Going to Italy!!!

Guest dkgross

Has anyone here actually rode a motorcycle in Rome?

From my experience, driving habits are the same all over the Italian peninsula & southern Europe. Every Fiat Punto is driven by a Mario Andretti wannabe :) To allow yourself to be passed or to not drive at fastest speed possible would somehow imply a deficit of virility and/or manhood. The latin macho male mentality rules the day. I really enjoyed it & within half a day, I was riding just like a local.

La dolce vita :lol:

Guest dkgross

We've got most of our plans made...Fly directly to Venice for a few days...train from there to Mandello region. A few days there, then off to Milan for two days and the Motorcycle Show!!

Rent a car on the outskirts of Milan and head toward the Tuscany region for 3 days, then two days spend in Florence and dump the car. Then off to Rome for a week of being silly Touristi Americani!!!!

So, we won't be driving much in the big citys, but will have a wonderful jaunt on the Autostrada. Meeting up with the Volpi folks for a long lunch in Modena! We'll have to come back in '04 to do the motorcycle tour with them. Guisy's a hoot.

• 1 month later...

well..we leave tomorrow!!! I'll do my best to find an internet cafe here and there and check in. Otherwise...pictures on a webpage will be posted on our return on the 30th.

ciao!

:helmet:

well..we leave tomorrow!!!  I'll do my best to find an internet cafe here and there and check in.  Otherwise...pictures on a webpage will be posted on our return on the 30th.

ciao!

:helmet:

Buon Viaggio!

Joe Martin and I (and wives) are planning a motorcycle tour there next year. As much fun as is the planning, I am already giddy about the actual trip. Have lived there and been back a number of times. I love the US, and am an unabashed American, but I am also a Europhile. And there is nothing like Italy. Sounds as if you feel similarly. Savor every moment, and keep us posted during and after, especially on the moto scene.

One last point. Was last there in Spring '02. I am always surprised at the few Guzzis I see. Even the Carabinieri now ride BMW. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao tutti!!!!

We're into our second week in italy! The Milan show was amazig. The 1100 Breva is stunning!!!! Guzzi gets the prize for the Best Booth Babe. Lots of photos to come when return at the end of the month!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dkgross

THe Rock...A very good friend of mine is a Seattle Police Officer. He was venturing out on a 5 week motorcycle trip about the same time we were heading to Italy, so we decided to give each other something to take on the trip. He gave us the rock, which he picked up on one of his othe journeys, and we gave him a piece of Marble we picked up in Greece.

We thought it would be fun for the rocks to have little adventures of their own. I love police motorcycles, so that was the start..and, of course, the rock had to meet the Booth Babes at the show :)