Guzzi Performance ECU

Can't find the specs that came w the Ti kit, but as I remember it FI was set up as stock spec (02 bike). I could remember wrong.

Fitting cans was straight forward but getting them lined up (I never did fully) involved a bit of farting around inc cutting half inch off oneside of Stucchi x-over outlet.

When I ran it with kit ECU (Mine was marked Cali but w paint blob thru it - I found story same as Waspp tells it) it wasn't great, seemed rich & lumpy but definitely pulled harder. Stock ECU ran smoother, but stuck w kit ECU cos I'd rather be a little rich than weak. Soon as I could, I got PC111 & dyno run - made all the difference - runs smooth, pulls hard. Definitely worth doing (or go with Cliff's unit which I hear can be set up to get fuelling & ign even better).

KB :sun:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked the bike up. There is a marked improvement over yesterday. Pulls like a train from 3000 up. Lower rpm 1000-2900 seems pretty good, definitely smoother, but real magic happens at 3000. Definitely better than stock. Apparently, they upped the CO (made it richer) by .5% and seemed to cure a lot of ills.

Next step will be to put the Stucchi cross-over on, at which time, a PCIII and a trip to a dyno are in order.

I'll post the part number for my '02 Ti ECU sometime soon so you can see if the part numbers are the same.

I just checked my "Moto Guzzi Titanio Kit" labeled ECU. No part number at all, just "02" written on the back with a sharpie :huh2:

Glad to hear that the shop got your bike running better Witch City...

My morning was occupied with running a 10k race, then doing some work on my wife's V50III.

Now I get to turn my attention to the V11.

I mounted mine on the original rear peg brackets. No problem. Or did you mean the brackets that replace the original rear footpeg assembly, or are you talking about the straps that wrap around the cans and then attach to that bracket?

talking about the ones that replace the original footpeg assembly.

Gonna see if I can snap this stuff together in a few hours... will see if my 10 thumbs can move that quickly!

:helmet:

I just checked my "Moto Guzzi Titanio Kit" labeled ECU. No part number at all, just "02" written on the back with a sharpie :huh2:

Glad to hear that the shop got your bike running better Witch City...

Mine also was written on the back in a sharpie that said "kit" :lol:

Just finished the installation!

Titanium kit sounds friggin awesome!

FYI - my ECU has a plastic insert on it that said it was the racing titanium kit... it also had black sharpie on the back of it.

I'll post pics fo the R&R tonight or tomorrow.

Gonna go for a ride into Old Town with my bride to our favorite Italian restaurant in celebration!

:bike:

:mg:

:race:

Interestingly enough, my ECU does not have a sticker on it that says Titanio Racing. I wonder if I got screwed out of the Race ECU. Perhaps someone grabbed the ECU out of the box and put their stock ECU in the box.

It was all wrapped up in the bubble wrap with the Guzzi stickers clear tape all around it. Interesting.

No idea why yours doesn't have it... It looks to be a simply glued on plastic marker, whereas it was a paper sticker on the old ECU. Yours could have just come off... :huh2:

I hope you didn't get screwed.

But since the dealer's got the bike running well for you now, sounds like no harm either way.

The instructions did say you'd need to balance throttle bodies... but that didn't seem to be necessary on my little ride last night.

It sounded sweet all the way through the range, and no hiccups anywhere.

The one thing that is a bit annoying (I'll fix it tonight) is at low revs one of the hooks on the springs that secures the can to the mounting pipe vibrates and makes a little rattling sound... I'm sure I can just crimp it a bit tighter (closed) so it doesn't touch the pipe and make the noise... the trick will be finding which of the 8 hooks is the one vibrating!

Funny thing - the "hardest" part of the install was getting those goofy rubber sleeves over the springs.

No idea why yours doesn't have it... It looks to be a simply glued on plastic marker, whereas it was a paper sticker on the old ECU. Yours could have just come off... :huh2:

I hope you didn't get screwed.

But since the dealer's got the bike running well for you now, sounds like no harm either way.

I'm suspecting that someone did indeed make off with the ECU that was supposed to come with the pipes. I looked at the ECU again today, (the one that is supposed to be the race ECU) and the paper sticker on it says "California" with some numbers, similar to my stock one except that one says, "V11/Lemans. I'm starting to think that my Ballabio has been tuned to a Guzzi California ECU. :homer: I removed that ECU and put the stock one back in, and now that it is richened up a bit runs better. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and try to find out what the score is with that ECU. I'm sure I won't be able to get my hands on the Race Titanio ECU now, so I think I'm looking at a PCIII in conjunction with the stock ECU.

