TECHNICAL

Guest dave uk

Guest dave uk

i have a 2000 v11 5000miles up and its pinging in the warm weather, any cures that work other than buying higher octane fuel ( 98 ron ). plugs and filters have all been changed, but how do you balance the inlets

You need to get some gauges or mercury sticks.

I did it for the first time last weekend. Dead easy.

You open the throttle slightly ( ~2000RPM ) and adjust the nylon adjuster between the two throttles, near the left throttle body on my sport 1100.

Also as you relax the throtttle to idle they will unbalance as they rest against their stops unevenly. You should also balance the idle stops.

Guest Jeff Kelland

My 02 LeMans pinged terribly when warm at fairly moderate throttle openings and loads. Unable to tune this out I tried a power commander. As installed (bike is otherwise stock) there was a considerable improvement but the pinging was not completely removed. After richening it up with the adjustments on the PC, It seems to be completely gone. I was a bit concerned that fuel mileage might suffer but it seems to have gained about 1.5 mpg. This is probably the result of needing less throttle angle to achieve the same power. This was my worst complaint with the MG, so I consider the $300. well spent. :D

My pinging resolved after adjusting the TPS providing a richer mixture through the range. I have also noticed the surprise of richening not lowering fuel economy.

Careful inlet balancing also makes these motors very happy indeed.

As delivered my sport's pipes were blue and one side much more than the other. Now , with good mixture, they are evenly bronze. :luigi::luigi::luigi:

...or a TwinMax. Super easy to use, and not that prohibitively expensive.

[knocking on wood] ... my bike used to ping under hard acceleration on hot days as well, but it seems to have disappeared after my head-work, and the PCIII.

Since I changed too many variables at once, I unfortunately don't know where to attribute the reduction, but it has gotten better.

al

Guest mcloutier

PC3 cured it for me. Bike used to ping on hot days when giving it throttle in the 5-6K range. Hasn't happened since.

Al,

Where can I get a Twin-Max? I looked back for that thread but to no avail. I tried ordering one from Chapparal but they sent me Hg sticks instead.