Reverse Coned Rosso!

Mike Stewart

Well, I needed some new tunes for the 03 Rosso but didn't know which way to go. I have carbon oval Mistrals on my 00 V11 Sport and they do sound great. I wanted to go with the reverse cone muffler but no one made them to fit the Guzzi. Most reverse cone mufflers are made for the older bikes and only come in 1.5 and 1.75 inlet openings. I ended up buying a used set of D&D reverse cone mufflers made to fit a Ducati Monster. Some cutting and welding and this is what the mufflers look like so far. Now I just need to get the new USB PCIII mapped for the exhaust upgrade. :thumbsup:

Mike

Figures the Texans would like the D and D mufflers :lol:

I like the two tone color scheme.

So Mike, tell us more. How loud are they? Are you going with the Stucchi crossover?

Have you burnt your leg on the pipe yet? :P

Looks great Mike!

BTW, my bike is still running "like a top" after our valve adjust. I need to check the right valve-cover gasket as I seem to have a small weep, but everything else it great.

We need to get the word out to the shops that adjusting the valves to looser Euro Specs is *the fix* for the hot-idle-stumble/die.

It's still coughed/missed two or three times in just the right scenario, but it's been rare. I rode the bike to work today in 100-degree stop&go traffic, as well as some relatively fast runs... and not a single miss, and that's usually the type of riding that will bring it out :thumbsup:

My USB PCIII is on the way too. As soon as I get all my kit together for the dual-plugs and final phase of the fuel-pump relocation, I'll be heading back down to Hare for a final mapping.

...so I guess there'll be a used PCIII on eBay for a V11 Guzzi pretty soon ^_^

al

Awesome!! I'm looking too do almost the exact same thing for the exhaust on my silver v11 sport, but I was wanting to do a brushed aluminum reverse cone. Great job!!! Can you describe the sound for us?

I like what you did with the cones (so, not for icecream only... :) ) but I would have pointed them a little bit higher, designwise. :thumbsup:

My USB PCIII is on the way too. As soon as I get all my kit together for the dual-plugs and final phase of the fuel-pump relocation, I'll be heading back down to Hare for a final mapping.

I guess we have to call you "TinkerAl" from now on ^_^

My USB PCIII is on the way too.  As soon as I get all my kit together for the dual-plugs and final phase of the fuel-pump relocation, I'll be heading back down to Hare for a final mapping. 

I guess we have to call you "TinkerAl" from now on ^_^

Cool, can you change my tag-line from "Forum flooder :)" to "TinkerAl" ? :lol:

I tried to get you to make it "Postus Prolificus"[Thanks Carl :P ] but I guess you never got around to it :rolleyes:

But yeah, after the dual-plug and fuel-pump relo, I think any major tinkering will be done until Winter. I think when the cases get split for the paint issue, I'll have them add a few things, but nothing major.

The really only major final tweak will be suspension, and I'm not sure when $$ will allow that. ...still waiting on Mike's suspension review to help drive priorities there as well ^_^

Honestly, I'm thinking that after the Winter, there really won't be much left to do... and I think it will be relatively static after the things listed above.

...now if I can juuuuuuuuust get 90hp at the rear-wheel... I'll be satisfied :bike:

That's the target I've set, for no good reason BTW. I don't think I'll be putting in higher-comp pistons nor bigger valves though(since I just got head work done), so maybe it isn't quite possible. Who knows though, we'll see :huh2:

I'd actually like to stop major tinkering eventually :lol:

al

but I would have pointed them a little bit higher, designwise. :thumbsup:

Ahh, the reason for mounting the pipes lower was so I could lower the rear foot pegs location thus giving my wife a little more leg room. I will be installing the Hepco-Becker rack and bags and will be doing a modification to the rack to move the bags forward as well as lower. The ultimate touring machine is taking shape!

David, the pipe runs in the same location as the stock pipe. I have burned my leg on the stock pipe when I was in shorts one day (Ouch). I don't think it will be an issue though.

The reverse cone mufflers do sound different. I am not sure if it is from the reverse cone mufflers or the forward crossover that makes this bike sound so different than my 00 Sport with Mistrals. The bike is running way lean at the moment, so I really need to get the right map for the PCIII before I can tell how the exhaust note is. Hare Racing here I come.

Anyway, the exhaust sound reminds me of the older Leman's/V7 from the 70's.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I took a slightly different approach to the 'gotta make it comfortable for the wife' situation. You lowered the river, I raised the bridge. I make some step up blocks for the rear of the subframe. Effectively raising the entire subframe pivoting it on the mount at the back of the tank.

I then made some hanger spacers and spaced down the entire stock muffler peg mount bracket.

My (stock) mufflers are the same height so I don't have to worry about clearance problems though I see you don't have to worry either.

The good things are this setup are she gets a lot more legroom, I get about an inch more as well. The bad things are I might have to have the seat reshaped slightly as there's now a slight slope for the driver towards the tank and I can't fit the side panels on because the were made to match to fit too closely. So far I like it better than the stock setup.

johnk