V11 Sport Steering Head "Brackets" (?)

joe camarda

I'm thinking about mounting Triumph Speed3 dual headlights onto my 01 V11 Sport. I did so onto my SV650 and really liked the "goofy" bug-eye effect. Anyway, the logical mounting point would be the steering head, which on my Sport has two small (2 inch +-) tubes welded horizontally across the front of the head. They seem to have no use on my Sport and I've spent many sleepless nights wondered what their purpose is.

In my sleepless deliriums I've come to the conclusion that they were put there for me to mount the Triumph Speed3 headlights....which on a Speed3 would mount thusly (front to rear) : the headlights mount onto the front of a 5 inch bracket. The rear of the bracket has two holes for attachment to the Triumph steering head. Ideally (yeah right) the holes in the Triumph bracket would align with the "tube" holes on my Sport's steering head. (They won't so I'll need an adapter).

Anyone care to comment as to whether or not the tubes on my Sport's steering head would support the weight of the forward mounted Speed3 dual headlights, as well as the mounting bracket and the necessary adapter?

BTW..Mike, I really like the reverse cones! Theyre sweet!

Lastly, please send a group hug to Carl. He has discovered that HIS V11 Sport lacks these steering head "tubes" and he is in a deep funk :huh2: over this. He NEEDS your love and support (and I need your advice). TIA, Joe :rasta:

Joe,

the 2 pipes originate from the daytona, there the whole headlight/fearing is mounted on them, later the le mans used it also to mount it's faring/headlight on.

And now the v11 cafe, has it's small fairing/speedometer mounted on it. So it should be enough for your lights only. But why mount them on the frame, ond not on the triple clamp? On the frame they have to be far front, so the steering will work.

Or buy the G&B furia headlightset, that will mount in a vertical posistion. I've seen somewhere a v11 with that arangement.

06.jpg

Sleepless nights Joe? Every time I tell you that those twin bug eyes are hideously ugly (my personal opinion, not meant to be foisted upon others as the ultimate truth or whatever) you make another step towards actually putting them on! Go for it, if it makes you happy, certainly it would be a boon during the night portion of your commute.

As for the mount lugs. They're real strong. The Daytona's, Daytona RS's and the Sport 1100i's use these mount points for the fairing sub-frame, instruments, headlight, regulator, vapory recovery systems and a fiberglass half-fairing. Not to put too fine a point on it, the weight and catilever stress of all of this stuff is far greater than that of the dual headlight installation.

I asked John Stoddart about these mounts at the National last week. So far, my 2001 V11 Sport TT is the only V11 Sport I've seen that does NOT have these mounts. Drat. I could use them. It seems that at some point late in production for the 2001 models, these mount points were dropped, only to be resurface again for the fairing on the V11 LeMans and the later bikes like the Cafe Sport and the Bellagio (which I saw the second day they were at Moto International. Nice bikes, but I'm a clip-on sort of guy). According to John, the new mount points are not the same as the old ones, but until measured by someone, I'm going to say that they're probably the same. After all, they're using the same jig to build the frame and there have never been any mechanical problems with the old ones. I can't see that there would be any production expediency in changing them.

...hey Joe, I think the Triumph lights would look great :thumbsup:

That's my favorite part of the Speed Triple, and I came within a hair's breath of buying one of those!

Be sure to post pics when the conversion is done, especially of any custom bracketry reguired.

If I had an unfaired Sport, this would be one of the first 'cosmetic' mods I'd consider.

al

A couple weeks agoI saw a Kawasaki 1200 with a fairing that looked kine of like the Magni fairing only with twin headlights. Very nice!

The owner said it was made in Japan. The name did not stick with me long enough to remeber it ....I think it began with D.

Did a search on the web but could not find it.

found this though:

acer.jpg

from http://www.streetfighterdirect.com/acatalo...og/BANDITp.html

They also have unfaired "Unatec T5 Twin Headlight Conversion Kit"

Which may be cheaper than going through Triumph.

And this carbon fiber one is interesting

bikini%20fairing.jpg

Here is another option http://www.aa16.co.uk/a16banditheadlightconversion.htm

and another

http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/newstreet/lights2.gif

Guest JoshM

Hey folks,

I sold my '00 Speed Triple shortly after obtaining my '01 V11 Sport. Just about the only thing I miss about the Speed Triple is the very bright and even light from the headlights. The Sport is kind of dim and blotchy by comparison. So, they will certainly help with night rides (not sure about the looks, however ^_^ ).

JoshM

:thumbsup:

IMHO ....I think that looks really cool, although I think the larger Speed Triple lights would look better.

In general I'm not a big fan of projector beams on motorcycles, as I think they just look too small. But substitute the twin ~6" beams from the Triumph, and you've got a stand-out neat looking bike :P:

al

That's not just ugly, it's fugly! Do what you like gents, I'll keep the round, plain, traditional headlight. BTW, the headlight pattern on the V11 Sport is an order of magnitude better than the one from the rectangular headlight on the Sport 1100i.

Paul, Actually that wasnt what I had in mind...but after viewing your post, I think it looks kinda cool! Whatever option I choose, I will take into account the "aggravation factor" to Carl! "fugly".... :o