electrical gremlins baffle me

Guest goosesport

Guest goosesport

V11 Sport electrical gremlins

I am baffled by the electrical problems I’m having with my recently acquired 2001 V11 Sport. Please point me in the right direction to a solution:

Problems:

1.Intermittent failure to turn over the starter motor. Most of the time it works but sometimes not. Same thing hot or cold.

2.Brake light fails to light up with either brake. However it will light up a low wattage test lamp. Tail light functions.

3.Tachometer cuts out when parking lights are switched on or brake lever pulled.

4.Oil pressure light never lit up until yesterday when the starter would not crank..

Battery is charged and connection cleaned. Swapped the Siemans relays around and cleaned contacts.

What next?

Guest jeremy

unfortunatly the next step is to take and clean every ground conection on the entire bike. this was comon with older spine frames and can give some sports trouble, after that start pulling apart connections and cleaning. :vomit:

:drink:

I had a similar problem this past weekend.

the Tachometer went out, I cursed!

I filled up with gas and it would not start, I cursed again!

I pushed down on the fuses, and then it started.

I drove home and it lost ignition a couple of times and stalled twice.

And then it would not start again.

I switched all the relays around and then it worked.

I noticed that if I leave the middle relay out, everything still works, what it up with that???

I think I'll order another set of relays from Dan P.

[That.. and the current relays, as the original relays are problematic. For ~$30 you can replace them all.]

I was going to pick up a spare relay last weekend at ProItalia, until the parts guy quoted me a price of $37.00 for one! Where do you get them?

Guest oldtoolie

Yep, it was the relays. I trekked over to MotoMecca at lunch -- £47 the set

of Bosch but satisfaction achieved. Everything works now and the rains have gone. The weekend beckons.

goosesport

oldtoolie

So much for my assessment of the problem. I'm going to go sit in the corner now. Relay, I mean really...

couldn't voltage drops due to bad connections cause the relay to fail.

For example if the relay is only getting say 10.9 V rather than say 11.3 V, then it might not activate, especially if the relay is getting old and tire.

So relay, I mean really the problem still could be a bad connection that makes the problem worse when the relay does not click over due to a lack of voltage, or the relay does not click over with enough force to get a good connection.

couldn't voltage drops due to bad connections cause the relay to fail.

Absolutely. And it is for this very reason that I started doing the color schematics for Guzzis. I had to push my Sport 1100i twice because of a poor connection that prevented the power relay for the ECU to activate. A bad connector that wasn't on the diagram was the culprit. After that experience, I thought I would make sure the schematic was updated.

It was a bad realy connection (fuel pump relay) that had me pushing my bike the last mile to work a couple of weeks ago. Fixed that up and it's been fine ever since.

I'm still running the original relays in my Sport 1100i. 57K+ miles. One stuck once. A tap and it worked again. I ran the original relays in my V11 Sport to 22,000 miles and they were replaced while looking for another problem. You neve know with Guzzi's just which electrical malady will rear its ugly little head.

Guest PAULSMART
Yep, it was the relays. I trekked over to MotoMecca at lunch -- £47 the set

of Bosch but satisfaction achieved. Everything works now and the rains have gone. The weekend beckons.

goosesport

oldtoolie

:o I replaced all my relays with Bosch ones over the weekend - instant cure all ! - I obtained mine from a Bosch automotive supplier - via Bosch web site - cost £5 each - a bit cheaper than Motomecca but not as cheap as the States - But what price can you put on preventing a breakdown !!

Paul