Greasing the Shaft

BrianG

I have recently greased the splines on the driveshaft of my 2000 v-11 Sport. The problem comes in the re-assembly. It seems that there is no vent in the shaft to allow the air out as one shaft slips into the other.

I cleaned out the interior of the forward (female) shaft to be certain that I wasn't getting a hydraulic lock on compressing the shafts. But still, on reassembly of the rear suspension, there is a preload on the torque strut caused by the compressed air in the drive shaft.

Is this normal?

Have I missed something?

Is something plugged that should be letting the air out?

Wil this right itself with some riding?

Guest ratchethack

Not to worry, Brian. Yes it's normal, you haven't missed anything, nothing is plugged, and yes, by my experience air pressure behind the o-ring seal will work its way out with some riding. :sun:

I have recently greased the splines on the driveshaft of my 2000 v-11 Sport. The problem comes in the re-assembly. It seems that there is no vent in the shaft to allow the air out as one shaft slips into the other.

I cleaned out the interior of the forward (female) shaft to be certain that I wasn't getting a hydraulic lock on compressing the shafts. But still, on reassembly of the rear suspension, there is a preload on the torque strut caused by the compressed air in the drive shaft.

Is this normal?

Have I missed something?

Is something plugged that should be letting the air out?

Wil this right itself with some riding?

The grease fitting has a one way valve.

To ease re-assembly, poke the valve with something blunt but pointy and the air (and grease) can escape.

What effect this has on riding, I don't know. Air suspension???