaskets?

KB

you make a very good, should have, would have, will do in the future, point. Anything into alumbest to go by hand, it only takes a lil bit to go from just right tight to OH SHITE :homer:

:lol:

Well I'm off to a autoparts store to see if I can get a helicoil. maybe buy a few for that just incase future thread failures :notworthy:

Ben,

As the others have said, Heli-coil is the way to go. It is quite easy and you'll get several in the kit for next time :whistle:

Tip: put some heavy grease around the hole to catch the shavings while readying the hole for the heli-coil. That'll keep them out of your engine.

Get a set of T-handle allen wrenches. You'll get those 6mm fasteners plenty tight and reduce the chance of stripping. :thumbsup:

Lots and lots of thread repair kits available but the 'Re-Coil', 'Heli-Coil' types are easy to find and come with full instructions. Just make sure that the kit you buy also contains the drill needed, some of them don't and it's a pain having to go back to the shops to buy the drill :grin: .

If you go to your local fastener shop, (Nuts and bolts and things!) they will almost certainly be able to supply you with what you require. If you really have trouble I'm sure one of the listees in your neck of the woods can give you a pointer.

If you *really* can't find something suitable? Give me a yell, I can buy a Re-Coil kit in town and post it to you.

There are very few fasteners I use a torque wrench on on a Guzzi. Rod bolts and head stud nuts are two that spring to mind. Pretty much everything else is done up by feel or woth a sodding great rattle gun :grin:

Pete

PS. If you want to avoid doing this sort of thing again buy yourself a set of 'T' bar allen wrenches and just do 6mm fasteners up 'Single Hand' tight, (Unless you have forearms like Popeye!). It's hard to strip 'em out with one hand. Use anti seize on the bolts too.

Ben,

We've all been there. I use RECOIL thread repair kits, Australian made - they're not cheap but very good & come with all you need to make the repair inc tap. M6 is pt # 35060 - these are 1cm long coils & should do I think - they're pretty strong. Dunno availability in US.

Like Paul says, M6 bolts safest tightened using short handle allen key by feel. Long handled wrench makes it easy to put too much torque on. Maybe new gaskets?

KB

I might need a new valve cover gasket but two of the bolts were loose, as in spin'em off with your fingers loose on the back side of the engine, I will look at a new gasket but I wonder how long till that arrives given guzzi parts? :huh2:

went to my local hardware and autoparts and nothing so this is the kit I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Helicoil-Sav-A-Thread-...1QQcmdZViewItem

looks like everything is there :huh2: well I already ordered it, only thing I found for M6 bolts, the Recoil kits are WAY more expensive but I assume comes with more stuff :huh2:

this thing will be handy to have around.

Try these:

http://www.realgaskets.com/files/motorcycle.htm#motoguzzi

I have used a set of these in the past for a very long time.

Surf around their website and you will see the list of aircraft engines that is their primary business.

Guzzi's fly, right??

I got a message back from the guy that runs it and he said if I send him a new oil pan gasket for my V11 that he would make a stamper for it and put a new listing in his catalog. It's on my list. But then, so is a Griso.

-Jack

Guest ratchethack

DeBen, You're right. M6x1 is wot you want.

The kit looks correct to me -- I've got a selection of 'em in metric sizes.

Yes, you will no doubt get some good use out of the kit.

Take your time, it's not difficult. Have fun. :luigi:

Guest mnv11

went to my local hardware and autoparts and nothing so this is the kit I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Helicoil-Sav-A-Thread-...1QQcmdZViewItem

looks like everything is there :huh2: well I already ordered it, only thing I found for M6 bolts, the Recoil kits are WAY more expensive but I assume comes with more stuff :huh2:

this thing will be handy to have around.

I can't beleive they wouldn't have the helicoil at the auto store...must've been a newbie working. Like everyone here already said though, these are a breeze to use. I have fairly limited mechanical skills, and I worked it out with no problems. Hope you can get her back together soon, the weather certainly has taken an up turn the past few days!

Thanks alot guys, The auto store only had them for spark plugs nothing smaller, I'll be getting a set of those gaskets and replace the right side if it continues to leak, also good to have a spare around I say. :bier:

I put the thread locker on the hole let it dry, packed out the bolt and put more thread locker on it and put it back it hand tight, I'll leave it like that and should be rideable with nothing intense in mind until I can get it fixed right and proper, I mean it was working fine with two all loose whats one glued in? :lol: ahhhh I feel another bodge coming my way. :grin:

btw the new tank doesn't hit the forks I am thinking my tank was warped and I the CF chin pad fits in and lines right up where it didn't before so that bodge is unbodged. I kinda go in phases of a bodge that'll do until I can get it unbodged and bodged up right and proper :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

I put the thread locker on the hole let it dry, packed out the bolt and put more thread locker on it and put it back it hand tight, I'll leave it like that and should be rideable with nothing intense in mind until I can get it fixed right and proper, I mean it was working fine with two all loose whats one glued in?

Say DeBen. Considering the above, did you also make sure to sacrifice a chicken, drink it's blood, smear some on y'erself, chant a few Voodoo chants, wave some magic beans around y'er head in a brown paper bag, and spit some rum on an open flame? :huh2:

Just checkin'. ;)

I understand that some cultures pay extra for larger animal sacrifices for the most reliable mechanical services, as well as for the best routine tune-ups at the local garage. :whistle:

Just kiddin' my friend. Some people spray WD-40 on cracked engine blocks with similar expectations. Don't try to glue a stripped bolt in with Loctite. Ride it and let it seep a little. (It'll do this with or without a rocker cover bolt with thoroughly rooted threads soaked in Loctite.) Riding it won't hurt a thing. Heli-coil it over the weekend. Make it a spiritual event, and marvel at the excellence thou hast wrought upon thy Guzzi. :thumbsup:

post-1212-1176776372_thumb.jpg