FYI, a collection of US roads

jrt

Sounds like a calling for www.v11lemans.com members to compile a collection of WORLD roads. Wild Guzzi uses these categories.

State:

Road:

Highway:

Condition:

Curves:

Traffic:

Credit:

Email:

I think we can do better! :bier:

Seems like a go to me, although I would give the credit to the engineers, road maintenance crews and the taxpayers that paid for them. As far as an email, after being oblivious to posted speed limits to enjoy some of these roads to the maximum, why point the finger at yourself? :bike:

I agree with you Carl, and an opinion about a road should be a collaborative work.

One person's opinion is only worth so much.

So how about:

Road Name:

Curves:

Twisties:

Hairpins:

scenery:

Condition:

Traffic:

Weather:

Landmarks:

Speed Traps:

Miles between gas stations:

Restaurants:

Motels:

Or how about a Keep it simple approach,

Road Name and Location:

Comments:

dlaing,

I'd suggest going with your second idea. A few words (e.i. "very tight, twisty and bumpy with lots of elevation change" Vs. "fast, flowing and smooth") tells you more than a large number of fill-in-the-blanks.

How about:

Road name and location

First member's comment (limit 100 words)

Second member's comment (limit 100 words)

etc.

We might have suggestion for content (condition of road surface, animals, location of gas/ food/ hotels/ campgrounds, level of traffic and police patrolling* and ??) but let the members decide what to say.

FWIW, I'd suggest we limit roads here to outside the US with a link to the Wild Guzzi site, no point in duplicating the information.

I also agree with Carl's comment, any ideas how we can do this so the information is presented anonymously? I don't think we want this to become a bragging site but it would be nice to not add to the police's case.

Cheers,

Lex

*Favorite comment in this area: I asked a local about patrolling on a road in New Zealand, she replied "The MOT comes by on Thursdays", it was Tuesday. B)

....all excellent ideas, but here's one other thing to consider... many of the "best" roads in the USA, and I'd venture worldwide, have already been reviewed extensively by regional riders.

In those cases, whoever wanted to review "road X" might want to search to see if a review is already extant, and just cite that URL for the extended comments. No need to reinvent the wheel ^_^

Great examples are at: www.pashnit.com

Just some additional thoughts... :D

al

Al,

Good point. I'll start looking around for road web sites, if anybody has any suggestions please send them to me (on or off list) so I can put them together.

If we find anything not covered we can look into adding our own.

Make sense?

Cheers,

Lex

Al,

Good point. I'll start looking around for road web sites, if anybody has any suggestions please send them to me (on or off list) so I can put them together.

If we find anything not covered we can look into adding our own.

Make sense?

Cheers,

Lex

If nobody else is covering the road, maybe we should keep it a secret. ;)

• 9 months later...
Guest Roadslayer

If anyone wants to do the Copper Canyon thing I would be happy to help out. The 'little lady' and I did it in Sept. last and have all the latest dope on the whole trip. 'E' me here roadslayer.