Funny thing - the "hardest" part of the install was getting those goofy rubber sleeves over the springs.

You ain't lyin' !!!!

I'm suspecting that someone did indeed make off with the ECU that was supposed to come with the pipes. I looked at the ECU again today, (the one that is supposed to be the race ECU) and the paper sticker on it says "California" with some numbers, similar to my stock one except that one says, "V11/Lemans. I'm starting to think that my Ballabio has been tuned to a Guzzi California ECU.

Awe, man - that don't sound right at all! :wacko:

Best of luck getting one - I believe they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Prolly much better off with the PCIII and taking her to be custom dyno mapped.

Interestingly enough, my ECU does not have a sticker on it that says Titanio Racing. I wonder if I got screwed out of the Race ECU. Perhaps someone grabbed the ECU out of the box and put their stock ECU in the box.

It was all wrapped up in the bubble wrap with the Guzzi stickers clear tape all around it. Interesting.

That should not be a problem. My Titan ECU hadnt been marked in any way, no Sharpie on the back, nothing. Wrapped in bubble plastic with Guzzi tape and put into the big box with the rest of the stuff it was unmistakably the dogs danglies anyway. Bike was transformed and went like a rabid dog compared to the stock setup.

Too bad my halfbrained tech screwed it up later, I am saving up for a Cliff Special ECU now.

Theres is a lot of difference between Ti and stock ECU in driving feel.

Why should anyone rip off a grey box? The market is brimming with those kind of WMs from Ducces, Laverdas ec, ready to be flashed.

...the paper sticker on it says "California"..

Mine too. I had same concerns. Just a blob of yellow paint over sticker. Spoke to a couple of dealers familiar w MG factory practice. Both told me it was likely they had a bin of stock ECU's & programmed/stickered em to suit application. When stickers ran out they just used what was to hand & reprogrammed it for kit, in my case a Cali ECU.

From what I know of MG I can believe that.

Mine didn't run great when kit ECU fitted with pipes, but it felt to be running rich. I figured with the open pipes & xover, if it was a stock Cali item it would have felt weak? I dunno, but once I'd done PC111 & dyno it runs great so I moved on.

KB :sun:

When using the axone or ultimap diagnose system, there is an opportunity to read the software code from the ECU.

It would be worth to do this on different TI kit and stock ECUs for comparison.

I once had a wonderful V11 Ballabio which ran smoothly, sounded great (Tit. kit) and returned 20km's/ litre then it went in for its 10k sevice and I got back a evil vibrating petrol guzzling shit box. Apart from discovering that the obvious challenge tuning late model Guzzi's presented to this particular dealer is too much I discovered that my Tit. ECU was not dinky-di. It was unusualy marked Cali but, according to the dealer, " it was the right one". I did a bit of ringing around other Guzzi dealers and came to the conclusion that it was a flashed version and my original was M.I.A.. I sent the impostor ECU to Duanne Mitchel@ FIM who replied saying that he had never seen this type before though it was the right map but it was coded MGS01/V11. Very strange.

A complaint was made to the distributors who magically found me a real one which is marked O1 on the back and organised for another dealer to install it. I went and had this done and was given back a bike that blew shitloads of black smoke out of one cylinder?????, chewed as bad as 12km/litre and vibrated like a turd. The other reassuring aspect of this changeover was that the mechanic gave me back my old standard ECU but had broken the plastic port hole. Great news. Another complaint to the distributors resulted in me sending this ECU and the fake one back to them so I could have the broken one repaired which they did.

Next step, do it yourself. A mate had imported the diagnostic software so we checked a few things. The tps was set at 2.6 so we reset it to factory settings. The bike wouldn't run. Following all the recommended procedures we ended up with the Tps at 7 odd degrees. That was just to make it idle! By this stage I had had enough so I put back in the standard ECU reset the Tps to 515mv and things started to come right. Feeling adventurous I put back in the Tit ECU. The result? No response off idle while blipping down through the gears f*** all pickup accelerating out of corners and almost conking out when you came to a stop. Apart from that it was great when you gave it the berries though the fuel consumption is never more than 16km/litre no matter how you treat it. So back in goes the old ECU.

I am on my third maybe fourth ECU and the only one that worked was the one that was in the bike before it was serviced. All of them have had different markings on them so I am sure the only way to find what they are is to get someone to read the codes. The tuning is very straight forward but i'm convinced that it can't always be done properly without a CO2/O2 meter.