Anodizing vs Powder Coating

joe camarda

I was lucky 'nuff to stumble upon a set of frame side plates from a Sport for a nice price and intend to mount them onto my V11 Sport if the swap out isnt too expensive.

At this point I'm presuming two things, (1) that they'll fit, and (2) that they can be anodized...Which brings me to the point: Is there an advantage to either process?

I've no experience with anodizing, but it doesnt seem as if it would be durable as the powder coating. :mg:

Which sport did you get them off? If it was a carbed version espeacailly if its been down the road do not fit them turn them into door stops paper wieghts or book end but whatever you do don't use them on your bike. They are prone to getting miro fractures in them and will suddenly let go without warning. Whats wrong with yours? Powder coating is genrally considered the route of all evil it will cover and cracks and corrsoion should they form under the coating. Anodising is widely used in the aircraft industry and is will probally last longer than you keep the bike. It also doesn't cover up craks and corrsion or the like. What about painting them simple low tech solution but there is worse ideas around.

I'm very interested in this as well, as one day I might powder-coat/anodize various bits of frame, valve-covers, "pork chops"[side covers].... during Winter months as my fashion-sense wanders.... :rolleyes:

Yep, anodizing or powder coating... which is best...

I saw an AWESOME red powder coat they applied to a frame on "American Chopper" .... it would be a great red for the V11 Sport/LeMans bits.

al

The side frames Joe got are from a Sport 1100i. Same part number as those of the V11 Sports. I checked. I even called the guy who had them and told him to hold them for a buddy of mine (Joe) but Joe's eyesight is real good and he had them scarfed even before I could tell him about them the following day.

What about painting them simple low tech solution but there is worse ideas around.

I found a great color match for the painted side plates. Really just needed a touch up ( don't ask) ajnd spent three days looking at finger nail polish (don't ask) with no luck .

Best match: Testor's (the model company) Italian Red spray paint. It's a good quality enamel and applies very evenly. It can be sprayed onto a card for a little brush work ( chips, nicks) if need be.