Suggestions Please

Tracey

I know its not V11 related but I also know the knowelege is out their...

Gussesti's help me!

I have been working on a "76" Convert for my wifes first ride. She has never done well with a clutch so a Convert looked pretty good. The bike was a real project @ $500 purchase price. During initial wrenching i learned that the transmition and clutch were toast, but the motor looked pretty good. Many months and lots of dollars later the first ride happened. Transmition and clutch worked well, motor strong untill....

It just died.. like a sudden fuel loss and spun down to a stop. I messed with the fuel lines a few seconds and it re-started. After some messing around the bike ran untill i got it home. Adjusted the carbs and stopped a few fuel leaks and all was well. Several short rides with out problems.

Yesterday I rode it about 50 miles with lots of smiles. Stopped at home to tighten a few fastners and left home again. About 5 miles into the ride it died again, just stopped running and spun down to a stop again. After squeezing the fuel lines it would run for a few seconds then die again. Repeated 3 or 4 times and then it was problem free again.

I don't think its fuel related but messing with the lines did something. I don't think its fuel related because both cylinders died at the same instant. The bike was equiped with points but was up-graded to the Dyna electric ignition. Carb re-build kits, new plugs, replaced starter relay, re-conditioned starter, new battery, several bad connections in the electrical system that were corrected, new fuses. Many new parts not related to electrical or fuel systems.

Could weak coils or a bad rectifier board be a cause? Maybe I should also replace the ignition cabels and ends. They tested OK and looked good....

Any guesses would help me think it through. She is ready to get her permit but the bike is not ready for her..

:mg:

congratulations on an awesome bike !!!

I have a 76 Convert also. It's a little challenging to ride quickly, as theres no engine braking but it is what it is :)

tremendous fun !!

quick question for you.... my 76 Convert came with two seperate fuel taps, that were isolated one for each cylinder. I just recently put on the crossover (for which Rich R - previous owner gave me hell) but leave both taps on all the time anyway.

Which fuel line do you have ?

Hi Tracy,

it could be that the petrol tank breathing hole in the filler cap is blocked. Flip the cap open and you should see asmall breather hole which vents to the outside. Clear it with a bit of wire and it may solve your problem . I would also check the petrol tap and carb filters for crud at the same time if you havn't allready cleaned them.

I'd also look at the filler cap. Maybe take a ride with the cap loose and see if it dies.

If you are looking for an electrical suggestion, I have three-

1) the connectors into the headlamp bucket are awful, and if they get loose or corroded then it will kill the bike.

2) there is a (10 gauge?) red wire running up into the rectifier board that if it comes loose, then the bike will die- this particular wire coming off it's connector is how my G5 usually dies :D It's to the front of the board in a vertical orientation.... but the lights and everything go out when it comes loose.

3) I've had the connectors come off dyna coils. Not the plug wires but the low voltage connections. Unless you have one coil, it doesn't sound like this is your problem.

Doesn't sound like fuel to me. Do you have a strobe? if so stick that on it when it dies and see if it's sparking.

The coils on a 'Vert live up under the tank, the connections are otoriously dodgy and it's easy to pull the points wires or, in this case more likely, the main feed wire off the coil so it only makes intermittent contact.

Check that snd see if it is loose or wonky. It's highly unlikely for both coils to go bung at the same time so if it's loosing both cylinders it's most likely electrical. Other likely places to look are the kill switch, the ignition switch and the main earth strap which goes to the frame where the battery plate mounts on the LH side.

For 'Vert discussion and help there is a Yahoo group dedicated to thee wonderful bikes. Everyone who contributes is, needless to say, mad as a balloon :grin:

MGconvert@yahoogroups.com

Pete

I knew this group would help me...

Truley a bunch of Guzzie nuts, no matter the style of bike. :mg:

Several good suggestions and I will check them all. Many have already been checked. The 10 gage wire to the rectifier was trashed but I found that before the rides. It looked as if melted before I replaced it.

The fuel lines are as factory installed. Cross connect in place and both fuel stops functioning with out leaks.

Could be the fuel tank vent, that one is easy to fix, should have thought of it myself. Very likely the electrical problems mentioned. The bike was owned by an electrician, had many electrical problems as a result of what he thought he could get away with. I will check one at a time untill the problem is solved.

The bike is a totally different ride than my LeMans but is great fun. Riding around town is effortless and the bike draws a lot of attention. Mostly from people that have no idea what a Convert is!

I am suprised by how well the old Tonti frame handels on twisty roads. The motor normally runs strong and smooth and has no trouble pulling away from a stop light. She is going to love this bike when she gets past that first bit of new rider fear.

I will be checking in with the discussion group mentioned, hope they are as good as this group!

Thanks again!

:bike:

• 1 month later...

Just an up-date...

The old Convert rides again... :bike:

JRT and Mr. Roper set me on the right path...

The problem turns out to be the low voltage lines from the Dyna box to the distrubutor. Bad splice, wonder what that old electrician that had it before had against solder???

I've put about 500 miles on the clock and my Wonderfull (3 bikes now) wife has had her first riding lesson in a big empty parking lot. The learner permit and open road is not far away now....

Thanks for the advise, it really helped me think it through..

Some free advise:

(Just for laughs)

It's easy-er to teach a person that has not seen you naked!

:mg:

Right on! You owe us a beer next time we're in Ohio. Or, I'll buy you one if you come to St. Louis and collect.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you are looking for a transmission rebuild, I think J.B. Schwartz in CA still does them. If he goes through anything on your bike, it will be done correctly.