rotten throttle bodies

Guest Eric123

Guest Eric123

I just got the bike back from the shop, and they said the rubber boots on the throttle bodies were being to deteriorate. The bike sat for a while before I bought it (only has 5900 miles). I know rubber goes bad, but I declined the repair for now. Should I expect any problems before I get this fixed (will probably in a few months). I am gonna do it when I do the MPH riser kit (which they told me 4hrs of labor) Any thoughts?

Guest ratchethack

Good call on declining a fix for wot more'n likely ain't broke, Eric. :thumbsup: My Guzzi has a couple of years on yours and at 32K miles, I'm still running the originals, even though they've shown considerable surface cracking for years. When this started, I got a replacement set with the idea I'd swap them out as soon as I noticed leakage symptoms. Not a trace yet. NOTE: Oxidation from contaminants and and ozone will tend to shrink them as well, so the clamps need snugging up occasionally, but not too tight -- you don't want to distort them. :sun:

Under the heading of "it all depends"...the cracking may be purely cosmetic, but the cracks in mine would draw carb cleaner with the engine running---this at 4200 miles. If yours are drawing outside air, your bike won't run right. k

Under the heading of "it all depends"...the cracking may be purely cosmetic, but the cracks in mine would draw carb cleaner with the engine running---this at 4200 miles. If yours are drawing outside air, your bike won't run right. k

Another way to test them is to point an unlit propane torch at the boots when the bike is idling. If the idle climbs you have a leak.

Most of the time you were quoted for the riser kit install is probably for swapping out and bleeding the brake and clutch lines. If you have the time, tools, and a decent work space it's something that you could do yourself if you're a cheap b*stard like me :luigi::grin:

Guest Eric123

Right now, I don't have the tools or the space. When I looked at the clamps I noticed a rubber peeling around them, but the bike is running better than ever after the tune-up. Maybe when the weather here gets hot (sometimes I have running problems then). As far as the replacement aspect of the boots, I was told I would TPS sensor adjusted/flashed/reset. Hence dealer visit, but maybe I am getting the shaft.

Moto Guzzi seem unable to source decent rubber for any of their bikes. It is quite amazing that the Italians after years of using 2nd or 3rd grade rubber haven't been able or willing to use good quality. That said, it usually looks worse than it is.

I have just purchased a 25 year old Suzuki Katana 1100GSX with 6700km on the clock. The bike has been standing for 15 years. I cleaned the carbs ad fired her up right away. Still a bit of tuning needed, but runs sweet.

All rubbers are perfect with the exception of a cover for the exposed end of the clutch cable. Perfect as in as good as it was when it came out of the factory! My 1 year old Breva is not any better. My 6 year old Sport is far worse.

Moto Guzzi should hang their heads in shame. -_-

Guest ratchethack

Right now, I don't have the tools or the space. When I looked at the clamps I noticed a rubber peeling around them, but the bike is running better than ever after the tune-up. Maybe when the weather here gets hot (sometimes I have running problems then). As far as the replacement aspect of the boots, I was told I would TPS sensor adjusted/flashed/reset. Hence dealer visit, but maybe I am getting the shaft.

Eric, I wouldn't be too quick to conclude that the dealer's necessarily takin' you f'er a ride.

Coupla thoughts:

Intake boots fail for a variety of reasons. Any flexing of a weakened boot is a bit risky, including simple removal and re-installation. Many let go or get weakened much further when the TBs are removed for reasons other than replacement of the boots. Some eventually fail on the road, having been weakened from normal deterioration from ozone and oxidation over time. Others will fail with a backfire.

If the boots are in questionable condition, the dealer may have your best interest in mind by suggesting an advance replacement, which could save you from a possible stranding on the road.

I got a good look at the condition of mine 3 years ago from the inside out when I had the trans out, so I b'lieve I've got a pretty good read on 'em and I'm not concerned yet. As long as they ain't broke and they don't look like a breakdown waiting to happen, I'm likely to try to stretch the service life out a bit until I get symptoms of leakage, or until they begin to look much worse, but of course --

That's just me, and YMMV. :rolleyes:

Eric, I wouldn't be too quick to conclude that the dealer's necessarily takin' you f'er a ride.

Eric,

Ratchet is right. on both counts. From the dealer's perspective, let's say they notice a problem like this during the course of a tune up and don't alert you. Then not long after, the part fails and your bike starts running poorly. Now they have an angry customer since you just paid for a tune up and your bike is not right. Some people would say if it is questionable just change it. Others don't want to spend until it is absolutely necessary.

When there is a deteriorated part, it is a judgment call by the mechanic. Will it fail tomorrow? Not likely. Would I change them now? Not if they don't leak. Consider it a heads-up. When you start getting a lean backfire or a rocky idle, take a close look at those boots :thumbsup:

guido if you think Guzzi rubber is poor quality check out a Ural.....it deteriorates while you watch :(

The rubber battery trays for Seventies Tonti bikes will be with us when the last cockroach has turned toes up. I have one off a '75 that I use as a tool tray. I was at a well known Guzzi mech last week and he had one doing the same duty. 30 years + as well.

DW

• 3 weeks later...

The rubber battery trays for Seventies Tonti bikes will be with us when the last cockroach has turned toes up. I have one off a '75 that I use as a tool tray. I was at a well known Guzzi mech last week and he had one doing the same duty. 30 years + as well.

DW

Shame my V11 one wont last that long...corners splitting aready...

I gonna take good look at my intake rubbers in the morning cause as I mentioned earlier tonight the bikes idle is not as reliable as it was before I stripped her heads off and of course my inlet rubbers are cracked and now have been disturbed so may now be leaking..

They been perished/cracked pretty well since new but are getin worse.

I just got the bike back from the shop, and they said the rubber boots on the throttle bodies were being to deteriorate. The bike sat for a while before I bought it (only has 5900 miles). I know rubber goes bad, but I declined the repair for now. Should I expect any problems before I get this fixed (will probably in a few months). I am gonna do it when I do the MPH riser kit (which they told me 4hrs of labor) Any thoughts?

It doesn't matter for the rubber if the bike sat down for a while, as it matters the quality of them.

I had mine once changed and that workshop put in some made in china things or so , that totally fall appart after 3 months.

I have got after these some new from Agostini and they are the best so far. 1+1/2 years after and look like new ,with only some vaseline conditioning on them, from time to time.

Yes you can expect problems such as worse idle making bikes life difficult as well as a possible split & go of the rubber and if it is in the middle of nowhere that can be expencive.