Power Commander III

WitchCityBallabio

I have decided that I'm going to add a pair of Mistral exhausts to the Billybob, and thought I would look at the Power Commander site as well.

Under Moto Guzzi, they list V11 Sport, but only 2000-2001 years.

Will that PCIII work on an 04 Ballabio?

Another quick question. Does anyone have experience with a carbon fiber can? Does the finish hold up, or does it go to hell quickly. I think the black carbon would look nicer on a red Ballabio, but I don't want to have to refinish or replace them every two years. If you had a choice between the carbon cover or the titanium covers, which would YOU choose.

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Guest ratchethack

I have decided that I'm going to add a pair of Mistral exhausts to the Billybob, and thought I would look at the Power Commander site as well.

Under Moto Guzzi, they list V11 Sport, but only 2000-2001 years.

Will that PCIII work on an 04 Ballabio?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

Yes. DynoJet's needed to update their site for going on 6 years now. <_< I have a friend with '04 LM fitted with a PC III. For a source for your PC III, covering all your questions and tech expertise (in spades, if I may say so), contact Todd Eagan at GuzziTech. He's a Rep for DynoJet. He will help you in ways that no one else will, and he's a great guy. Todd's knowledge base on PC III for Guzzi's is probably about the most extensive on the planet, and that includes anyone at DynoJet:

http://www.guzzitech.com/PCIII.html

With carbon fibre cans it really depends on how well they are manufactured. Its usally the UV light that gets to them first. A cheap can where I life will start to look shabby after a couple of years (some 18months) a high end one such as the termis on my bike are 9 years and counting.

If you fit the slipons you don't need the PCIII. Only if you also modify the X-over and/or intake.

It'll run fine without PCIII.

(Sorry Todd...)

I have a PC III on a totally stock bike. My impression is that the throttle is smoother throughout the rev range and the bike runs cooler, especially on hot days in traffic. As a commuter this is important to me. Stock it was fine, PC III was a noticeable improvement and well worth the money. I purchased from Todd as well.

DW

I've put a PCIII on my 02 Scura, and it works fine. Got mine from Todd Egan as well, even though I'm in UK - highly recommended. As regards whether you need one or not, I put carbon Mistral slip ons (round) on my bike, with no other mods, and as a result it ran decidely worse than with the standard cans (rough running and loss of torque at low revs). That's why I bought the PCIII, and it did cure this problem. So I would say the PCIII is needed if you are going for slip-ons, even with the standard crossover. Which makes the slip-ons an expensive purchase! They sound great though. No problems so far from UV - but then I do live in Yorkshire, which is not exactly renowned for its hot sun.

:( dey goin again da boss dey ar gov :ninja:

ARRRRRRGGGG!

Doesn't matter who you are, your qualifications or experience. SOMEONE will have a different opinion, theory or experience of why the statement you made just isn't right. (Just ask dlaing and ratch!) :bier:

In most cases both parties are correct.................... considering their own set of circumstances. Every bike (or whatever the subject) exists within its own unique micro cosmos and whatever works for one may not work for the next.

The trick is sorting through the collective wisdom and choosing the approach that seems the most reasonable to you. :oldgit:

Nothing to lose in trying the cans first. Who knows? If you don't need to spend the money on a PCIII there will be plenty of other holes to throw it into! :P

Guest ratchethack

Every bike (or whatever the subject) exists within its own unique micro cosmos and whatever works for one may not work for the next.

The trick is sorting through the collective wisdom and choosing the approach that seems the most reasonable to you. :oldgit:

True enough. IMHO this is a typical consumer dilemma of the free market economy, which results in a typical brouhaha of ego and justification behavior. :o

Thankfully, we have a variety of "solutions" from which to choose in many many areas on our Guzzi's. In my opinion, properly applied , more often than not, NONE of 'em are "WRONG". Wot I find so utterly amusing is the behavior of those who will make poorly informed or downright uninformed commitments to sometimes IMPROPERLY APPLIED solutions, and then try to justify their behavior by claiming that ALL other choices are WRONG, despite all facts, all reason, and all logic, which may've led others to alternative choices and commitments. :lol::huh2:

IMHO, increasingly it seems, collective foolishness (consensus) is all too often mistaken for collective wisdom. <_<

It's that pesky human nature again, which I find so amazing and occasionally fascinating.

It's every bit of HALF the reason I hang out here. ;):whistle:

True enough. IMHO this is a typical consumer dilemma of the free market economy, which results in a typical brouhaha of ego and justification behavior. :o

Thankfully, we have a variety of "solutions" from which to choose in many many areas on our Guzzi's. In my opinion, properly applied , more often than not, NONE of 'em are "WRONG". Wot I find so utterly amusing is the behavior of those who will make poorly informed or downright uninformed commitments to sometimes IMPROPERLY APPLIED solutions, and then try to justify their behavior by claiming that ALL other choices are WRONG, despite all facts, all reason, and all logic, which may've led others to alternative choices and commitments. :lol::huh2:

It's that pesky human nature again, which I find so amazing and occasionally fascinating.

It's every bit of HALF the reason I hang out here. ;):whistle:

Never imagined that a carbon muffler will...create such a philosophical mood>

I say The rule is ...pay and try :2c: ...If you do it, :grin: .... share with the rest, ...because no one can afford

...too much trials!!!!!! :(

I have a PC III on a totally stock bike. My impression is that the throttle is smoother throughout the rev range and the bike runs cooler, especially on hot days in traffic. As a commuter this is important to me. Stock it was fine, PC III was a noticeable improvement and well worth the money. I purchased from Todd as well.

DW

I'm in the same boat. I commute daily into downtown Boston. Traffic sucks in the afternoon, and the bike definitely gets hot sitting. It also seems to make the bike "stumble" a bit after sitting in it a while. If the PCIII cured this alone it would be worth the investment.

I haven't decided on a cross over yet. That will depend on the loudness of the Mistrals alone.

Murray:

With carbon fibre cans it really depends on how well they are manufactured. Its usally the UV light that gets to them first. A cheap can where I life will start to look shabby after a couple of years (some 18months) a high end one such as the termis on my bike are 9 years and counting.

Recently I saw a Ducati with a carbon front fender and it looked just awful. The sun had pretty much destroyed it. My Ballabio commutes daily and goes from a cover and/or garage to a garage where I work, so it really won't be exposed to the elements other than general riding. I wonder if between that and waxing if it will keep them in good shape for a while. Perhaps the titanium just makes more sense. Then I won't have to worry about it at all. :D

Thanks for the opinions all.

Doug

I've got an 02 Lemans with Mistral slip ons, FBF X-over and modded airbox, the addition of a "dynolinked" PCIII made the single biggest improvement in my bike, the map is customized for all the varialbles in my bike. A PCIII is a nice thing, and downloaded maps may get you close, but there is so much variation in guzzi's and their accessories that for true perfection, dynolinking your PCIII is a non-negotiable for me, I've done in on all my bikes but the Griso, and as soon as Todd gets them to make a Griso PCIII I'll do it for it as well. My guzzi's all run absolutely perfect in all aspects after this treatment, it is the way to go.