To bodge or not to bodge..

Ouiji Veck

NO it's a'' fair repair'' in my book, no bodge points there. :D:bike:

:stupid:

As long as that is stainless steel, I think it is a very well done repair, possibly deservative of the designation, "upgrade" :bier:

My only concern would be in the event of an accident there would be a very small increase in the likelihood of injury, but that is a MINOR nitpick

Guest ratchethack

Nicely done, Weej. ^_^

Here's wot I came up with. It's made out of a scrap of 4 mm T6.

post-1212-1181137594_thumb.jpg

Guest Nogbad

Unfortunately I can't see the picture at the moment due to an overzealous antivirus package.

You cannot really weld reliably any kind of ferrous metal (ferritic or austentic) to cast aluminium.

Aluminium to aluminium fine within reason, e.g. to your cast stand you could weld any 6000 or 7000 series wrought alloy, plain cp aluminium sheet etc. on the understanding that you would lose any work hardening or heat treated properties near the weld. You can't weld the 4000 series alloys (once known as Dural) as the alloying is lost.

If this really is some kind of steel scrap stuck on with something akin to solder, it most certainly IS a bodge, and I shall be asking the Quizpoint moderator Mr DeBen to attach a bodge point.

Guest Nogbad

Not entirely clear but it looks like the toehold is held on with two pan headed (maybe button headed) socket headed cap screws. No bodgery present.

Yes I see that now I have reconfigured the AV!

Sorry!

Ratch...

I like yours a lot better..

I'll be upgrading to something like that.

It was a quick 20 minute job to get me through the day.

It'll be as short as my 29in inseam will allow too.

Nog..

The welding was wire to wire...not wire to kick stand.

And yes..I almost arched it up in place....but thought the ECU might not like it.

Guest ratchethack

Well thanks, Weej. But best check y'er reach before going this way. Mine requires more of a stretch to nab it with the foot than the stock one. Note that mine angles DOWN off the stand while retracted, not UP, and FORWARD while down, not BACK. I've got a 34 inch inseam and it's no prob, but a 29?..... How's your flexibility? ;)

It works simply splendiferously, but I mostly made it the way I did because I had a cut-off piece of T6 in roughly the finished shape already in the scrap bin, just needed holes bored, finished off and bent to shape. :cheese:

Steve...

Well mine was fine for 29K mi plus.

Then one day I stuck my toe down there and,,,and ..annddd...

Everyone else was already popin' beers and I was still fishin' around. :homer:

Ratch...Even with my 29in inseam I've determined I can lose about

2 1/2 inches of that foolish thing. Gonna look a lot better.

Only Guzzi .... :mg: we can actually contribute to the design.

I like it. :P

Nicely done, Weej. ^_^

Here's wot I came up with. It's made out of a scrap of 4 mm T6.

how much? I'll take one, anything to get ride of that silly big ol' wire loop guzzi put on there, I'm tall enough I can easilly reach what youve come up with there but I'm not so good at fabricating, well anything. Anyone wanna make me one similar to ratchets? I'll pay ya for it. :bier:

Guest Nogbad

Anyone wanna make me one similar to ratchets? I'll pay ya for it. :bier:

Ben, bodge yourself something and add to that collection of points. It's educational, learning through bodging; and very entertaining for the rest of us. Go on, you know you want to. Some people have raised bike bodging to an art form and have become very rich! Look at Orange County Choppers.