Penske Time?

Mike Stewart

I have been waiting about 3 months to install the rear Penske shock in my 00 V11 Sport. Picked up my bike that was at the dealer for two months (that is another story) and proceeded to take the bike apart to install the trick Penske shock. Everything was going as planed until the old unit was removed. I noticed that the Penske shock had smaller eyelets where the 12 mm. bolts pass through. Humm, No problem, I could machine new ones to fit. I then measured the length of the Penske shock (center to center) and it measured 14 mm. longer than the trusty Sachs shock. Now this is going to be a problem. With the shock this long the driveline comes with in a gnats ass of rubbing on the swingarm when the shock is fully extended. I wanted to raise the rear of the bike to steepen the head angle but this might be to close for comfort.

Back to square one,

Mike

Guest Jeff Kelland

Mike, do you mean driveshaft when you say driveline? And how much is a gnat's ass? I'm serious, if it doesn't hit, it doesn't hit. If you had .025 or so something would really have to flex for contact to occur and full extension is (should be?) a fairly rare occurrance. just my 2 cts. Jeff

Does it realy hit the swingarm?

Yep, with the shock installed and shock bolts loose, I put a slight upward pressure on the swingarm to remove all the play from the mounting bolts. There is still slight binding/ rubbing from the driveshaft against the swingarm. See picture.

I have raised the rear of my 03 Rosso and measured the clearance and there is about .060 inches (1 mm.) between the swingarm and driveshaft. The rear of the Rosso did sit about 1 inch. higher in the rear than my 00 Sport. The good news is the steering head angle is now at 25 degrees. :thumbsup:

The Penske shock length is adjustable but is adjusted to the shortest length. I guess I will be giving them a call tomorrow.

The shock came with a dyno graph of the shock and had Moto Guzzi V11 printed on the graph. Maybe it was mixed up with another shock?

Mike

hrmm, odd.... yes I wonder as well if maybe they just sent you the incorrect shock, especially considering the incorrect diameter eyelets as well?? :huh2:

BTW, this is great though... once you get the Penske on the '00 Sport, you'll have the 'alternate' suspension combination I am considering all on one bike!

- Penske rear, LE modified Marz front

as opposed to all Ohlins front and rear.

....really can't wait for your comparison between this combo and the all Ohlins setup on the Rosso. BTW, do you have a quick and dirty perpective on the LE front after riding the '00 home from Moto Italiano, after riding the Rosso for the last month or two??

I'm really crossing my fingers that it comes out "close enough" in performance between the two alternatives so that I can save some dough, and keep the black front forks :grin: Unless you find the Penske worlds better in the rear, I actually might like to go for the Ohlins out back since it has the remotely adjustable preload. That would be great for trips and the incidental 2-up ride :bike:

al

• 7 years later...

I have been waiting about 3 months to install the rear Penske shock in my 00 V11 Sport. Picked up my bike that was at the dealer for two months (that is another story) and proceeded to take the bike apart to install the trick Penske shock. Everything was going as planed until the old unit was removed. I noticed that the Penske shock had smaller eyelets where the 12 mm. bolts pass through. Humm, No problem, I could machine new ones to fit. I then measured the length of the Penske shock (center to center) and it measured 14 mm. longer than the trusty Sachs shock. Now this is going to be a problem. With the shock this long the driveline comes with in a gnats ass of rubbing on the swingarm when the shock is fully extended. I wanted to raise the rear of the bike to steepen the head angle but this might be to close for comfort.

Back to square one,

Mike

So, do you still hve the old Sachs Boge that was on there before? If it is still working, I would love to buy it from you. I am shockless and can't find an affordable alternative until I can afford the 400-1300 shock price. Just need something to get me through the work drought.