Strarting issues

waspp

Ok, I was setting my TPS and balancing the throttle bodies today and after getting all set up the bike wouldn't start. This really isn't new, I have had some issues with starting and attributed the problem to a damaged and then repaired kill start switch. Usually a wiggle or push of the on off switch results in the RC firing away, this time none of the usual tricks seemed to work. I removed the tank and tested the start button function at the nearest connector and all seemed well. For some reason through this process it began to work once again....on goes the tank, fuel lines hooked up ready to resume the balancing process. Won't start! Nothing! fuel pump runs relays seem to click but no starter engagement. Anyway to get to my question, could this be a starter relay problem? Has anyone found a similar intermittent starting problem which was solved through relay replacement. My bike is an 03 RC which has siemens relays.

Thanks guys.

This does have the sound of the clutch switch ( safety ignition switch). It is located at the clutch lever and will not allow starter engagement without the clutch lever squeezed. The likely culprit is actually two bullet connectors under the left side of the tank near the steering head. They could always use a good clean, lube, crimp.

Some have found that rotating the steering fully side to side could trigger some connection.

Certainly upgrading to the best available relays is good medicine. Try tapping on/wiggling the center relay for any effect. Also swapping the relays around is worth a try.

Keep us posted.