Exploding Tranny? (HUGE rant)

Guest John T

There was something I should have mentioned , having a good dealer who stands by by the marque

I couldn't agree more. Whilst it can be tough to work through some of the issues (I have had my share on my Y2K V11S) support from my dealer was excellent.

Also, having sorted the majority of the issues, the bike now seems much happier out of warranty (....how do they know?) I'm still a believer. This is a great bike.

As far as the synthetic tranny fluid goes - this made a huge difference to shift quality - but I did hear (from my dealer actually) that there were some reports of leakage problems if moly was added (?)

Gio

I though I had read on this site about the synthetic causing the plastic cages on the trans-bearings to fail. :doh: Anyone recall where? :huh2:

Well I just did a search here and didn't find it. Maybe someone recalls seeing elsewhere in the great digital expanse....

I though I had read on this site about the synthetic causing the plastic cages on the trans-bearings to fail. :doh: Anyone recall where? :huh2:

Well I just did a search here and didn't find it. Maybe someone recalls seeing elsewhere in the great digital expanse....

That would be really funny since the factory fills the tranny with synthetic and the recommended oil quoted in an owner's manual is synthetic too.

In my area here in the midwest there have been several bearing failure events with the older five seed transmissions in the last year. In these cases it has been said that this may have been caused by the use of synthetic oil in units that were equipped with phenolic(sp?)bearing cages. These trannys did not come with synthetic oil and it was not recomended by the factory for use in them. This may or may not be the case but there have been at leat five failures that I know of and all were using synthetic oil. On the other hand there are several older bikes that have been using synthetic with out problem for many miles. As I understand it the new six speeds come with synthetic and it is recommended by the factory for these newer units. I think with the new trannys I would go either way and not worry about it. With the older units there may be a problem as one does not know for sure what type of bearing was used in the box. In Guzzis case it would not supprise me if some were plastic and some were not. For now this is how I see it. I got the information on the tranny failures form the guy who rebuilt all five of the ones that I mentioned. He feels that the synthetic was the cause as all of the bearings in these boxes had failed yet there was no other dammage to the rest of the componets in the unit. So far my 01 V11S tranny is doing fine at 9k and counting.

Ray

I ran synthetic gear lube with moly added in all my old 5 and even a 4 speed Guzzi's. It made them shift smoother and never caused any troubles.

Perhaps it was just these old gear boxes time to break?