Theft damage

Guest Eric123

Guest Eric123

Someone tried to steal my bike last night, they were not successful :angry: but what I am left with is some repairs. I noticed that the throttle sticks open (e.g. won't snap back) and that the RH bar assembly is bent. My question, is that causing the throttle from returning? I am not sure if the throttle assembly itself was damaged when they tipped the bike. It seems to be bent right where the handgrip is connected to the bar. And if so (MPH has quoted me 220.00 from Italy--how hard is it to replace? Do I need to torque bolts, etc.?

Guest ratchethack

Eric, I'm truly sorry to hear about this. May the filthy Philistine who perpetrated this find the reward for his behavior over many many years in the most vile, dark, and unsupervised confines of a Federal Penitentiary. :angry:

Sounds to me like the twist grip is hanging up due to bending of the bar. An easy way to check would be to dismantle it and check the cable return apart from the twist grip.

Nothing in this area is practical to use a torque wrench on. NOTE: Be VERY careful about the "wrist power" torque you apply to the two 5 mm socket-head bolts that clamp the actual bar into the clip-ons. On my bike, which has somewhat different clip-ons than yours, it's EASIER THAN YOU THINK to strip out the shorter, inboard bolt threads in the clip-on that clamp the bar. Please don't ask how I know this. . . :blush:

Hope this helps.

Good luck. :luigi:

Eric,

I am just tossing this out--

make sure the grip is not interfering with the throttle action.

Seen it happen in a fall over/molestation.

Also, take cable loose at throttle, to help decide if your problem is in the bar angle, and not

cables or something else.

check the bar end weight. that happed to me twice now. once in my gerage, another time coming out of a corner WOT with another corner right in front of me. My real bet though is the bent bar. If that's it, let me know, I got one kicking around here that I don't need. I'll ship it over to you know cost.

Ciao

Z

Someone tried to steal my bike last night, they were not successful :angry: but what I am left with is some repairs. I noticed that the throttle sticks open (e.g. won't snap back) and that the RH bar assembly is bent. My question, is that causing the throttle from returning? I am not sure if the throttle assembly itself was damaged when they tipped the bike. It seems to be bent right where the handgrip is connected to the bar. And if so (MPH has quoted me 220.00 from Italy--how hard is it to replace? Do I need to torque bolts, etc.?

May the thief burn in hell, but regarding that ..... Guzzi"s are not high in the list of ...thiefs...I approve of his good taste....!!!!!! Hope the damage is only at the bar end (they probably tried to break the steering lock by kicking the bar)

Anyway be happy, the bike is still there :)

Guest Eric123

check the bar end weight. that happed to me twice now. once in my gerage, another time coming out of a corner WOT with another corner right in front of me. My real bet though is the bent bar. If that's it, let me know, I got one kicking around here that I don't need. I'll ship it over to you know cost.

Ciao

Z

That would ge great! I just sent you an email about it with my mailing address.

Thanks,

E

Ciao

Z

This is what I love about the Guzzi community! :drink: