Looks like Rossi did the warm up. Slowest rider, but he was out there. That's another one to watch. If Pedrosa (-24) wins the race, Rossi needs 2 points to hang onto 2nd over all. 14th gets him those 2 points. He's gridded 17th. Valencia has a lot of sub plots going. Good stuff.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was a pretty good race, too bad rossi couldn't finish. Pedrosa ended up 2nd overall and looking real strong for next season.

Anyone know anything about the Hopkins move to Kawasaki? Seems like its a lateral move if not a downgrade in terms of bike performance. Maybe a money move? Would have like to seen him go to a more competitive team like Honda or Yamaha if not Ducati.

Anyone know anything about the Hopkins move to Kawasaki? Seems like its a lateral move if not a downgrade in terms of bike performance. Maybe a money move?
Only what I've read. Certainly a money move. However, Jeremy Burgess (Rossi's crew chief) is quoted as saying the Kaw was the 2nd best bike on the grid last part of the year. Have no idea if that's true.
For me Hopkins is the most overrated man on the grid,

1 podium in 5 years and never even able to outrun his teammates over a whole season

despite them being a over-the-hill-tired-guy and a rookie.

He will have a hard time beating West next year.

Still? Not arguing, as only the track can answer this one definitively. Just wondering if you've reassesed at all. As you know, I'm a big Hopkins fan - but even at that I have some reservations about him. Next year is make or beak IMHO. Hope that Kaw is fast.
Still? Not arguing, as only the track can answer this one definitively. Just wondering if you've reassesed at all. As you know, I'm a big Hopkins fan - but even at that I have some reservations about him. Next year is make or beak IMHO. Hope that Kaw is fast.

Hopper beat his team mate in the championship and finished only one place behind Rossi. He was also well ahead of the 2006 World Champion in the standings.

I agree that if he wants to be champion he needs to step it up a bit but he is not overrated.

Guy

New tire rule.

http://tinyurl.com/2epy6p

I wonder if Rossi is a little star crossed these days? Where before every decision he made seemed to turn out roses, he now seems a little frantic as things increasingly go against him. Now that he's on Bridgestone's, will the extra tires and testing make Michelin the "hot tire" net year?

Star crossed or not,, watching Rossi race yesterday was inspiring. What a warrior. Truly sad after that huge effort and all the pain he must have endured, the stupid bike failed him ... again. I'll bet there was hell to pay in his pit.

I wonder if Rossi is a little star crossed these days?

imho, he's running amok.

He had a terrible year, both on and off the track (60 million

... watching Rossi race yesterday was inspiring. What a warrior. Truly sad after that huge effort and all the pain he must have endured, the stupid bike failed him ... again. I'll bet there was hell to pay in his pit.
Ran across this:

Rossi's troubled season ended in turmoil with angry words between the star Italian and Yamaha's Japanese management. Starting 17th on the grid,Rossi needed a painkilling injection before the race because of three fractured bones in his right hand, injured when he crashed in qualifying.

Rossi retired when 14th on lap 20, claiming his Yamaha motor locked up and slowed, sparking a robust exchange with Yamaha bosses, who later indicated they could find no obvious engine problem.

"Today is a big, big delusion, and I am very, very sad, because I don't expect this problem after all my effort with my hand. I tried but I don't give up," Rossi said. "Something went wrong with my bike; it was very slow."

http://tinyurl.com/3av3qw

So did he quit, or did his bike quit? I'd bet the latter. I hope the latter, because if he quit (and there's no shame in that, pain killers wears off and you just can't go on) - and he blames the bike - that's the shame of it. Remember Duhamel at Laguna Seca? He said "my head's just not in it" when in fact Honda gave him a piece of shit to ride. Still, he never slammed Honda, and took the blame unto himself. Duhamel's a stud and a class act ... always has been.

Maybe I expect too much from Rossi - but I don't think I've ever seen a more dominating champion as he was for those 5 years. I want him to come back strong. We're short of heroes ... and he was the genuine article for a long time. Probably the best ever. Moto GP needs him back scrapping for top of the box. JMHO of course.

Maybe I expect too much from Rossi - but I don't think I've ever seen a more dominating champion as he was for those 5 years. I want him to come back strong. We're short of heroes ... and he was the genuine article for a long time. Probably the best ever. Moto GP needs him back scrapping for top of the box. JMHO of course.

Well, he's a real character and obviously a star and everyone misses his antics. He's clever and fun and rides probably better than all. But his ego is in the way sometimes. This said, you need that when you're riding at that level of competition.