engine oil temp sensor

nigev11

Guest ratchethack
Did I miss anything?

Not much, by my reckoning. Good post.

The plastic receptacle will always degrade from heat and fail if the sensor is removed, vs. the longevity of a metal holder. [a bad thing]

Not always. I've had mine out and separated literally dozens of times. It's got 33K miles on it, and it's still as solid and intact as it was the first time it came out.

. . .this post is too long by half... :lol:

Only to those less than sincerely interested. ;)

As for the likes o' "those" -- who cares how long they might think it is? :huh2:

Did I miss anything? Yes? Too bad, this post is too long by half... :lol:

Yes. The caveat "is said to" by most of those things stated as fact. I've put those sensor holders on DOZENS of bikes myself and sold maybe 300 of them, I have one on my own bike and 24k miles experience with it, and the only complaint I've ever heard voiced is here, and on one bike. That doesn't mean the complaint is spurious, but it does suggest that it is exceedingly rare. Based on that, I believe the caveat is warranted.

Seems like we are changing the topic from the sensor's spec'd sensitivity to the sensitivity interpreted by the ECU.

The only place Guzzi or Weber/Marrelli would have put this alleged resistor is in the ECU, right?

What Resistance maximizes the sensitivity so that 90-110C is the most the sensitive, and what proof do we have that that is resistance used by the ECU?

That is precisely what I intended to say, Dan talks about the sensor itself. Did you? I did start by asking what charts you refered to.

Are you still talking about sensitivity, and not accuracy? We have been shown that we can move the point of "largest slew" with the bridge resistor, but we can't move the point where the sensor is accurate.

What was incorrect is your statement that the sensor "is ranged to be most sensitive in the 90C to 110C area."

The charts show the greatest difference between 30 and 40 which I believe indicates it is ranged to be most sensitive between 30C to 40C area. Unless I am missing something....

What is also is incorrect is that you shut up. :lol:

Thankfully you did not shut up as your comments are greatly appreciated and informative, although not always 100% correct, as none of our comments are always correct.

If I am incorrect, perhaps you could explain why the sensor is more sensitive in the 90C to 110C area, than the 30C to 40C area??????

Perhaps it has something to do with the pre-load resistor value that G2G posted about, but his chart does not seem to support greatest sensitivity in the 90-110 range.

Or is that part of his fish bait that I had missed?

BTW where is the original bait that G2G posted? I'll go back and look for when Raz corrected him....

G2G, please don't do that again!!!

Once again, I'm sorry for the poor choice of words. It is very possible I had a bourbon in front of me while typing as I usually come here in my leisure time. I should have known each word would be dissected. And I also should have known it would be brought up time after time. If you look back you'll see that this sticking point has been covered already but I'll reiterate: Please realize that my intention was range of accuracy when I stated sensitive, as we've agreed, mid range is the area of most accuracy, mid range is where the curve is on the graph. Curve on the graph is around 90-110. I guess you just want to beat this to death. As this topic has devolved into a pissing match I will now most certainly shut up. I see no further point in participating. I have not seen any more useful information here lately nor do I have any more to offer.

Ask G2G about his "bait". He made the claim a couple of pages ago. Could be he's just covering his ass for bad info though.

It is very possible I had a bourbon in front of me while typing as I usually come here in my leisure time.

Me, too. What brand makes your sensors the most sensitive?

Right now I'mm higher than a U2 after brushing bedliner paint onto my newly home-made flow bench. That stuff is HARSH.

my newly home-made flow bench.

That sounds like fun. I for one would appreciate a little presentation and some pictures if you'd care to share. Mmm.. a brand new thread with only one single page!

That sounds like fun. I for one would appreciate a little presentation and some pictures if you'd care to share. Mmm.. a brand new thread with only one single page!

I will. I want to play with it some, first, though. I want to get the Eldo to 65 rwhp and the V11 to 90. I'm too loaded right now to do anything but wobble around.

Me, too. What brand makes your sensors the most sensitive?

Greg, I'm starting a new thread called hooch in 24/7

Guest ratchethack
Got any photos of the heat sink mounted?

By overwhelming popular request -- I just happen to have one. . .Only if you'll forgive the atrocious photography. I think the (formerly) trusty Canon A80's CCD chip is finally headed South. That's the excuse I'm using lately, anyway. :blush:

post-1212-1236646113_thumb.jpg

By overwhelming popular request -- I just happen to have one. . .Only if you'll forgive the atrocious photography. I think the (formerly) trusty Canon A80's CCD chip is finally headed South. That's the excuse I'm using lately, anyway. :blush:

Thanks Ratchet.

The more I think about it, the more I like your strategy. :bier:

Once again, I'm sorry for the poor choice of words. It is very possible I had a bourbon in front of me while typing as I usually come here in my leisure time. I should have known each word would be dissected. And I also should have known it would be brought up time after time. If you look back you'll see that this sticking point has been covered already but I'll reiterate: Please realize that my intention was range of accuracy when I stated sensitive, as we've agreed, mid range is the area of most accuracy, mid range is where the curve is on the graph. Curve on the graph is around 90-110. I guess you just want to beat this to death. As this topic has devolved into a pissing match I will now most certainly shut up. I see no further point in participating. I have not seen any more useful information here lately nor do I have any more to offer.

Ask G2G about his "bait". He made the claim a couple of pages ago. Could be he's just covering his ass for bad info though.

I did ask G2G and am waiting a response, with baited breathe :lol:

I don't think it is a matter of dissecting words.

And you have certainly had your share in beating this to death.

G2G and I merely wanted a simple correction or clear explanation why what you said was correct.

We got neither. I thought Raz could clear this up, but apparently not.

As I stated before, the sensor is rated at 5% accuracy from -40>+125°C

FWIW the mid range of that is 42.5°C coincidence?